BankUnited

Updated September 17, 2014
Updated September 17, 2014
2.8

John A. Kanas

A bank that makes you feel appreciated

Current Employee - Bank Officer  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Bank Officer in Orlando, FL

I have been working at BankUnited full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bankunited has higher salary and bonus programs. Have a great market president who cares

Cons

For a small bank it is headed in the right direction and I have no complaints

None

Good learning experience

Former Employee - Relationship Banker III  in  Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Relationship Banker III in Miami, FL

I worked at BankUnited for more than 3 years

Pros

If you get a RB position you will learn how to read and understand commercial loans, will do credit analysis, understand wills, estate accounts and much more. This is a DO ALL at the branch experience. There very busy branches and very dead branches. If you get a busy one you will be lucky to have lunch at 3pm. Be ready to be the sales person knocking on businesses doors and asking if they are happy with their current bank or how can I be your banker type of thing. Compensation for loans closed was very good but you had to sweat to get it. I heard it changed. Pros are the knowledge you will get by doing so many different things.

Cons

Higher management thinks that you can knock on doors and sell commercial loans just like " that" with no business banking training and tactics. In fact they hire some bankers that are worst than car salesmen..I would run if I was the client. fishy bankers there...anyways..the sales pressure is horrendous and it scares a lot of good bankers away. The bad bankers stay max for 3 months they can't deal with the paperwork and the diligence of opening accounts ...the good ones that like banking would stay if they don't get affected by the constant sales pressure. Cons: change of goals every quarter to be convenient to the bank leaving bankers wondering what is the next dance? Rock or pop?

Great place to work

Current Employee - Relationship Banker  in  Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Miami, FL

I have been working at BankUnited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Room for growth -

Cons

Resources can be a drag when completing certain task.

Invest in Human Capital - and weed off the ones that are a cancer to the workforce

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful work/sales environment.

I worked at BankUnited full-time

Pros

Incentive and salary. Overall outlook of the company is great. Upper management and back office are supportive and responsive.

Cons

Sales pressure, work load, unattainable expectations. Stressful working conditions, very high sales pressure.

Create a more motivating environment.

Hard to advance

I have been working at BankUnited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Line people are very supportive

Cons

Some areas of Management do not assist with developing employees.

Appreciate your existing employees

Review

I worked at BankUnited

Pros

Hours are somewhat feasible because the bank is not open on Sunday.

Cons

Salary is not commiserate with experience. Goals are unrealistic.

Unrealistic sales goals, no formal training and high turnover

Current Employee - Relationship Banker
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker

I have been working at BankUnited full-time for more than a year

Pros

Traditional bank holidays, flexible scheduling

Cons

I have been with BankUnited for a year now and I must say, this company never ceases to surprise me....in every bad way possible. From the time you apply until the time you complete training, BankUnited misleads you into thinking the Relationship Banker position is comparable to a Personal Banker at other institutions. It is far from it! A relationship banker at BankUnited is solely responsible for BUSINESS banking production. Your sales goals are based on commercial loan production, non-interest bearing deposit growth and treasury management referrals. They have absolutely no formal credit training and they do not teach you anything about business lending; basically they throw you to the wolves and hope that you figure it out on your own. The upper management puts so much pressure on the retail staff that BankUnited cannot retain employees. I have seen more turnover at this company than any other I've ever worked for. The quarterly bonuses are above average for retail banking, but still much lower than a typical business banking position. Starting in 2014, they changed the whole incentive plan making it near impossible for RB's to hit their quarterly goals....and TRUST ME, the hourly pay is NOTHING for the stress that you are put under. Like I said, I have been here for a year, I have a really good reputation within the company, but I feel it is necessary to give my honest opinion. This is not a position or company I would willingly apply for had I known all of the details. Take my advice, pursue another bank!

Replace them!

Warning managers will bite and bite hard!

I worked at BankUnited

Pros

Incentive payouts in years 2012 and 2013.
    That's the only positive comment that I can make for this bank and the horror they put you through.

Cons

Bank managers harass and abuse their staff on a daily basis.
    Branch managers take out family members lunch or dinner and writes it off on their expense report.
    Employees do not speak out fear of losing their jobs because they don't know that there are much better opportunities out there.

Audit your top branches that made incentive during years 2012 and 2013.
    You will find that branch managers play with their numbers.
    Stock holders beware of this banks ethical standards.
    Starts with managers and above.

Fantastic bank! ...if you've the right managers...

Current Employee - Relationship Banker  in  Fort Myers, FL
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Fort Myers, FL

I have been working at BankUnited full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation, challenge, time spent out of the branch is nearly equal to time spent inside.

Cons

Get the right manager and you won't have much to complain about. The bank could defintely have better communication, standardization, and clearer uniformity regarding up-to-date credit policies and procedures for RBs...

Teach RBs to understand and perform cash flow one-on-one, encourage/challenge them whenever possible rather than criticizing (most managers are good with this), and give them a clear and simple system for filling that pipe-line. Don't rely on corporate training crash courses. Give them your time and educate RBs on both the sales and financial aspects of business banking.

Relationship Banker

I have been working at BankUnited part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great incentive if your manager stops stealing loan referrals generated by you or your teammates.

Cons

Daily harassment from managers. Toxic environment. Sad to say, but bank employees compare their managers as cancer.
    Employees are advised not clock in for the time they are working to avoid overtime. Employees are so afraid of loosing their jobs that they clock out before they are finished with their daily duties at the end of the day.
    Managers give paid time off to employees that they favor.
    Managers knows of employees taking thousands of dollars from clients because the client complained. Manager signs off employee's family member account to put into that employees account! The truth will come out soon. Advise to that manager with one word.... Karma!

Managers manipulate numbers. Look at the loans and non interest bearing account a few days before the end of the quarter then look again after the end of the quarter. Lines are advanced to the accounts for incentive purposes then returned back to the lines.
    Investors of Bankunited see what a monster you have created!! Sad, so sad!!

Worked for BankUnited? Contribute to the Community!