Bank of the West

Updated September 9, 2014
2.9

Bank of the West Chairman & CEO J. Michael Shepherd
J. Michael Shepherd

Pros
  • Great work life balance at the company (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, most of the employees are friendly and helpful (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • the bank has a very old school way still (in 7 reviews)

• Senior Management and Executives have no compassion towards teammate growth (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Intrinsic Benefits, Not Great Monetary Ones

Current Employee - BSA/AML Investigator  in  San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - BSA/AML Investigator in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time for more than a year

Pros

They are very flexible about work hours and time off and allow employees to work from home several days a week. Casual work environment with friendly and helpful coworkers. Great opportunities to expand your knowledge and experience in the compliance industry. Lower management works hard to recognize and support employees.

Cons

Understaffed and subpar salary compared to industry. Midlevel management appears to lack a sense of direction and upper management seems reluctant to invest in human resources and updated systems.

Invest in the talent you have on hand. People should not have to demonstrate their value by getting an offer from another employer before receiving a pay increase. Work with midlevel managers rather than micromanaging.

Good colleagues, very poor pay

Current Employee - Senior Operational Risk Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Operational Risk Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great people to work with; decent benefits

Cons

poor and below market rate salaries are non motivational

Poor

Former Employee - Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Manager in Denver, CO

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

In my case paid well. Benefits are fair at best. Office was close to home. Great people in the branch.

Cons

High staff turnover due to the fact that everything is a priority for executive management and they always change. Company has no focus. They continue to hire more and more people in corporate offices to grow the corporate teams that each only do one thing then continue to squeeze the branches to reduce staff. In management's eyes you're not a person, you're a number. Company has no real focus on anything other than what sounds good today. Great companies don;t need to talk constantly about employee engagement because it is demonstrated consistently in the way employees are treated. Bank of the West has to talk about employee engagement constantly because of the poor management styles so management, particularly regional managers and above must talk about it all the time since the company does not demonstrate it through their actions.

Decide what they want to be when they grow up as a company. Establish clear priorities and focus and don;t change them all the time. Quit talking about employee engagement and show that you care through actions, not empty words. Culture and values are very good but very much like employee engagement they are just empty words because management does not follow them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Poor Management

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR)  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly people to work with.

Cons

Managers need to be educated

Hire better qualified Managers.

IT line manager

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Monterey Park, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Monterey Park, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Technology project opportunities, established corporation, top tiered bank

Cons

None to be considered. personal growth, time-off, and compensation are all good

Keep up the good work! the CAO (Mike Bracco) is awesome.

bank teller

I have been working at Bank of the West

Pros

the people work with are friendly its like a small family

Cons

I don't see and future job growth here due to senior management and from what I have seen as far as other employees who have been here for years and cant move up the ladder due to being screwed around by management

Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Bank of the West part-time

Pros

Unlike other Big Chain Retail Commercial Banking, I feel like Bank of the West does not pressure you the way BOA or Wells Fargo would. They're more laid-back on achieving your referral goals. Not a lot of pressure.

Cons

You can climb up in the bank, but I don't think you would go very far. The systems are very old and outdated to say the least. It's not as big of a bank and do not offer products like the other competitors do. And sometimes, the whole internal system of the bank is just really "old school" which makes communicating a little difficult.

Make sure everyone is on the same page.

No Advancement Potential for Loyal Employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager  in  Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Employees are generally pleasant to work with.

Cons

Caps on raises make it impossible to earn a decent wage. Loyal employees get capped on raises even when being promoted to higher positions. They blame it on a pay grid that prevents upward movement. Absolute minimum insurance coverage offered. Adding my family to the plan would cost $1,300 per month. That would equal almost 50% of my gross pay, or approximately 65% of my take home pay.

Find positions for loyal employees to move to. You keep losing valuable members of the team because there is no advancement offered.

Loved it!

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bank of The West was a great place to work. They really focused on customer service and not allowing the CSRs to make the customer feel like they are just a number. They really care about their employees and make sure to take care of them.

Cons

Traning could have been better for opening new accounts.

Opportunity for Improvement

Former Employee - Vice President/Manager  in  San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President/Manager in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The corporate office in San Ramon is newer and very nice with lots of parking and a cafeteria. BOW is able to attract smart, talented people and I felt like the people I worked with was one of the best aspects of my job. There are many long service employees which gives you a stable, secure feeling. There is opportunity for growth. Overall, I liked the work and the company.

Cons

There is a major issue with communication and information sharing from the top down. This will continue as long as Michael Shepard is President. BOW strives not to have a traditional banking environment but still suffers from typical issues in the financial services industry...namely too many men in senior roles, too many titles and too many politics. Also, there are some "mean" people in SVP roles. Sr. Management needs to focus on achieving results THROUGH people, rather than at the expense of people.

The Human Resources department needs to stop initiatives which try and positively influence employee perception. HR needs to take action and address negative behaviors in the workplace. A positive shift in employee perception and morale will result. Also, hire more women, specifically women with children, into the corporate office. Having bank branches run by and filled with women isn't enough!

Worked for Bank of the West? Contribute to the Community!