Bank of America

7,440 Reviews

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan
3,180 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance including remote work from home for certain positions (in 417 reviews)

• They have a program called MyWork which allows you to work from home or from any location (in 223 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was a little tough but you are going to get that anywhere to be honest (in 180 reviews)

• upper management failed to listen to the lower ranks often missing oppertuinitys (in 184 reviews)

More Highlights

A great company to work

Current Employee - Assistant Banking Center Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Assistant Banking Center Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Culture and Ethics and a storng risk driven culture

Cons

Values and belief are less prevalent among the staffs junior levels

Embed the culture among the junior level staff

Teller

Current Employee - Teller in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Teller in New York, NY

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

Good benefits including 401k match, paid vacations and sick days etc, even for part time employees. Flexible and work with school schedule. Good starting pay.

Cons

Constant changes in the company are hard to keep up with. Tellers don't get bonuses and aren't paid enough for all the responabilites that they are giveb. Very hard to have a life outside of work. Can be very stressful at times .

The Bank

I have been working at Bank of America full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

-Many diffrent opportunities
    -generally pay is extremely competitive
    -benefits are outstanding
    -work life balance is a focus

Cons

-very political in terms of promotions
    -layoffs every year
    -high turnover in leadership positions
    -large focus on theory vs practicality

Once your start down a strategic path stick with it for long enough to see the long term out comes instead of changing the focus every 1 or 2 years before the results can ever fully be realized.

I worked for Bank of America for almost 30 years. It's a good company to work for.

Former Employee - Senior Vice President IT in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Vice President IT in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Bank of America

Pros

Bank of America provides good benefits to it's employees. There are a lot of different areas, so employees can move around and learn new skills.

Cons

There are a lot of layoffs, so that scares many employees because they don't know how long they will have their job.

The technology funding process is flawed, and if it were given the attention it needs, then the yearly lay offs in the tech area could be minimalized.

Great Career Opportunity, Limited Security

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

Bank of America really does care about their employees. They have decent salaries with great benefits. Working conditions are good. As always, it depends on the department and manager you work for, but generally, I have had great experience with managers at all levels. There are always opportunities for advancement, though they are not always clear, but they have ways to increase your learning via web classes. I went from cash handling to an at home work position over the twenty plus years I worked there.

Cons

Some have complained about a work life balance when you move to higher positions, or if you are in a high volume type production environment. The tellers and banking centers deal with sales issues, but in many back office positions that is not the case. One major issue is that when they do their yearly "house cleaning", they consolidate departments and lay folks off without warning. We held our breath every year or whenever an internal re-org took place. This does not lend itself to job security and gives the impression that the company is not really concerned about its employees.

Internal advancement opportunities need to be made more clear. Furthermore, the re-organization/consolidation process creates A LOT of stress for the regular employee and ultimately effects their loyalty to the company. When an employee doesn't believe, or perceive, that the company is concerned about them because they lay folks off at a whim just to save money (when we all know BOA has enough), it effects their performance and their sense of dedication. A better way is to allow attrition to solve the problem as much as possible, and to offer opportunities within the company BEFORE just cold turkey laying folks off. An employee doesn't feel like the bank's "greatest resource" when they are treated as expendable so easily.

Summer experience - lot's of learning

Current Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Summer Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Bank of America as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very kind people, a team devoted and extremely helpful for my learning
    A lot of exposure to different types of deals

Cons

Lot's of work (including some Sundays when on deals)

Right company, job just isn't for me

Current Employee - Customer Service and Sales Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Customer Service and Sales Specialist II in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

The comradery! This was the most embracing and open environment that offered endless employee life support and career growth opportunities.

Cons

In terms of the company, I don't find any cons. I just truely hate the sales position I accepted over a fraud position I was originally offered. I HATE sales but I allowed the pay difference to sway my decision.

Keep putting your employees first! I feel awesome to be apart of such a morally sound company.

Good place to work. Lots of turnover.

I worked at Bank of America full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The people are enjoyable to work with and the company seems to value there employees. They really were into doing things the bank of america way.

Cons

The banking center is a very stressful environment. Also, there is not much emphasis on career growth for banking center employees.

Good company and good benefits.

I have been working at Bank of America

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

May be a little behind the times, but still a good place to trade time for dollars.

Good large business, professional organization, committed to customers

Former Employee - Associate Broker in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Associate Broker in Houston, TX

I worked at Bank of America

Pros

Large, industry leader helps everyone downstream within the organization. I worked at Merrill, which was absorbed by BofA, and to my surprise the two had very similar mindsets from two completely different retail strategies. Training was the best, most robust and detailed in the industry. Opportunities for advancement (within Merrill especially) were everywhere.

Cons

Regulations... regulations... regulations. Smaller firms have more flexibility (or less to lose?)
    Mostly post housing debacle have made doing anything creative a no-go. Regulations become increasingly difficult for smaller/single brokers to survive, especially due to social media and other restrictions (which may have changed since my time there, hopefully for my former colleagues sake..)

Try to get ahead of regulators/regulation and free up some of the creative talent that made the firm what it is... a successful and robust large financial services leader.