Bank of America

Bank of America Reviews in New York City, NY

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan

Brian T. Moynihan

Pros
  • The work-life balance can be better but most managers are pretty flexible with you(in 348 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good work /life balance they let a lot of people work from home(in 190 reviews)

Cons
  • Sexism; old BFF network; little work life balance, but they gave lip service to it(in 137 reviews)

• Lack of communication from upper management with regards to procedure changes(in 160 reviews)

417 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsAmazing, would never work any where else

ConsAmazing, would never work any where else

Advice to Senior ManagementAmazing, would never work any where else

Business Control Specialist

Business Control Specialist (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsOne of the best things about the company is the benefits available to the employees.

ConsReally no opportunity for growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company always talks diversity, but really does not practice inclusion.

Extremely Poticial

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat benefits, holiday schedule and base salaries

ConsLimited opportunities; no clear management direction; highly political

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

GMRT&O Intern

GMRT&O (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat team dynamic. Agile programming. HR is great with organizing activities and events for interns to meet with upper level management.

ConsSometimes a bit unorganized. May not have a lot to do all the time. All coding is done using the BAML in-house IDE.

Advice to Senior ManagementWould be nice if company organized more events that support personal growth or team building.

Balance of life and good comp

Director (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSane managers, reasonable hours and reasonable pay. All firms have good and bad managers but BAC seems to have a higher percentage of sensible human managers.

ConsOverly Breaucratic. Lots of caution to avoid the financial disasters of the past. This leads to lots of lists, reviews and audits. Its hard to see that they all have value.

Great company to work for, great opportunities to move around, great opportunities to work with senior engineers.

Consultant - Systems Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat work schedule flexibility, decent upward mobility, decent upper level management. Able to offer suggestions and ask questions about technology.

ConsVery large company, can take longer for decisions to be made. Many different teams designing the same task simultaneously. Roles can be added without additional compensation.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure you understand your job function and how to help the people below you.

Bank of America has great benefits for employees. The perks are better

Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe best reason to work here are the perks. Through their community and charitable contributions, I have met a Nobel Peace Prize winner, got paid to deliver food to the elderly, and walk some great dogs! If you're on a good team, life balance is amazing!

ConsThey really should be more competitive with regard to assistant salaries/bonus. As Wall Street companies go, other brokerage houses and banks pay their assistants better.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you take over someone's company - you should be in charge - not them! We were a great company without Merrill, now we're Merrill's company.

average company, average salary, decent work hours, layoffs everywhere

Vice President - Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosgood work life balance, decent benefits

ConsJob security, exciting opportunities, pay

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider discussing problems, improve on 1-1 conversations, recognize talent

Most Incompetent management I've seen in decades long Wall Street Career

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSomewhat flexible in allowing remote work arrangements
    There are definitely some very smart, talented and capable people--including some leaders/managers--unfortunately the issues outlined in my "cons" makes it tough for such people to shine.

ConsAbsurd number of management levels; incredibly useless and clueless middle management;
    Most middle management I experienced did not understand the work being managed; this resulted in fixating on simplistic metrics that such management could understand--thus being oblivious to the big picture, the mediocrity of the results being produced, or meaningful leadership.
    Management roles are given out in lieu of other meaningful reward; the result is tons of management that has neither the aptitude or skill necessary to lead--and the bank does not provide meaningful leadership training.
    Extremely rigid and hierarchical management structure---that overtly asserts that a "higher" management title translates to a "superior" individual in terms of worth, brains, and competency--despite copious evidence this assertion is false.
    The company is fixated on managing risk--but the most laughable aspects of this is 1) the willful blindness to the risk posed by incompetent management; 2) the culture is not supportive of questioning "superiors"

Advice to Senior ManagementSlash the absurd number of management levels; require all managers--especially "senior" ones like MDs and Directors to get out of the office, and regularly and proactively go out and meet/greet the worker bees, and develop some sense of what is happening in the organization.
    Institute 360 reviews so managers get feedback from those they manage.

Good benefits, but way over worked in an under staffed location

Professional Teller (Former Employee) Lakewood, NJ

ProsBenefits, even for part-time employees.

ConsMy location was extremely understaffed, and a lot was expected from the handful of people that were actually working there. Management only seems to care about your numbers, and since we didn't get real bonuses (only "points" that you could redeem in what was essentially an online gift shop), there was no motivation to sell any product other than to keep your job

Advice to Senior ManagementGive the tellers incentives to give referrals, make sure to staff locations appropriately

Worked for Bank of America? Contribute to the Community!