Bank of the West Reviews

261 reviews filtered by
2.9
Bank of the West Chairman & CEO J. Michael Shepherd
J. Michael Shepherd

Pros
  • Good Salary bur not good management and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, most of the employees are friendly and helpful (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I only recalled my manager telling us "good work" when my manager is praised by the upper management (in 10 reviews)

• And sometimes, the whole internal system of the bank is just really "old school" which makes communicating a little difficult (in 8 reviews)

1. Long time coming!

Former Employee - IT Engineer I in Monterey, CA
    Former Employee - IT Engineer I in Monterey, CA

I worked at Bank of the West

Pros

My group, we were family!

Cons

You are put in silos, this stalls your potential and plays one site off another.

It's the people, not the money that should matter. Your employees are why you make money.

2. Great company to work for

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to become a branch manager in 5+ years of employment If you want to build your carrier in retail banking

Cons

1 - lack of carrier growth unless your dream job is a branch manager
    2 - strict policy on pay increase; 2 % annually if you meet expectation

3. GREAT PLACE TO WORK

I worked at Bank of the West

Pros

Amazing management team - they are there to support their CSRs whenever needed. The HR is equally great and always make themselves available.

Cons

Could invest more professional development. Sometimes it feels as there's nowhere else to go. One can reach capacity in terms of improvement, then what's next.

Invest more in staff's professional development. Encourage growth and advancement. But I will say that management is very understanding when it comes to work-life balance with employees. I would also suggest more office events.

5. Great place to work. Upward potential if desired

Current Employee - Branch Manager
    Current Employee - Branch Manager

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Promotes from within. Transfers to other locations across the footprint are seamless

Cons

Heavy emphasis on sales for all positions

6. Needs to Change Reporting and Accountability

Current Employee - Vice President Investments in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Vice President Investments in Denver, CO

I have been working at Bank of the West

Pros

Decent Benefits. Great locations to work. Fairly good allegiance among employees with a great business mind set.

Cons

Business reporting lines and communications among various business lines non existent. No accountability among select people in local market developing new business and working with other business partners internally. Executive management oblivious to issues and have poor communication to the line employees.

Strike a balance between, compliance, sales, and client service. Company wants huge sales while saddling employees with huge overreaciton to regulatory authorities.

7. CSR

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and Management was always willing to work with my schedule when I was going to school.

Cons

I didn't like the sales aspect of the job and realized it was not the type of career I was looking for.

8. Old, outdated, management does not care for employees

Current Employee - Corporate Finance in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Finance in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Nothing positive, except peer level colleagues are nice, that is the only thing

Cons

Management thinks employees as costs, they do not value employee hard work.

For new employees, there is 3 month probation period, where they evaluate your work performance 30, 60, 90 days in, it is insulting to qualified working experienced professionals. But of course, they won't tell you this at interviews

Very stingy when it comes to reward employee hard work and for job well done. You get free company jacket and dinner with exec with 25 other people, that's it

High turnover rate within the company. Limited career advancement, there are just too many management levels involved

A lot of office politics, many levels of management levels, hard to get promoted with so many levels.

Some people who get employed at the bank probably can't get jobs elsewhere. There are people sleeping during the day, in their cube. People in hallway sit on sofa and chat for hours everyday !!!

Management and staff are slow, unproductive, un-decisive, most decisions take multiple meetings to decide.
    Make things much more complicated than needed. No set structures on processes and their IT support is not good, usually takes 20-30 mins to get any IT support at all and the management don't care, as long as they can save money.

The company provided laptop is HP, not user friendly, and not easy to dock, always something goes on with the computer.

Wi-Fi sometimes work, sometimes don't, so goes with the VPN and many other systems, they just don't want to spend the money to fix anything

Managers friendly outside and slam doors and cursing to fellow employees

Micromanagement to the extreme, disrespects employees on expected delivery timelines, always wants things done in unrealistic timelines.

Annual salary raise is pre-determined max at 2%, for most employees. The 2% annual raise target is given from the senior management and that is the MAX you can get, meaning if you get 100% positive performance reviews.

Their performance review grades from 1 to 5, with decimal point grading !!!!

Their benefits are not competitive,
    401K matching has a 4 year vesting schedule. For each year you work, you only get 25% of the match.

Their employee plan is ridiculous, given it is a bank, they give employees half a point off on their bank loans, very minimum use for such benefits

They do not offer gym membership, they only refer employees to the Health insurance company official website and tell them they can get up to 10% off on gym membership, that is not the benefit from the Bank, that is the benefit from the Health insurance company. It is much better deal just to get the gym membership from Costco !!!!

No on-site gym, only maybe on-site shower with no facility, and half of the time cold water running shower.

On-site cafeteria is a joke, very small, crowded, not good quality food. Kitchen is basic minimum, sometimes run out of kitchen towels/napkins. You need to make your own coffee, no expresso machines or coffee machines that automatically makes coffee, and they charge for snacks and soda and everything else

They cut back on health insurance coverage and increase deductible premium year over year. So expect even worse insurance coverage year after year. Management is trying to save money by cutting back on employee health benefits

The monthly insurance portion employees pays at each pay period is MUCH higher (almost double )than other bay area firms

Health insurance does not start immediately after working. You need to wait for one whole month, then the insurance starts to kick off in the next month. For example, if you start in January, you need to wait until March to get health insurance

and Parking is a hassle, if you arrive after 9:30am, good luck finding parking

There are too many things to be fixed.......If you could find jobs elsewhere, you wouldn't want to put up with it at the bank. Treat your employees well, they are not simply costs. And do your job and less office politics and gimmicks.

9. A great place to work.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative (CSR) in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (more than a year)

Pros

A great place to work. Competitive salary, willing and able managers and co-workers all working for the customer and their satisfaction. Company really promotes from within.

Cons

Working at the contact center, the hours could be better, its hard to move up the chain of command to get better hours because people have been here for so long.

N/A

10. This place gave me a lot of knowledge about interest you pay in your credit cards

Former Employee - Bank Teller
    Former Employee - Bank Teller

I worked at Bank of the West

Pros

Theres no good reasons to work at this Bank go somewhere else.

Cons

No opportunities for growth, managers just care bout sells

Good benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO

I worked at Bank of the West (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, very family friendly.

Cons

Hard to advance or get promoted. They are likely to promote someone based on sales rather than overall job performance.

Bank of the West Photos

my desk
Half of the hallway. Same length down other way.

+ Add Photo