Bank of the West

Bank of the West Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Bank of the West Chairman & CEO J. Michael Shepherd

J. Michael Shepherd

Pros:
  • "Management is understanding of work life balance"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Good benefits, good vacation at VP level"
    in 9 reviews
Cons:
  • "the bank has a very old school way still"
    in 7 reviews
  • "High turn-over due to new employees "not meeting" their unrealistic sales goals"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

It was a pleasure to work for the bank

Direct Loan Origination Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people and management is Directsupportive

ConsI have nothing negative to say

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to make positive changes

Depending on the position, it's an outstanding company to work for

Financial Services Officer Then Mortgage Banker (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe culture and diversity of the workforce, company policies and room to grow are excellent. On the branch level, all the employees work together as a team should. Training sometimes lacked over the years, however it improved in the late 2000's toward 2010.

ConsAgain, training was often lax until more recently. Commission ONLY positions had their sales goals revised upwards often, (2 - 3 times a year in some years) a tool "weed out" the less productive employees. This left many branches and customers to be served by a skeleton crew of professionals or to look to websites for their needs. This was not the original policy or commitment of the bank in the 90's. Mass layoffs after acquisitions of banks in the Midwest prompted reevaluation of pay in the California region especially.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough I understand the need for cost-cutting measures. The losses of quality employees in several divisions left a "bad taste" in the respective mouths of employees and customers alike. BOTW had been founded on a community based concept of banking and as it grew came to be more and more like its competitors. Employees brought over from the Banks like B of A and Wells Fargo began instituting programs resembling the "Great 8" at Wells Fargo and we lost our identity. Employees and customers started to lose trusted advisers and even friends at their local branches as the focus on profit became paramount. Changes in how the bank looked at overdraft status of long-time customers, underwriting and more changed in an unhealthy direction. I would recommend a return to what grew BOTW to the size and strength that BNP wanted to buy the bank. Fight the good fight and the customers will notice. Tiny things like coffee, cookies disappeared, and so did customers.

Conservative Bank That's Slow to Change

Analyst (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompensation is slowly becoming competitive with larger banks. Time off is on par with other banking institutions. Original team members of the bank, both Bank of the West and those from acquired banks, are great to work with as the bank has not reached the level of politics like bigger banks such as Wells, BofA or Citi.

ConsThe bank is very conservative. It is slow to change and is more of a follower of banking trends rather than an innovator of new banking products and services. Internally, the bank's technology is deficient and is still reliant on many manual processes rather than automated ones. Customer facing technology (e.g. ATM, Remote Capture, Online Banking) have just been updated in the last 5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementOriginal leadership of the bank ought to be closely reviewed by newly hired leadership. Continuing the "old" way of doing things can be a detriment to the overall progress of the bank in becoming more on par or exceed other banks of the same size.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

CSR

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time

ProsGreat place to start out in banking. Not as fast paced as Wells or BofA, so it's a slow

ConsImmense amount of pressure from upper management.

Branch Mgr

Branch Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTook care of managers.
Decent Pay and Benefits

ConsNo direction from higher up.
Don't care about branches outside of metro areas.

Best kept secret in banking!

Financial Services Officer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAwesome management, very supportive and career focused. People at every level treat you with respect and work together with you. Large bank with small town atmosphere; the way banking used to be and the way customers love!

ConsHard to move into management positions; everyone loves their jobs so much they don't move on too often. It is the mark of a great workplace!

Advice to Senior ManagementInternships and management training programs would be great to have implemented for those seeking to move up in their careers without having to leave to get the experience.

it is okay, management is getting to be very hands on.

Branch Manager Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood company to work for,. goals are reasonable some room for advancement at lower levels.

Conswhen you get a promotion there is not a big raise. if you get promoted several times then you will be far behind in pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing everything, Trust your employees to get the job done and stop trying to be like Wells Fargo.

Good Company, Average Benefits, Average Salaries, Tough to Move Around

Home Equity Collections Specialist (Former Employee)
San Ramon, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than a year

ProsMy time with BOTW was enjoyable, and I've retained several friendships since leaving last year. The company does a lot of employee recognition, which helps with morale. Even though I was in a call center environment, we had a lot more freedom and flexibility than other call centers I've experienced. I truly believe management cares about the well-being of their employees.

ConsLimited ability to advance from within, difficulty moving to other areas of the bank, some typical corporate politics and favoritism.

Great benefits, difficult quotas

Customer Service Representative (CSR) (Current Employee)
Albuquerque, NM

I have been working at Bank of the West part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat flexability, good pay, health benefits, 401k, coworkers make it better, great opportunity for socializing, easy if you're good at sales

Consdifficult quarterly quota if you're not good at sales, lots of rejection from customers and non-customers alike, repetitive, same thing every day,

I worked at BOTW for almost 5 years and enjoyed 90% of my time there

supervisor and mbd processor (Former Employee)

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI enjoyed the people I worked with and the company as a whole - benefits are good and the location worked great for me

ConsHard to move up to management when you have worked within for a long time ... Management is usually hired externally vs. internally and if by chance you do get promoted from within your pay raise is very minimal (being promoted is mainly based on who knows who vs. experience and/or qualifications )

Advice to Senior ManagementTry and focus on the skill sets and qualifications of an employee who posts for an internal position vs. who you're friends with

Worked for Bank of the West? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bank of the West reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Bank of the West CEO J. Michael Shepherd. All 167 reviews posted anonymously by Bank of the West employees.