Bank of America

6,591 Reviews

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan
2,810 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance including remote work from home for certain positions (in 389 reviews)

• They have a program called MyWork which allows you to work from home or from any location (in 213 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seems to be skewed towards work side more often than not (in 157 reviews)

• upper management failed to listen to the lower ranks often missing oppertuinitys (in 178 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good if you are at senior level

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have good benefits, 12 week paternity leave, 100% 401k matching for first 5%, 2% additional matching. Very good telecommuting program.

Cons

There is a serious traffic jam on the corporate ladder. Don't hope too much to move up. Instead try to move up by moving around in the company. A lot of red tap, although they are trying to streamline the entire company.

For a bank, its employees are it's assets. Don't let your assets be a drag on the balance sheet, instead nurture them and give them real opportunity. Implement a internal job portal. What we have currently seems like it's just a formality.

teller

Current Employee - Teller  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Teller in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Bank of America part-time for more than a year

Pros

You have great opportunity to advance if you want to stick around in the next 3-10+ years. Like any other customer service jobs, you get to see different people and talk to them. Some of the customers are really nice and we usually had a great time talking when doing transactions

Cons

It really depend on the managers, if your manager is really good and knows how to be a leader, you will have a great time. However, vice versa, some of my friends left the company within 2 months because he/she couldnt stand the manager.

more communications overall inside the bank are needed. Since the HR department is not easy to reach, managers need to be more caring to their people.

Challenging organization with many process improvement opportunities bringing job satisfaction

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Training, teamwork, partnership, communication and rewards

Cons

Not completing projects that add value to the organization

None

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Unpaid Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Irvine, CA

I worked at Bank of America as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great Place to start. Great connections with company.

Cons

No pay for interns in the department

Pay us

Former AVP/Product Marketing Manager I in Insurance Services

Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Bank of America full-time

Pros

Excellent compensation and benefits, great volunteer program, overall a wonderful company to work for. I wish I still worked there!

Cons

The company failed to effectively integrate into the Bank of America culture those companies it acquired through various buyouts. The division in which I worked bore very little resemblance to what I I was introduced to during my orientation. In fact, I found myself working with people from two different company cultures, neither of which had the sense of balance or enthusiasm that Bank of America demonstrates in its orientation training. Extremely inflexible culture within their in-house advertising agency (which originated within an East Coast bank with a far more rigid culture). I found the inflexibility and rigid demands too much and, unfortunately, lost my job. I would love to work for Band of America again, but not within one of its acquired companies!

When acquiring companies, make it clear that they are part of Bank of America and need to adapt to BofA's culture, which stresses more balance and rewards.

Good place to work while in school.

Former Employee - Teller  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Teller in Irvine, CA

I worked at Bank of America

Pros

great place to work when in school because of the tuition reimbursement

Cons

managers are often incompetent and dont listen to lower level employees.

Be a better leader and not just a manager.

Fair and Mellow

Current Employee - Senior Operations Project Analyst  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Operations Project Analyst in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

Work experience differs greatly between Lines of Business and managers. My experiences is great with diligent and fair management and good compensation, but have heard horror stories from other employees. My Work (working from home) is a nice perk some positions can take advantage of. Make sure you get along well with your direct before getting into new positions.

Cons

NYSE: BAC... Facilities are uninspiriting / depressing...Old employees with grim outlook...Getting responses from employees that role up to a different management team...incompetence is ignored

BAC is facing many headwinds but should be able to come out without too much damage. Get our Legacy Issues behind us and focus on client integration. The customer experience needs to either be segmented (like old navy, gap and banana) or standardized across all LOBs. (I.e. Merrill Private wealth clients need to know they can go into branches and be treated with the same level of service or provide that service in another location)

Management only cares about profit

Former Employee - Banking Center Assistant Manager  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Banking Center Assistant Manager in Irvine, CA

I worked at Bank of America

Pros

Ability to have a semi-flexible schedule

Cons

Management touts customer service values, but all they really care about is making the most amount of money at the expense of others.

It was a good place to work during college but not a career choice for me.

Current Employee - Teller  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Teller in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

They have really great benefits, I didn't have to be employed for a year to have two weeks paid vacation, health benefits, 401 K, premium Bank of America products, tuition reimbursement ect.

Cons

As a Teller or Personal Banker we are required to say cheesy lines like, "I'd love to help you here" or "Thanks for banking with us, keep us in mind for your future banking needs", to EVERY customer. In addition to that we are paid HORRIBLE for the amount of work and stress we deal with.

No comment

Good College Job

Former Employee - Teller and Personal Banker  in  Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Teller and Personal Banker in Irvine, CA

I worked at Bank of America

Pros

I'd say Bank of America is a good place to work if and only if you are a college student. Schedule is flexible as long as you give them notice before hand. Required to work saturdays if you are part time. 2 weeks paid vacation is a plus.

Salary is competitive. I started from $10 and was raised to $14 in one years time. Key is to meet quarterly goals and you have to DEMAND for it. I was about to leave for another bank but they raised my pay so i stayed. If you do good they'll do a lot of things in your favor.

Benefits are excellent. Covers dental, health, insurance. Again I stress it is only a good job if you are a student. Bank of America pays $5200 a year for tuition reimbursement. You just have to be working at "meets expectations" and manager will approve it without second thoughts.

Wear your own suit to work is a plus. I know Chase has those ugly blue shirts and I sympathize with them.

Cons

Sales sales sales. If you are not good at sales you will suffer. Managers breathe down your neck every second. Mark my words. Expect to do a lot of sales in this position. This is not a position to be if you are uncomfortable with sales. I've seen 2 employees getting fired in 1 month for not meeting their monthly goal. Some managers will have you stay on Saturday afternoons to do cold calling to meet your goals.

Stupid guidelines: no water at desk. C'mon, I'm a teller, I speak to 30 customers per hour. I need my water.

Career advancement is tiny. If you are looking to break into the finance industry, this is not the job. Once you are in retail banking, you are stuck here. A lot of people have the concept that as long as I perform well being a personal banker, I can get licensed and become a financial advisor. WRONG. If you do something great you'll be doing it FOREVER. After being stuck at the PB job for 5 years, I quit and got hired at UBS as a financial advisor. They even asked me why I was still a PB with all the credentials on my resume.

Management needs to be more aware of the talents in their banking centers. I've seen a teller with excellent sales skills stuck being a teller for 5 years, while the manger's buddy gets promoted with questionable sales numbers.

Keep the compensation package, it's what's keeping your good employees after the revised shitty incentive program.

Worked for Bank of America? Contribute to the Community!