Bank of America Reviews

6,381 Reviews

Bank of America President & CEO Brian T. Moynihan
Brian T. Moynihan
2,706 Ratings

Pros
  • Excellent work life balance including remote work from home for certain positions (in 352 reviews)

• Great coworkers, good work /life balance they let a lot of people work from home (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Sexism; old BFF network; little work life balance, but they gave lip service to it (in 138 reviews)

• Lack of communication from upper management with regards to procedure changes (in 162 reviews)

More Highlights

Operating on borrowed time....

Current Employee - VP  in  Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - VP in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The only pros I can think of after 8yrs: gainful employment, nice working atmosphere, banking experience from the "how not to do things" standpoint.

Cons

From a genuine hard worker: this bank is structured to give its employees too much work and relies on cutting jobs in order to save money. Overwork leads to mistakes, no time to be proactive, and poor morale. In 8yrs, I had only one substantive performance review. Each of the other 7 reviews I was asked to go into the system and check the box that we had discussed my review at length...then I got an "atta boy!"...5 of those years, no raise paired with outstanding peer and manager comments just didn't track with me. The market is currently turning around, and recruiters and colleagues tell me no one wants to go back to BofA. This is not a formula to achieve the goal of being "one of the most admired companies to work for"...not even close.

Zero life balance. You cut 30k jobs with no restructuring and bury employees with work to mop up the mess you made. Then when appraisal time comes around, there are no raises and your management doesn't even spend any time discussing your performance, enrichment, or goals. I truly felt unappreciated there...and this is coming from someone who moved to Charlotte for the bank and consistently received an excellent review each of my 8 years there. I think you should at least pretend to care about my goals.

You will end up getting laid off

Current Employee - Underwriter
    Current Employee - Underwriter

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good. Vacation is 3 weeks and you can purchase a 4th week if wanted.

Cons

Management doesn't really know what they are doing or care about the employees although they pretend too. The sick occurrence rule is bad. I was told when I first started if you are sick take at least 2 days off at a time. I didn't understand why but once you are there you will get it. 5 occurrences within a rolling year is ridicules. Polices about how you do you job are non-productive, seems that it is more important to do all of their silly steps is much more important that doing the job right. They say they care about the customer but they really don't.

Get some real managers and then take care of them so they stay. Culture is shut up do your job. Don't talk to anyone and please no laughing. We want our employees with their head down at all times. You are not human you are our machine.

Rancho Cordova, CA site sucks so bad. The words I want to use are offensive and wrong but that's truly how I feel.

Former Employee - Home Services Specialist II  in  Rancho Cordova, CA
    Former Employee - Home Services Specialist II in Rancho Cordova, CA

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are no pros besides the fact that I was employed during that time period of my life.

Cons

Upper management and lower management have no true manger skills. They are all puppets agreeing to it all and saying yes at all times. Every year or so they redeploy all associates to new roles and the training is horrible. This site has no commen sense. A lot of politics and drama.

Get it together because no one there is happy. You look foolish running around to meeting after meeting trying to set up the next meeting. Upper level executives need to sit in the chair of the people who do the actual work so they can see first hand what the employees face day in and day out. It's not easy and all they do is look at Excell and other reports and numbers. GARBAGE SITE!!! I WILL NEVER WORK THERE AGAIN!!!! It was a BIG mistake working there.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Disappointed

Current Employee - Teller Operations Specialist  in  Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Teller Operations Specialist in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Bank of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great Benefits...Learned a lot from all the training that is given. I was able to meet a lot of great people who I was able to mentor and learn from them as well.

Cons

Way to much pressure placed on employees. Too many changes unsure of the direction of the company. With all the cutbacks raises have become a thing of the past. It used to be a great place to work.

Employees are overworked and underpaid with unrealistic expectations

Good Ole' boys club prevails over experience!

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pretax payroll deductions for discounted insurance, 401K benefits, access to financial planners, discounted loans, and corporate buying power programs for associates, paid time for volunteering.

Cons

Too much lip service they are doing the right thing when inside its operated like a good ol boys club mentality, hard to move up and get proper recognition with pay increases. Managers are told not to rate associates with an "exceeds/exceeds" on reviews and often downplay the successes of associates. Associate engagement 'rewards' are used between managers and not used wholistically across teams, as are raises, title changes and merit awards.

Look at who does the work. Ask for proof of who averted the risk, who noticed the gap, who pin pointed and resolved the issues. Managers just talking to managers and giving managers all the credit is not what makes the company run! Wake up and pay attention to making every one on the team feel empowered.

Processing assistant (contract)

Former Employee - Processing Assistant  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Processing Assistant in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bank of America as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The salary is a little above average for the industry, the location was close to my home.

Cons

This is basically a sweatshop. I have seen numerous processors cry out of frustration, unable to handle the workload even working non-stop overtime. Some things are outsourced like making sure the title is cleared. It is hard enough to read in English, never mind if that is your 2nd language. The short cut of work ethics and push for unrealistic numbers is inherent in their large turnover and constant monetary penalties.

Spend more time with your teammates, learn how long a task actually takes. On the front end this it is extremely important to give your borrowers a good experience. If your front end is too busy with volume to return all customer calls/emails, they will not cross sell and bank with you for fear of more of the same.

Worked as an IT engineer for many years.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pays well. Good people to work with who know there stuff. (not necessary to work for). Has high earnings on their earnings report.

Cons

No career advancement. Always wondering when the axe was going to fall. All the good manager left for other opportunities. Upper management positioning their cronies in management positions. Tensions are high.

Their mission statement should be "DO IT, OR ELSE!!!"

Former Employee - Dedicated Service Director  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Dedicated Service Director in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great benefits, child care reimbursement, complimentary coffee in the break rooms,

Cons

Micromanagement, counterproductive metrics (which are continually inaccurate), inadequate training, poor leadership, and pitiful incentives. This company is driving at full speed to self-service, automation, and outsourcing and they make it clearly known. You are a number, you are evaluated by numbers, and your days are numbered. You are expendable from day one and that is exactly how you are treated and regarded.

Advice goes unheard and/or ignored.

bank teller

Current Employee - Bank Teller  in  Santa Clarita, CA
    Current Employee - Bank Teller in Santa Clarita, CA

I have been working at Bank of America part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

good starting pay. no experience needed

Cons

treat teller horribly. expect wayyyy to much out of tellers. don't get payed enough. the bankers are suppose to be the sellers yet everything falls on the tellers. Its always he tellers fault.

lazy,

The old bait and switch!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Bank of America full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The bathrooms were always clean. The benefits were decent. Pay was mediocre

Cons

EVERYTHING! From BofA buying out HLS and then started downsizing. Despite being told over and over by them that everything was great and everyone would still have a job. Laughable!

Grow up!

Worked for Bank of America? Contribute to the Community!