Bankers Life

Updated January 24, 2015
2.5

Bankers Life President Scott Goldberg
Scott Goldberg

Pros
  • Great training - Take advantage of all of it - do all of the self training as well (in 23 reviews)

• Good training and (at least in our local office) a great office atmosphere (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • 100% commission was tough in beginning - but you build your base (in 27 reviews)

• You are an agent, not an employee; there are no benefits unless you become a manager (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Questionable ethics and poor training.

I worked at Bankers Life

Pros

Flexible hours potential to make money if you don't mind being pushy and rude with elderly people.

Cons

Required use of personal cell phones when the office phone wouldn't allow you to call, little to no training on expected dialog, and little to no regards for the people that were being dealt with everything seemed to be about the bottom line no questions asked.

How Does One Company Suck So Bad?

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Saint Joseph, MO
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Saint Joseph, MO

I have been working at Bankers Life as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Can't think of a single thing. This has got to be the most useless place ever created for an insurance agent to work.

Cons

COLD LEADS!! COLD LEADS!!! COLD LEADS!!!! Regardless of what they tell you in the interview, you are going to start out with a pile of dead, useless leads that have been picked over dozens of times. You will be calling 8-10 hours a day 2 times a week and spend the rest of your time door knocking.

The training is rammed through so fast you don't get a chance to digest anything. Most of the training focuses on how to call the cold leads I already mentioned or how to knock on people's doors and beg for appointments.

YOU have to pay for a bunch of stuff. You need your own smartphone, tablet or computer to carry with you for work. You have to buy THEIR GPS program called Streets & Trips. YOU have to pay for stamps and envelops to send out mailers. Plan on spending several hundred dollars in order to work for them.

When calling your cold, dead leads, you have to call in to Bankers' phone system so they can track the # of calls you make each day. That would be fine but when you enter your personal "PIN" number, the system displays YOUR personal phone number on the clients' caller ID's. You will be getting calls at all times of the day and night from people you don't know on your personal phone because you called them earlier in the day through Bankers' phone system.

Managers and Trainers will do everything in their power to screw you out of commissions while you are training. I lost the only two potential sales I've had in two weeks because I was cheated out of them. YOU WILL GET SCREWED OUT OF YOUR COMMISSIONS!

Try offering new agents a base salary while they are starting out and learning the ropes. You might get a better quality of potential agents that way. Quit letting Managers and Trainers screw over the people they're supposed to be helping. Be realistic about where employees will start out (cold leads) during interviews. Don't be so cheap and pay for envelops and postage for lead mailers. QUIT LYING to potential new hires. Don't teach one thing and do something completely different. Your ethics suck.

Horrible horrible horrible

Former Employee - Insurance Agent 1099 in New Bern, NC
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent 1099 in New Bern, NC

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I did meet some incredible people while working here (potential clients). Would be ok for someone who had time to build a clientele... Retired etc.

Cons

This is a horrible place to work. Everyone is fighting over leads and agents are very cut throat. Be prepared to starve while working here. There was little training and everyone was out for themselves. Once you quit.... Agents rewrite your business so that you get charge backs.

Be more helpful to new agents.

100% commission

Former Employee - Sales in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Sales in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you're really good at selling than you can potentially make good money.

Cons

no base salary. You don't sell you don't get a penny

Serious sales candidates won't work for 100% commission

Awful

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There isn't a single positive thing to say except I know what not to look for in my next job

Cons

The "Leads" you get you pay for after the call center @ colonial penn in PA has dialed through them.
    Management gets a large override during your first few months so that's why they churn and burn.
    This is the worse insurance company to possible work for.

Stop treating people like cattle and actually invest into helping them succeed. Way to top heavy and corporate nor the high ups in the field want it to change.

Run as fast as you can

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Brea, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Brea, CA

I worked at Bankers Life (less than an year)

Pros

None zero zip nada zilch

Cons

They prey on the unemployed by mining CalJobs (and probably other government and independent websites) claiming their "manager found your resume online and you'll be perfect for this role". The role is an independent commission based sales position, I have zero experience in sales. The person on the phone seemed offended I wasn't interested since I'm not working at this time.

They are obviously reading from a script, using my name multiple times and getting flustered when I asked a question out of order.

If you want to hire people to shill your product be forthcoming about what type of business this is.

Highest Turnover of Sales Staff ---ever seen

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Bankers Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Intro training to insurance products

Cons

Leads are recycled --- same folks in office continually call people, thinking that they have a new lead --- only to be told that "at least 5 people" from your office have called me in the last 2 weeks.

Do not lie to sales staff. --- There is as much as a 75% turnover in sales people (Philadelphia office) in a given year,
    Throughout the interview, if you ask this question of turnover, they skirt it by indicating some do very well and some don not but will never give an actual statistic. I know this personally.

I worked at Bankers Life as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They had a good sales program. Take the training if you don't know how to sell, and then get out.

Cons

The job itself is a con. In the several months that I worked there, I essentially paid to work there. Between paying for gas, leads, taxes, and chargebacks, I went into debt working for this company even though I was one of the top producers. Even if you move into management, it's not worth it. After you leave the company they'll come up with all of this money you owe them, so be ready for collections calls.

Good Luck

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Only in the office for 2 days per week. A lot of autonomy in working the hours you want. ability for unlimited income if you're a sales superstar.

Cons

Products are not competitive. Life insurance and long term care products won't pay out on claims submitted by policy holders. 100% commission based= you won't get paid for weeks into your job. Leads are all recycled and you often split your commissions with others. Commissions are not payed straight forward. Always have to double check payroll to match what you actually get paid matches the commission statement. immoral sales techniques that target vulnerable senior population.

Pay a base salary to really develop a moral, motivated, and ethical sales team.

Not worth it!

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at Bankers Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly people, and great office manager.

Cons

Cold calls to people that have been called a million times. Co workers steal clients from you. Just when you think you are getting ahead you get a charge back. They take money out of your commission.