Bank of Hawaii Reviews

• Hawaii
3.5
Bank of Hawaii Chairman, President, and CEO Peter S. Ho
Peter S. Ho

1. Best place to work in the Islands!

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great corp culture and management really knows what they're doing. Lots of growth opportunity. I would highly recommend BOH for anyone looking to get their start in banking.

Cons

Not enough designated smoking areas.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. I especially love all the community involvement. While working at the bank, we did a lot of charity events. Great for the bank and great for the community!

2. Work Hard, Play Hard

Current Employee - Administrative in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Administrative in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Bank has on-site gym, offers low premium medical plan, transportation subsidy, company sponsored events for all employees

Cons

Pay scale needs review, insufficient personnel at times to complete work, top heavy with management

Advice to Management

Turnover is expensive. Keep an eye on retaining the "workers" and not just management.

3. Wonderful place to work!

Former Employee - Teller in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Teller in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management was so patient when I first started out. Pay was fair. There was plenty opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Pressure to up sell credit cards, new accounts, equity lines. You had to meet a quota every quarter. That was the only thing I didn't like.

Advice to Management

Ease up on the pressure to meet quotas. It makes the job stressful.

5. A great company!

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time

Pros

Good benefits, many opportunities to advance-they like to hire and promote from within. Lots of training opportunities. Friendly co-workers (I worked in Private Client Services/Personal Trust).

Cons

Overtime is pretty common.

6. This place is a sweatshop in disguise

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Everyone at the bank is friendly and helpful. There is an overall positive vibe within the company and encouragement to get more involved with activities outside of work. The use of the gym facilities are a perk for those who work at the locations they're available at.

Cons

Terrible hours that would burn any individual out. Everyone would go home at some insane hour and talk about never being able to see their kids. Not sure if anyone likes going home only to sleep and wake up to repeat everything all over again. There was no point in being able to access the gym if you can't even get done with work before it closes; the same can be said for the after-work activities. Some people in other departments would come late (past 8:30 A.M.) and leave early (around 4:15 P.M.) daily. These same individuals with little or nothing to do spend most of their time browsing the bank's internal social network page while other people are busting their tails. The high turnover rate is not surprising. Depending on what department you work in, your experience may vary.

Advice to Management

Clarify daily activity and expectations for positions. Overtime needs to be specified (i.e. the average amount of time worked per week). It's impossible not to feel bad for the older employees who have to take the bus home at 9 P.M. after working a twelve-hour shift for the fourth day in a row.

7. Great Bank

Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist in Kapolei, HI
    Former Employee - Loss Mitigation Specialist in Kapolei, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Plenty of training, resources and dynamic manager. I had an incredible work life balance and a great work environment at the campus in Kapolei. Access to the gym, profit sharing, subsidized bus pass etc.

Cons

Technology for certain depts. can be a little dated. The environment can be tough if you're coming from outside the community, I was a transplant from San Francisco and it was apparent I wasn't the most welcomed in the beginning, but I was able to overcome that relatively quickly.

Advice to Management

To be more involved with your staff at all levels. The bank isn't overly large and the political framework and strong and rigid for the size of the bank. However, there was a lot of $$ spent on events for employees, and it's appreciated, showing face more often can also do wonders for moral.

8. Great company

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Honolulu, HI
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

BOH has a well rounded internship program that helps develop a student's professional skills. I was able to work one on one with the head of my division on a daily basis, as well as other members of the team. Periodic meetings with the other interns gave insight into other departments in the bank. Mandatory professional development events.

Cons

It seemed like some divisions were understaffed, which resulted in longer hours to pick up the extra payload.

Live Kokua

Former Employee - Wealth Administrator II in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Wealth Administrator II in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company ethic - they are a big part of the local community

Cons

They don't always take care of their employees (work hours, work load, health benefits all need a look)

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees - don't solicit blank suggestions. Skip mid level management and go to the people who work for you out on the customer facing level and talk to them - find out what's going on, what's working what's not.

Tenure more important above competency/real contributors.

Former Employee - Officer in Honolulu, HI
    Former Employee - Officer in Honolulu, HI

I worked at Bank of Hawaii full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most employees are great who truly do care about their clients.

Cons

It appears many VPs and AVPs are in their positions not necessarily because they can do their jobs or make minimal contributions, but solely on the basis that they've been with the bank for a long time. Unfortunately I was in the department that is going under, yet somehow the upper management appears to keep this department status quo. There are plenty of proof financially, feedback from other departments, former employees in the dept., and clients of the bank who see the significant deficiencies, but somehow the department head is still around making constant bad decisions. This department may not last another year at the current projection and may drag the bank image down in multiple ways.

Advice to Management

Although an insignificant part of the overall bank revenues, this department can have tremendous impact on other departments and the bank soon. Unless there is a process for impartial competency evaluations(from independent and impartial industry experts) on managers of this department, this will have greater negative impact to the bank than anyone realizes.

Top bank in Hawaii, but isolated divisions with poor leadership (cancer cells) is slowly killing the company

Current Employee - Customer Relationship Officer in Honolulu, HI
    Current Employee - Customer Relationship Officer in Honolulu, HI

I have been working at Bank of Hawaii full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Financially sound institution with lots of great seasoned employees who can offer knowledge and exceptional service.

Cons

Certain divisions are micro-managed by dictator like bosses and top management is not aware of this.

Advice to Management

Employees leave their company not because they don't like the company but because of those micro-managers who react to situations based on fear, not reason or evidence, thus blaming everyone else but the manager herself. Find this cancer cell and remove it before it's too late,