Bank of the West

Bank of the West Reviews in Los Angeles, CA

3.4

Bank of the West Chairman & CEO J. Michael Shepherd
J. Michael Shepherd

Pros
  • Good Salary bur not good management and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, most of the employees are friendly and helpful (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I only recalled my manager telling us "good work" when my manager is praised by the upper management (in 10 reviews)

• And sometimes, the whole internal system of the bank is just really "old school" which makes communicating a little difficult (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Senior Management Exceptional. Los Angeles market sucks

Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CEO and rest of senior management are brilliant, personable and otherwise exceptional. There are a lot of opportunities with this bank.

Cons

A couple of senior people in the Los Angeles commercial bank where I worked are disingenuous, back-stabbing manipulators. It's unfortunate, given that most people in LA and in SF are truly exceptional

Do 360 reviews. Also look at commercial banking operations performance based on your small market share vs your big bank capabilities and not on the puny market share a region may have the grows each year (if you have 3% market share and grow to 4% market share, that looks huge when you look at the year over year net increase, but is pathetic when you consider you still only have a tiny share of the market when you should have substantially more.

Bank of the Worst

Former Employee - Financial Services Officer in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Services Officer in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary; no other reason to work here.

Cons

Tedious paperwork, micromanagement, SEE BELOW

Bank of the West may seem like a great place to work from an outside perspective, but unfortunately it is so dulled with micromanagement and a lack of technology that there is no growth or enjoyment that comes from working there. If you want to get good at paperwork, this job is for you!

First off, the company is unbelievably cheap. Constantly looking for ways to save money at the expense of not supplying employees with necessary tools for the job. I've been declined reimbursements a multiple times. I've seen the balance sheets; they are just cheap.

I receive 20+ emails a day from my bosses' bosses' boss that are send out to her entire division regarding updated goals for the employees. Get organized!!! My goals and expectations change on the daily and the whim of al division manager.

They say "activity based management", NO; that is micromanagement. You'll spend the whole day looking at all the reports you need to complete and putting appointments in the computer twice. In fact, you have to fill out every form in paper and then input it in the system as well (which is behind in technology).

Incentive plans are terrible. Bank of the West boasts how they are uncapped. There is a cap on each type of account...You are asked daily to open accounts constantly that have no benefit to your incentive plan.

Additionally our incentive plans didn't come out till the end of February. THE QUARTER ENDS IN 30 days. It's already too late to get credit for deposits! When I asked the incentive department, they retorted that just because the plans aren't out doesn't mean you should stop working. No!, really?!, 1) Learn to speak English. 2) if you are going to work in an "incentive department", you should probably know what the word "incentive" means.

AREA MANAGERS / DIVISION MANAGERS / REGIONAL MANAGERS AND ALL OTHER HIGHER UP POSITIONS:

You are completely illiterate to what the future of management is. You are not "inspiring coaches", you are just micromanagers and letting the sh*t roll down hill.

Read some articles on bettering yourselves instead of blaming everyone else. Results based management would be a good start. Let your employees be creative in their efforts to win business; you would see a large increase in sales.

Maybe it's the fact everyone has worked here for 20 years and is still acting like this company is in the 1990s.

I am not proud of working here and do not advocate any of the products or services because of this terrible, outdated and ineffective work culture.

My hope is that BNP Paribas cleans house.

I'm seeking a career in a company that doesn't lack pragmatism and has its sh*t together.

Well said former FSO in LA

Former Employee - Many in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Many in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

None, none, none and none

Cons

Teller, ACSM, CSM, FSR, MANAGER, had to do all for one salary

Resign.

Would be great place to work if all Sr mgmt had leadership training and were with the times when it came to technology

Current Employee - Not In A Branch in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Not In A Branch in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West

Pros

Friendly coworkers, customer satisfaction, 3 JD Power awards, some areas are very lucky to have seasoned senior management who support their staff, some areas have great employee recognition and leadership programs, 12 paid bank holidays for full time employees, opportunities to take personal development courses, tuition reimbursement, health benefits, 401K, bonus for Senior mgmt and branch sales employees, free checking and cashiers checks, no fees if you use your Bank of the West ATM at BNP ATM's in Europe

Cons

poor employee work perks program, no loans for employees without perfect credit score because bank is so conservative, sometimes Executive management hires Senior managers with poor/ no leadership skills, Slow technological improvements. And when technology is rolled out there is not appropriate training before hand.

Screen your Senior Management team more thoroughly prior to hiring and make sure they get some leadership and HR training if they are hired. Get feedback from their staff after they are hired. Employee surveys mean nothing if Senior management doesn't change or grow. Michael Shepherd is great and has great plans for the bank but wish he put more focus on management.

Leverage the BNP Paribas name to attract more talent

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West

Pros

Friendly, courteous colleagues who treat each other with respect. Major efforts to upgrade. Work ethic is there, but does not require 100 hour weeks. Good reputation

Cons

IT, Systems and support has a long way to go. Compensation could be better and Bank needs to promote its talented performers more rapidly.

Continue the efforts to learn from French parent. BNP Paribas will help attract talent.

Bank of the West Photos

my desk
Half of the hallway. Same length down other way.

+ Add Photo