Bank of America

7,125 Reviews

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan
3,039 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance including remote work from home for certain positions (in 417 reviews)

• They have a program called MyWork which allows you to work from home or from any location (in 223 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was a little tough but you are going to get that anywhere to be honest (in 180 reviews)

• upper management failed to listen to the lower ranks often missing oppertuinitys (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

13 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

We're better when we are connected

Current Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The company is one of the top employers in the US. The company is well established and is not going anywhere anytime soon. The company has a rich history. It offers a lot of benefits to the employees and encourage community interaction.

Cons

The cons are at organizational level and not necessary at the company. Therefore, one organization or vertical may have a different culture on employee satisfaction that is better than others. The company is so big that it takes time for the culture to spread around. In the mean time, employees may experience frustration on promotion, salary increase, and other culture related elements.

Stop asking the questions of which you already know the answer. When things are bad, work at it instead of making promises.

Too focused on sales and not on employees

Former Employee - Teller Operations Specialist in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Teller Operations Specialist in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Okay pay at level. Decent benefits.

Cons

Lots of promises of promotions but only mattered who you knew. Other people within the company who we're 'buddies' would get the jobs. This is true for many locations and for a lot of my peers.

Focus more on your employees and less on your numbers. The numbers will fall in to place if your employees feel valued and supported.

Legs cut out from underneath us...

Current Employee - Banking Center Manager II in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Banking Center Manager II in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Professionally ran. Fair treatment of teammates is taken seriously. Diversity, including diversity if thought, is encouraged. Good benefits. Competive pay amongst competitors. Good associate banking/lending benefits.

Cons

Monumental changes made to incentive structure are rolled out and then continuously changed throughout the year. Incentive structure designed so that it's near impossible to fund. FTE/employee hours in banking centers cut back to bear bones, leaving absolutely no cushion for associate illness, promitions, vacation and LOA's let alone successfully running the day to day operations. Disconnect between upper management and BC teammates. Wasteful of paper and time spent filling out paperwork; BofA needs to go elecronic with forms and signature cards like most other national banks have years ago! Managers can't manage because they're busy doing what their cut emoloyees would have been doing. There isn't an incentive program for tellers, sales and service specialists and teller operations specialists; this leaves the manager and personal banker with resentful, unmotivated employees. Asinine!

Move quicker!!! You talk about things for years before rolling them out just to change them again! Stop making things harder with the ridiculous and unnecessary busy work!

Good company to work for just need more autonomy to make decisions.

Former Employee - Banking Center Manager in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Banking Center Manager in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America full-time (more than an year)

Pros

People that work there really enjoy their jobs. The customers are respectful and most are a pleasure to serve. The benefits are BofA are good.

Cons

People need to be able to say things in their own words and not have scripts to follow. Pushing sales is not a way to get business either. Building relationships is the key to success in banking, or any business for that matter.

Cut scripts! Management needs to let people be more themselves. Some of the leadership carry quite a bit of ego - recommend more experienced managers in the leadership roles. A degree doesn't make a good leader.

Great coworkers, poor communication from upper management

Former Employee - Teller in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Teller in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Excellent part-time work that pays well with benefits

Cons

Company values are not geared towards their employees.
    Communication is lax and downright poor from upper management through the lower echelons of the company

Focus more on your downward communication.

Good Company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Contributed money to my college fund while I was a part-time worker
    Was able to participate in the 401K plan while I was a part-time worker
    Very flexible hours

Cons

I didn't like the location (downtown)

Customer Service

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice team and branch. Good pay for amount of work done.

Cons

Rude customers, protesters. Some lazy team members.

Review each team member individually to determine who gets work done and who doesnt.

Decent company to work for with typical large corporation issues.

Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Strategic Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at Bank of America

Pros

Good benefits and lots of different directions to move

Cons

Easily lost in the shuffle and pays less than other typical jobs

A good bank to work for, if you want to work for a bank.

Current Employee - Teller Operations Specialist in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Teller Operations Specialist in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

There are some great people that work at BofA. The corporate vision is clearly stated and there is very little ambiguity as to each employee fits into their role. They have a very strong benefits package and the starting wage is decent. BofA also like to promote from within and spend a lot of time developing associates, so someone with a desire to pursue a career in banking and a clear idea what they want can advance very quickly through the hierarchy.

Cons

This is a massive corporation and it can often feel that way. There is a lot of talk of "360* coaching," but it is clear that the directions come from the top and flow downward. The business focus regularly cycles back and forth from being focused on customer service to serving the bottom line. The working environment can vary greatly from branch to branch and can depend upon who is in charge.

Take the idea of "360* coaching" to heart and listen to everyone, from tellers to vault techs, and not just the market execs and spreadsheets.

Its been an interesting experience over the past few years

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

The benefits are definitely above par, and also it is nice to get those bank holidays that no-one else does :). If you have a good team and good management it makes going to work a lot easier. There is definitely room for professional growth and movement within your division if you are a top performer.

Cons

I work in consumer banking - so I'm at a branch that is open to the public. I really wish the hours weren't so long. Sometimes I am literally at work for 10 or 11 hours straight - and I feel like I've gotten little or nothing accomplished .

It would be great to have some more transparity around lateral promotions and movement within the company so associates can have a true understanding of what options they have for career paths, not just within their division.