Bankers Life Reviews

Updated April 25, 2015
446 reviews filtered by

Great place to work

I have been working at Bankers Life

Pros

Fantastic work environment. The people are generally happy and friendly. Great location. Strive for employees to be healthy.

Cons

The office is not the most up-to-date. It's in a high rise, so there are very few windows that most employees can see out of.

All hype, no productivity

I worked at Bankers Life

Pros

For the most part, people are generally honest and try to do the right thing. Extensive and ongoing training.

Cons

Office I'd like a revolving door. People are hired, show some promise, and then leave because the chances you will make a decent salary at this job are very, very small. Office mentality is juvenile. Even though you are supposed to be a 1099 worker, they treat you like you are on the clock. The manager's idea of a pep talk is ranting at you for an hour about how bad you are doing. Unfortunately, this atmosphere fosters desperation in some people to do unethical things to succeed. The company does not tolerate this and these employees are promptly fired. However, it has very negative effects on morale.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees with the same amount of respect. Be more selective with hiring process. Foster a more positive working environment. Stop treating your 1099 workers like you own them.

Unethical

I worked at Bankers Life

Pros

Set your own schedule and work independently

Cons

unethical managers who steal leads and commissions. shortly after I left all the managers got caught doing these things and were all fired and led away

Advice to Management

base salary, paid leads emailed directly to agents not distributed by managers

Lots of drinking and wondering how to pay your bills.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Colorado Springs, CO
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you like seeing the state and driving everywhere then you'll enjoy this job. Potential for a decent income is there and the training is pretty good for entering the insurance trade.

Cons

Favoritism in the office is insane. Give all the leads to a few agents. Cold call your face off and lie to old people to get an appointment. Commission percentages are ridiculously low.

Advice to Management

Work with your employees and actually know your own business. Calling corporate for every answer is crazy. Practice what you preach.

Administration Position

Current Employee - Branch Office Administrator in Towson, MD
    Current Employee - Branch Office Administrator in Towson, MD

I have been working at Bankers Life

Pros

Great Company, good pay, good hours.

Cons

There is no actual job description so you can get stuck doing many tasks and your job could change all together. No upward mobility in the office admin position.

7. Nice company, great opportunities, great coworkers

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Bankers Life

Pros

Great positive atmosphere, there's great people there, agents are helpful.

Cons

Very tedious work, it's rewarding but incredibly tedious.

Do not work there

I worked at Bankers Life

Pros

Got experience in cold calling

Cons

Never saw any commission from the sells i made

Too much left up to field trainer.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Wichita, KS

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very human centered, retirement focused business.

Cons

(in my case) extremely unethical field trainer/co-workers, lack of benefits, leaving people out to dry. Unpaid training. Very peaks and valleys salaries for first year (expect to go hungry)

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate field trainers from an outside perspective (not just on how many new clients their jr. agent has brought in ) too much is left up to their judgment of new agents.

Take about half what they say as the truth, if you can live with that, then this may be a job for you.

I have been working at Bankers Life

Pros

Training is excellent, both in person and online. Their are some some really great people in the company, mostly agents trying to just get by.

Cons

They fill you with half-truths about what you will be doing. Tell you they supply you with leads, but in reality they give you a listing of people turning 65 to cold call. these people are usually burned out on all the people calling them for the same reason, often many times a day by Bankers agents.

Advice to Management

Realize there are only so many people turning 65 in the county per year. do the math and realize what that real number is. Build a quality sales force that can handle the number. Then let the quality number of agents handle your market share. The constant influx of unskilled agents taking up vauable prospects delutes the earning potential of the company, branch and ultimately, sales team of qualified agents.

kind of reminds me of a startup insurance company with all of the mistakes and errors they make but its not a startup

Former Employee - Management and Producer
    Former Employee - Management and Producer

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

excellent training program but you have to pay 100 percent of all of your expenses while you are training. During that time. The trainers tend to not want to work with you because they have to provide many appointments for you to go on and then split the commission with you. Now it appears the trainers around the country are starting to realize that the trainer position is the worst position in the companyso the good ones are stepping out of bed roll and you have left trainers who are not 6. Or ethical. The good part pretty much ends at the training because everything else is a head scratcher as to why I spent this many years there as I did

Cons

the company has no skin in the game from the very beginning. You pay for all of your expenses including your gas, you have no say anything ....they control your book of business that you create, and when you leave many times they canceled applications you wrote before you left and they go out and rewrite them so they do not have to split Commission. Its a concern that when you begin to be worried about things such as a pension and renewals and you ultimately inquire and ask questions about it, i did not get real answers and they will not put any of that information in writing. When I left the company I asked for a print out of my pension as I was lifetime president honours Circle member so my pension was supposed to have doubled (according to the vice president of the company when I receive that honor) when I retire. However I have received a letter from Prudential benefits saying that there is no pension.Their products are very mediocre at best and very overpriced and is there a new ities do not perform and have no writers such as income benefits death benefits and you can't even take monthly withdrawals so it makes no sense for a retiree to use at Bankers Life Annuity

Advice to Management

the products that you offer are just not competitive in the industry. It would probably be a good idea to get out of the business all together and try something else. Its very disappointing to know that when someone leaves, an internal investigation can be done even though people that are a party to giving information in the investigation are crooked themselves so they lie in their lies are believed. It is pretty easy to see the corruption flows in at Bankers Life. I had concerns before I left two and a half years before I left and I went to some of the time people including HR and nothing was taken seriously. It seems like a lot of the offices have issues with sexual harassment and management not taking things seriously when they are broughta problem. Favorites are often played so, I was a top producer at the company this is coming from me but it appears that management at Bankers Life has a lot of work to do to get themselves figured out. I will continue to spend money getting the word out that Bankers Life is not a good place to begin your career or finish your career, but that there are many other better places for a new agent to begin. Western southern comes to mind just in the beginning but there's many others