Bank of America Reviews

Reset
3.5
Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan

Pros
  • Flexibility - work from home program; Work Life Balance; (in 417 reviews)

• Flexibility to work from home when needed (in 223 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/Life balance is biased towards work (in 180 reviews)

• no work-life balance only upper management (in 184 reviews)

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Improve my communication skills Love working with my team Great employees' benefits Lots of learning experience and very happy helping customers to have won-win situation

Cons

Training are intensive, long and boring. The high sales' goal may create stress and induce sales-focused situation when bankers focus on their goals only but neglecting services

Advice to Management

The company should increase more on ground training rather than computer-based training Focus more on relationship banking to retain customers rather than sales

2. Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Teller in Portland, OR

Pros

Predictable schedule, professional environment, fast paced and lots of employee benefits, including tuition reimbursement.

Cons

Work every single Saturday, and company is undergoing a lot of change which may difficult for some to handle.

Advice to Management

Overall you're doing a good job. Rotate Saturday shifts instead of just giving the full weekend to tenured associates every time. It's not fair to force employees to work 6 days a week, 52 weeks of the year.

3. Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Earning a bonus every quarter

Cons

Too many changes creating a major work load for the same pay. Upper management micromanage

Advice to Management

Let us don our thing. The big turn around is do to upper management micromanaging. Because of this I'm currently looking for a new job. And I have been here for 8 years.

5. Working at BofA

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Big company, lost of bennifts. Many different locations. Lots of giving back to the community. They really care about their staff. I met some of the most caring people when I worked there.

Cons

Lots of policy changes and way too often. Once you learn one things they change it. It can be hard to connect with managers, many of them are in different states and on different time zones. I wish there had been more room for growth.

Advice to Management

Give employees more freedom to make their once decisions. Let people contribute their own ideas and see if the are new ways doing things, there banking system is a mess. When it comes to growth it takes forever for interviews to happen.

6. Associate

Current Employee - Client Advisor in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Client Advisor in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are seeking to move up, Bank of America will help you reach your goals. It's easier to move up if you are in a greater metropolitan area or are a 100% available to move to a different location to take a position.

Cons

Sometimes you have to work on Saturdays which can be six days a week at times.

Tellers are not appreciated

Current Employee - Teller in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company offer great benefits.

Cons

They pay very little and as you move up the pay increase is absolutely ridiculous. The next step up from a teller would be to become an SSS which stands for Sales and Service Specialist and after that to be a banker. They have eliminated the Teller Supervisor position accross the US. After 6 years with bank of america I started at 10/hr and I am still making below 13/hr. Management changes a lot and if sales arent great there is a lot of SALES PRESSURE on the tellers. They want you to SELL SELL and SELL with every customer interection. I can not wait to leave this company!

Advice to Management

Hire more tellers! The lines are out the door and a lot of time you schedule less people then what is needed to run the branch. Customers are not happy! Be realistic!

8. I became an employee during their acquisition of Countrywide Financial. Same position, same salary now different bank.

Former Employee - Instructor II in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Instructor II in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have a thorough review process.

Cons

They are hierarchical company. Therefore, their leaders do not listen to their front line staff directly but hire tons of middle management to be the ones that do. Too many messages being passed around and getting mismanaged, dis-guarded all together or often skewed before it even makes it to the executive table.

Advice to Management

Listen to all levels of staff below you, not just the level directly below you.

9. Too focused on sales and not on employees

Former Employee - Teller Operations Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Teller Operations Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Okay pay at level. Decent benefits.

Cons

Lots of promises of promotions but only mattered who you knew. Other people within the company who we're 'buddies' would get the jobs. This is true for many locations and for a lot of my peers.

Advice to Management

Focus more on your employees and less on your numbers. The numbers will fall in to place if your employees feel valued and supported.

10. We're better when we are connected

Current Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company is one of the top employers in the US. The company is well established and is not going anywhere anytime soon. The company has a rich history. It offers a lot of benefits to the employees and encourage community interaction.

Cons

The cons are at organizational level and not necessary at the company. Therefore, one organization or vertical may have a different culture on employee satisfaction that is better than others. The company is so big that it takes time for the culture to spread around. In the mean time, employees may experience frustration on promotion, salary increase, and other culture related elements.

Advice to Management

Stop asking the questions of which you already know the answer. When things are bad, work at it instead of making promises.

11. Legs cut out from underneath us...

Current Employee - Banking Center Manager II in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Banking Center Manager II in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Professionally ran. Fair treatment of teammates is taken seriously. Diversity, including diversity if thought, is encouraged. Good benefits. Competive pay amongst competitors. Good associate banking/lending benefits.

Cons

Monumental changes made to incentive structure are rolled out and then continuously changed throughout the year. Incentive structure designed so that it's near impossible to fund. FTE/employee hours in banking centers cut back to bear bones, leaving absolutely no cushion for associate illness, promitions, vacation and LOA's let alone successfully running the day to day operations. Disconnect between upper management and BC teammates. Wasteful of paper and time spent filling out paperwork; BofA needs to go elecronic with forms and signature cards like most other national banks have years ago! Managers can't manage because they're busy doing what their cut emoloyees would have been doing. There isn't an incentive program for tellers, sales and service specialists and teller operations specialists; this leaves the manager and personal banker with resentful, unmotivated employees. Asinine!

Advice to Management

Move quicker!!! You talk about things for years before rolling them out just to change them again! Stop making things harder with the ridiculous and unnecessary busy work!

Showing 20 of 9,876 reviews