Bankers Life

Updated February 27, 2015
2.6

Bankers Life President Scott Goldberg
Scott Goldberg

Pros
  • Great training - Take advantage of all of it - do all of the self training as well (in 23 reviews)

• Good training and (at least in our local office) a great office atmosphere (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% commission was tough in beginning - but you build your base (in 27 reviews)

• You are an agent, not an employee; there are no benefits unless you become a manager (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

1. Featured Review

Awesome opportunity if you want to work hard to build your own business.

I have been working at Bankers Life

Pros

Excellent training with a solid product line . Helping folks on a daily basis to protect themselves from the uncertainties of life.

Cons

100% commissioned career . You get out of it exactly what you put in to it.

Excellent Company to work for! :)

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Evansville, IN
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Evansville, IN

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

One of the top training companies in the world, High commissions, Great business model, Focused on helping people with needs based analysis, Unlimited earning potential, etc I've been working here for 3 years and I love it!!

Cons

It can be the toughest 30K per year job or the easiest 6 figure per year career. You have to dedicate yourself and learn the business. We have many people in our office making 100K+ per year, but they certainly work hard for it. One 28 year old gentleman cleared over $470K last year, but he's an EXTREMELY hard worker. It is what you make it. If you're not a hard worker than don't waste your time, but if you love helping people and protecting families its a very rewarding career.

Some kind of enhanced compensation program for new agents would be nice. Phenomenal training program though.

Hard work is greatly rewarded

Current Employee - Unit Field Trainer in Scarborough, ME
    Current Employee - Unit Field Trainer in Scarborough, ME

I have been working at Bankers Life

Pros

Great compensation and bonus plan

Cons

Long hours and a lot of driving

Lots of opportunities to grow

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I've seen huge potential to grow here. No micromanaging; a lot of freedom to work independently while still feeling the support of our field agents and managers, and other departments at home office. My coworkers are my friends, and my supervisors always have my back.

Cons

Working in such a highly regulated industry at a conservative-leaning company can present challenges and struggles.

Focus more on long-term strategies rather than short-term fixes.

Bankers Review

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Farmington, CT
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Farmington, CT

I have been working at Bankers Life

Pros

Great Potential Great Potential Great potential Great potential Great potential Great potential

Cons

Cold Calling cold Calling cold calling Cold calling cold calling Cold Calling

Dont Partner new Employees with Bad performing Veterans

For the Life of Your Career

Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Vice President in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's hard a find another financial services company that is this focused on serving middle America. Everyday I'm reminded of the importance of serving our customers, who often have few other options for getting advice. Management is results-driven, but also caring, with a great history of nurturing professional development. Decision-making is straight-forward - not political, the company values are broadly shared, and the strategy and vision are very compelling.

Cons

It's a company on the verge of reaching the Fortune 500 and is rapidly investing to build new, modern infrastructure and processes. So, you have to be ready for constant change.

Keep focused on the middle market - it's what makes Bankers Life stand apart.

Great place to work

I have been working at Bankers Life

Pros

Fantastic work environment. The people are generally happy and friendly. Great location. Strive for employees to be healthy.

Cons

The office is not the most up-to-date. It's in a high rise, so there are very few windows that most employees can see out of.

You need a business loan to make it in this job

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Concord, NH
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Concord, NH

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The managers are always available.
    The training goes beyond any other private company I have seen.
    If you can survive 545 days with minimum pay at long intervals, then I have been told this is a great place to work.
    They do not force you to come in during blizzards.

Cons

*You are commissioned based from the start. This includes the 1 week of training you are forced to take with no opportunity to make a commission.
    *You book all of your own appointments with no assistance from veteran agents.
    *Veteran agents go with you on the appointments and you split your commission with him / her. That person then gains the person you spent hours to make a sale with as a client.
    *Much of your work is to feed the veteran agents.
    *Unless you have an existing customer base, or a strong presence in the community, you will go hungry, you will go on welfare, and you will wonder why you're working 40+ hours and are on welfare.
    *If you don't succeed in 90 days, they treat it as though it is all your fault for not being 'out there more.'
    *You have to be a machine and put any consideration for your elders aside in order to book appointments.

*Compensation should be given to new agents. We cannot earn money for the week that we are in training, so pay us for it. Maybe you could use some of the money for trips and events to pay new agents so that we can focus more on providing a superior level of customer service and not how hungry we are or on the verge of bankruptcy?

*Allow us to split commissions with senior agents on his / her own appointments. They cut our meager pay in half, it's only fair that they should be made to split their commissions with us on their own appointments. Watching more closings is a valuable training tool and could give me more incentive to stay.

Ok start if you want to get into the Insurance Industry

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Bankers Life (less than a year)

Pros

Training was very good and they pay for your first insurance license test. Trainer's were very good and nice. They let you ride along with them in the beginning to learn how to sell the product to a potential client. I use some of the strategies I learned here where I'm at today.

Cons

Cold-calling long lists over and over which aggravated people that told you no. You have to make at least 300 calls and set at least 4 appointments, no matter the quality, to please management otherwise you will lose your contract. The leads are non-existent when you start and when you start to receive them they are not very good. You cannot work at your own pace. They tell you you're building your own business but you have to do whatever they say. It's also Commission Only so there is no base pay to help you keep yourself off the ground.

Beware chicago area

I have been working at Bankers Life

Pros

Great bonding with agents who want to run an honest business Outside Chicago.

Cons

Most agents and managers will stab you vs help you. Only use competion as a model to motivate, pay 1099 treat you like a w2.

Replace