Bank of America

6,977 Reviews

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan
2,977 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance including remote work from home for certain positions (in 408 reviews)

• They have a program called MyWork which allows you to work from home or from any location (in 218 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance seems to be skewed towards work side more often than not (in 171 reviews)

• upper management failed to listen to the lower ranks often missing oppertuinitys (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

8 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Loved working for BOFA

Former Employee - Teller Operations Specialist in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Teller Operations Specialist in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Bank of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Started as 20HR teller, full-time 30. Vault, then Senior Teller. I left for about a year so I can pursue real estate. I then returned back home (BOFA) and was almost immediately promoted to TOS. I didm;t mind the pay wasn't so I great. I was part of a remarkable team.

Cons

The pay could be more. After Edgar left, the Banking Center went to crap, Audits were 2 while I was on leave. If you get a 2 on an audit, the BCM should be thrown out head first.

Get it right. We did...
    Left in 09'

Not enough incentives for employees and too much upper management bullying.

Former Employee - Senior Teller in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Senior Teller in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Bank of America part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Offers good health benefits and retirement. The employee discount program is great as well.

Cons

work-life balance isn't great and neither is upper management. There isn't much room for personal growth, especially starting off as a teller. There are limited raises in pay. You are lucky to get a raise once every five years. The management was horrible, because there was a lot of bullying, put downs and power trips. Some managers didn't practice what they preached.

The employees should be respected and appreciated more. The tellers work really hard to get sales and referrals and often don't get credit for them. The credit and the bonuses go to the personal bankers who don't even do half the selling the tellers do. Tellers need more incentives, they need to be appreciated and the managers need to stop bullying and start practicing what they preach. This is why the turnover rate is high. People don't want to work for a company with issues like these. People want to work for companies that really treat their employees well and fair. These are the types of companies people will fight for. Thats why they are the most successful. Unfortunately Bank of America needs to prioritize better.

Very stressful Customer Service Position

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Rio Rancho, NM
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Rio Rancho, NM

I worked at Bank of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, excellent benefits, paid vacation and sick leave, the training is excellent and very detailed, along with a good transitional period from training to the floor with highly skilled and knowledgeable upper-level associates, nice people to work with, you will live for that really pleasant customer interaction where they will love and praise you to balance out the not-so-great ones. The management team really tries to show their appreciation and praise you when you are doing a great job with the customers.

Cons

Some of the challenges I faced were: none of the schedules were ideal, this is not a 9-to-5 job. You are either scheduled early morning or late in the evening, and it is nearly impossible to change once you are locked in. While I was there, they did a shift bid and I ended up with a worse schedule than I had before, and no hope of appeal even though several of us complained. Not being sour grapes, just stating the reality of things. It is a highly stressful job and you are expected to be a robot and do everything perfectly every time following each step or you will get written up. A lot of information to keep in your head and process while trying to remain engaged and friendly with the customer.

Be an advocate for your associates, and not just your subordinate managers. I don't know how many times I felt powerless because upper management would side with my manager and not me. Once, while meeting with my manager and his manager over a call review, my manager was rude and downright flippant to me, and the unit manager just allowed it to happen like this was the normal way to talk to employees. Trust that your employees are smart enough to do their jobs and are capable of performing without 5,000 rules to follow and being treated like children, called into the office and written up for every minor infraction. Also, keep some consistency in which rules will incur harsher penalties if not abided by. I also felt like I was put at a disadvantage when I started because I changed managers every three months. More consistency across the board would allow your employees to have more faith in the organization.

Offers great opportunities

Current Employee - Teller in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Bank of America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits, availability to advance, salaries, and lots of great programs to help you be successful in making a career for yourself.

Cons

Vacation and schedule. Schedule can change pretty much day to day, and hard to plan any type of appointments for yourself and family. Would be better if you could have a consistent schedule. Seniority comes before the time you request. If you got a day off already approved, someone with more seniority can come later and they will change it for them. Regardless

Management needs to have management training. They promote from within which is great but not everyone has the natural capabilities to manage people

Had a great team, straight-forward training, good working environment

Current Employee - Teller in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Bank of America part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I had great teams to train me and get me started on the teller line. The training was about one month (longer if needed as it was mostly self-motivated) and easy to follow and understand. I applied for this job because I had heard banks and credit unions had good working environments, which is definitely the case. The referrals side if the job is not difficult as long as you are comfortable selling to customers a little.

Cons

Part time instead of full time. Quality of the team varies by banking center-unfortunately no guarantee.

Very welcoming and great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

The people I work with are very friendly. Excellent training in place to help me succeed. Great opportunities to move up.

Cons

Large company which makes it a little harder to get recognized. You will work more hours the higher you get promoted

Break some of the news to the employees first, such as new fees, policies, etc... It is tough when a customer comes in asking about fees that none of us heard about except the customer who saw it on good morning america.

Excellent starting position for college graduate.

Former Employee - Personal Banker in Las Cruces, NM
    Former Employee - Personal Banker in Las Cruces, NM

I worked at Bank of America

Pros

Good training. Great sales experience. Wonderful promotion opportunities.

Cons

Incompetent Branch level management. Management will put all the pressure to reach goals on you.

Bank of America should not hesitate to let go of incompetent branch managers who consistently do not meet the branch goals or internal audits.

Worked to the Bone, with no advancement or mentorship

Former Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Senior Personal Banker in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Bank of America

Pros

I suppose everyone needs to eat and have a roof over their heads. This is one way to get it.

Cons

The obsessive compulsive sales culture of this company ignores growing its associates and instead pays for other firms to do it. This bank is a very hungry demon hell bent on having every financial product you could want housed under one roof. Associates are forced to sell accounts clients don't need.

Why do you not mentor your young people to do better in their jobs? Your personal bankers are crying out to do something different and better everyday. Your sales culture causes a lot of employees to become bitter, quickly tired, and leave because of the monotony and stress. What do you gain by treating your people like that?