Bank of the West Reviews

274 reviews filtered by
2.8
Bank of the West Chairman & CEO J. Michael Shepherd
J. Michael Shepherd

Pros
  • Good Salary bur not good management and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, most of the employees are friendly and helpful (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I only recalled my manager telling us "good work" when my manager is praised by the upper management (in 10 reviews)

• And sometimes, the whole internal system of the bank is just really "old school" which makes communicating a little difficult (in 8 reviews)

1. Fantastic opportunity for growth as new CCAR team develops.

Current Employee - Ccar Financial Reporting Specialist Senior Assistant Vice President in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance, opportunity for growth in many avenues, fair salary

Cons

A bit disorganized, technology issues, space issues for some departments

Advice to Management

Move quicker regarding promotion or hiring decisions.

2. loan processor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team work, friendly employees ,location

Cons

pay is low,recognition , management involvement

Advice to Management

compensation to match workload

Great company culture, personal experience manager dependent.

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time

Pros

The company is great. There are affinity groups that bring coworkers together, a vast array of employee resources and perks when it comes to your personal banking, and they like to hire from within. The company is very sound financially, providing long term job security.

Cons

In my particular role, we're forced to cold call individuals and business (and encouraged to cold VISIT businesses), and call customers out of the blue -- my personal requirement was 150 calls per week. For a hard-core sales position this is normal, but seeing as how we are to be sales AND service, all the calls required rarely leave time to follow up with the customers who are right in front of you. Also, customers get alarmed when they receive a message from their bank with no explanation other than "you need to call me back". I'm not thrilled with the direction the bank is going in this aspect.

Advice to Management

Remember that a few calls to very well profiled and purposefully targeted customers and prospective customers far outweighs hours of meaningless calls (" Mr. Customer, I can get you .1% interest vs. .01%!") and pointless "card drops" at businesses. Also, please try to meet your subordinates in the middle as far as management styles. Having 10 meetings per week with your staff is neither efficient or particularly motivating. We know you need to collect data and disseminate information, but please, meet us halfway!

5. Didn't mind the atmosphere, HATED the job..

Current Contractor - Residential Mortgage Processor in Omaha, NE
    Current Contractor - Residential Mortgage Processor in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Bank of the West as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

I work as a mortgage processor. The people are nice, and the supervisors and people above them make good attempts to provide that fake motivation that can help people feel appreciated. Covered parking for free is nice.

Cons

For my job, training is EXTREMELY inefficient. The whole mortgage processing job is extremely inefficient and ancient. There is no such thing as paperless with this job. There were some loans I worked on that easily had 1000-2000 pieces of paper. The week of classroom training basically just shows you how a file is put together, and how to use they system. Then you sit with a sort of supervisor who's not really a supervisor, and you get to learn about 5% of what you need to know, and things you think are needed for every loan aren't. Then you're basically thrown to the wolves and spend 90%, of your day asking questions, or staring at your loan trying to figure out what your looking at. The system itself is ancient, and has no flow whatsoever. You don't even need 99% of everything in the system.

My computer has had issues since the day I started and IT has done nothing to fix it. It's been 2 months.

For this job, you are basically the person all the crap flows through. There's constant mandatory overtime, and I believe most of it is because of the extremely inefficient processes this job has.

There's no flexibility with hours. I asked to change my hours to come in and get off a a half hour early so I could make it to my college classes and I was shot down.

I would not recommend this job to anyone, but then again I feel that this job does not require much more education or work than a call center. The pay is not enough for what you have to put up with.

Advice to Management

Seriously fix your training process. It should be much more inclusive with information that processors need to know. Like what to look for on people's taxes, how to deal with self-employment. You shouldn't have to spend so much time asking what to do because you have no clue.

Work on a way to be paperless. I'm not an environmentalist but I'm pretty sure just this department keeps a paper company and a logging company in business.

Lessen the role of processors.. We're expected to pretty much do everything except underwrite the file. And most of what we do the mortgage bankers can and should be doing. Like requesting documents. They know what they need to get from borrowers, and it shouldn't be on the processors plate to do it. They have enough to deal with from bankers and underwriters, and then you add customers on top of it. And you want them to play salesman for your insurance company by calling these people trying to sell them insurance.

Organizational structure is terrible.. There's supervisors, team lead supervisors, and team leads. Why not just make more supervisors and team leads and eliminate the team lead supervisor. The structure system is worse than the military.

6. Technical Writer

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Ramon, CA
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Not many, if any other than to receive a paycheck. The cafeteria is limited, the pay is low, the benefits aren't very impressive and leadership is lacking.

Cons

The company as a whole is very stuck in their ways and not open to making changes that would bring them up to speed with the competition.

Advice to Management

Learn to be accepting to new ideas from those with experience at your bigger competitors, that advice may help you grow to compete with them on an even level.

7. Assistant Customer Service Manager

I have been working at Bank of the West

Pros

Love my coworkers, always promotes advancement (for the most part), usually flexible with students, etc

Cons

annual pay raises and income within branch advancement.

8. assistant manager/ teller

Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Assistant Customer Service Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, generous 401k match. Sales goals are reachable and coaching is emphasized. Employees are treated well.

Cons

Vacation, increasing focus on sales from front line. As management I am forced to take mandatory 2 straight weeks of vacation. Nothing wrong with that... except I only get two weeks of vacation total. So if I want to take a day or a few days off at any other point in the year, well thats too bad. My job is 90% teller work. We are a busy branch but I feel like the staffing is fair. However recently they started making it so all branch staff have to make sales call daily. My manager gets chewed out because the other tellers and I sometimes have dificulty making these calls because we have barely just enough down time as it is to accomplish the job tasks we already have that HAVE to be done. Also any computer training that we are required to do everybody just cheats and tries to blow through it because we dont have time to watch training videos when customers are coming in the branch all the time. Would be nice to learn things though.

Advice to Management

If your going to require all tellers make sales calls, staff the branch so they can afford to have tellers take a half hour un interupted at a desk and do this. But this really should be left to our bankers. Also having to take all of my vacation consecutively is making me look for a new employer. If you are not required to take your vacation this way or if your not required to make these calls as a teller, its actually a decent place to work.

9. CSR

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR)

I have been working at Bank of the West part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Banking Hours, having sundays off, and future knowledge on how to do personal banking dealing with large amounts cash is nice to

Cons

No pay raise so far, outdated system thats needs to be modernized, signature cards needs to be in a system not filling a drawer with cards helps when it needs to found risk of robbery at any moment

Advice to Management

Pay to employees better in busier branches, fix quarterly commissions doesn't even feel like you made extra money since the payouts are so low, needs to be team oriented I feel like i wasted my time learning night drop and processing ATMs since management only choses 1 teller to do it all the time

10. Long time coming!

Former Employee - IT Engineer I in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer I in Monterey, CA

I worked at Bank of the West

Pros

My group, we were family!

Cons

You are put in silos, this stalls your potential and plays one site off another.

Advice to Management

It's the people, not the money that should matter. Your employees are why you make money.

11. Works with the Branch Manager to foster superior customer service.

I worked at Bank of the West

Pros

• Supports the achievement of branch sales goals (i.e. coaching/motivating assigned staff in the sales/service of retail banking products, selling/cross-selling bank products, organizing/participating in branch campaign activities, etc.)

Cons

Bad Management, Poor Training Program

Advice to Management

Train New Hires

Bank of the West Photos

my desk
Half of the hallway. Same length down other way.

+ Add Photo