Bank of Ireland

Bank of Ireland Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bank of Ireland Group Chief Executive and Director; Chief Executive, Retail Financial Services Ireland (RFSI) Richie Boucher

Richie Boucher

Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFriendly atmosphere. Supportive of your professional development. Sensitive to work-life balance.

ConsProjects can take some time to complete.

Bank of Ireland is changing for the better.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dublin, AR

ProsSignificant & exciting change agenda
    Exciting times ahead for the business
    Interesting mix of new technology driving how the bank does its business
    Bank very supportive of staff doing further education & upskilling

ConsSome resisters still have influence, especially some of the longer serving staff
    Middle managers need to up their game & change management abilities

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the change agenda

Great Learning Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDid my internship there so teaching was very prevalent. All departments I worked taught me a lot. Moving around was encouraged.

ConsI cannot think of any cons of working at this company. The weather in Ireland is very cold so that is why I decided to leave the country and therefore the company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic

Security Compliance Officer (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsFirst if all, the environment is vey conducive and pleasant to work in. The managers, although very strict but very caring. Management try as much as possible to be very flexible with work times in order to put a balance between work and home front. The staff in Bank of Ireland are very friendly and accommodating.

ConsThere isn't any downside really, all you need to know as a staff is just try as much as possible to be hardworking , punctual, give it your all and you will be happy. And maybe in recent times, there has not been career progression.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat I would say really is keep up the good work.

Great Work Culture

Analyst (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsGreat working environment, superior are approachable and has no airs

ConsCompany seems to be downsizing, as seen in public news

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget to recruit talent at times like this

Nice place to work

Official (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsFriendly colleagues, good conditions, good benefits including canteen with reduced prices, decent social life, lack of nasty competition between staff, management were generally approachable.

ConsWork was not particularly stimulating, lots of older staff who don't contribute much and are paid better with better conditions than younger, harder working colleagues, pay not great by standards of competitors

Advice to Senior ManagementMore promotional opportunities for younger, ambitious staff

Quite a decent experience

Bank Assistant (Former Employee) Galway (Ireland)

ProsFriendly workmates and good customer relations. Reasonable salary and time off. All in all quite a decent company to work for.

ConsThe last few years have been in a very difficult economic climate. A lot of customers are very disgruntled with the reduction in personal service and in some cases are taking it out on frontline staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome of the management seem to be too far removed from the customer base and only think in terms of targets.

stable conservative traditional old school

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsStaff enjoy great supports due to the company's legacy and union involvement. Training and development are supported and encouraged.

ConsThe culture is resistant to change, resistant to challenge and resistant to new ideas. Once decisions are made they are stuck too rigidly rather then being continually assessed.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe mindful of the consequences of actions.
    The Bank is hundreds of years old, long term planning is required
    Resist the urge to focus solely on quick wins

A great place to work - but no career progression

Associate (Current Employee)

ProsThe hours
    The people - the team are wonderful

ConsNo career progression. If you are in any way ambitious, this is not the place for you

Fun however opportunities were scare in my department

Operations Role (Former Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsStandard working hours,
    Subsidised canteen,
    Great co-workers,
    The company does care about you,
    Excellent money for my department (but we were a special case)

ConsWith such media focus on all banks cost cuts are inevitable. This is the only reason you will run into difficulty with management.
    Some managers are promoted based on length of service who clearly shouldn't be in the role. This is by no means always the case. There is some serious talent within the company.
    There were very few career growth opportunities. My core reason for leaving.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to engage in staff more personally for example, wen at team update meetings don't just read an update sheet to me. I can do that. Otherwise i'd consider all my management team highly professional and caring.

Worked for Bank of Ireland? Contribute to the Community!