Bank of the West

Updated December 16, 2014
2.8

Bank of the West Chairman & CEO J. Michael Shepherd
J. Michael Shepherd

Pros
  • Good Salary bur not good management and work life balance (in 11 reviews)

• Good pay, good benefits, most of the employees are friendly and helpful (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • I only recalled my manager telling us "good work" when my manager is praised by the upper management (in 10 reviews)

• And sometimes, the whole internal system of the bank is just really "old school" which makes communicating a little difficult (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

No Advancement Potential for Loyal Employees

Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are generally pleasant to work with.

Cons

Caps on raises make it impossible to earn a decent wage. Loyal employees get capped on raises even when being promoted to higher positions. They blame it on a pay grid that prevents upward movement. Absolute minimum insurance coverage offered. Adding my family to the plan would cost $1,300 per month. That would equal almost 50% of my gross pay, or approximately 65% of my take home pay.

Find positions for loyal employees to move to. You keep losing valuable members of the team because there is no advancement offered.

Diverse With Opportunities

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly work environment with pretty much all nationality represented. A lot of opportunities in the right departments. Job stability baring job cuts due to business decisions.

Cons

There is no such thing as work-life balance, very old fashioned management style, outdated technology, and poor training/onboarding program.

There are some pros as well as cons, equals out the overall experience

Current Employee - Section Coordinator in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Section Coordinator in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at Bank of the West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good people for the most part, collaborative management styles, opportunity for growth, great 401K matching program

Cons

WAY behind the times when it comes to technology, lower than average pay scales, layoffs are common

Customer Service

I have been working at Bank of the West

Pros

Small bank feel with a large bank backing.
    Ability to advance although slow moving.
    Career development is a main focus for all employees.
    Great benefits!

Cons

Slow to make decisions and hire new employees.
    High turnover.
    Slow to develop products and services to keep up with competitors.

Opportunity for Improvement

Former Employee - Vice President/Manager in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President/Manager in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The corporate office in San Ramon is newer and very nice with lots of parking and a cafeteria. BOW is able to attract smart, talented people and I felt like the people I worked with was one of the best aspects of my job. There are many long service employees which gives you a stable, secure feeling. There is opportunity for growth. Overall, I liked the work and the company.

Cons

There is a major issue with communication and information sharing from the top down. This will continue as long as Michael Shepard is President. BOW strives not to have a traditional banking environment but still suffers from typical issues in the financial services industry...namely too many men in senior roles, too many titles and too many politics. Also, there are some "mean" people in SVP roles. Sr. Management needs to focus on achieving results THROUGH people, rather than at the expense of people.

The Human Resources department needs to stop initiatives which try and positively influence employee perception. HR needs to take action and address negative behaviors in the workplace. A positive shift in employee perception and morale will result. Also, hire more women, specifically women with children, into the corporate office. Having bank branches run by and filled with women isn't enough!

Loved it!

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bank of The West was a great place to work. They really focused on customer service and not allowing the CSRs to make the customer feel like they are just a number. They really care about their employees and make sure to take care of them.

Cons

Traning could have been better for opening new accounts.

Consistently under staffs the branches with too few people, creating an unfair disadvantage for customer service scores.

I have been working at Bank of the West

Pros

Good to their employees who stick around. They do a great job of including all types of people from different cultures and backgrounds, and integrating them into the melting pot of employees.

Cons

Little to no training, under staffs the branches, not strong with technology. Upper management wants customer service scores to be excellent, yet the choice to under staff the branches makes it a challenge to move the score numbers in the right direction.

Former scape goat

Former Employee - Branch Manager Assistant Vice President in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Branch Manager Assistant Vice President in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of experienced employers that are dedicated to take care of long time clients.

Cons

Mafia minded management style. No transparent what so ever. Selfish upper management that will throw you under the bus.

Upper management needs to retire or change roles. The bank is losing great and loyal employees due to the monopoly of upper management.

Be very afraid ...

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some nice people, but they do NOT make up for the number of jerks and backstabbers. They have lots of projects, so there is job security from that perspective.

Cons

Micro managers, executives who yell at others, very antiquated sense of managers being some sort of superior beings and non managers being unworthy schmucks. Complete lack of any process improvement mindset, delusional employees who think they are "leaders". Backstabbing colleagues who keep an excel worksheet of when you logged on and when you left for lunch, when you came back to your desk, etc.

Treat employees with respect. Anyone who has been there more than 15 years has got to go- they are only pulling you down!

Senior Management Exceptional. Los Angeles market sucks

Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bank of the West full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

CEO and rest of senior management are brilliant, personable and otherwise exceptional. There are a lot of opportunities with this bank.

Cons

A couple of senior people in the Los Angeles commercial bank where I worked are disingenuous, back-stabbing manipulators. It's unfortunate, given that most people in LA and in SF are truly exceptional

Do 360 reviews. Also look at commercial banking operations performance based on your small market share vs your big bank capabilities and not on the puny market share a region may have the grows each year (if you have 3% market share and grow to 4% market share, that looks huge when you look at the year over year net increase, but is pathetic when you consider you still only have a tiny share of the market when you should have substantially more.

Bank of the West Photos

my desk
Half of the hallway. Same length down other way.

+ Add Photo