Bankers Life & Casualty

Updated October 22, 2014
2.5

Bankers Life & Casualty President Scott Perry
Scott Perry

Pros
  • Good training and (at least in our local office) a great office atmosphere (in 21 reviews)

• Great training - Take advantage of all of it - do all of the self training as well (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • This is 100% commission so it's a lot of work to put into (in 23 reviews)

• Cold calls to people that have been called a million times (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

So far...not bad

I have been working at Bankers Life & Casualty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good training and (at least in our local office) a great office atmosphere. Everyone is very friendly and helpful from the managers down to the new agents.

Cons

Commission only. Long hours especially if you are not located close to the local office. With training and license requirements, you can be without an income for a while which hurts especially if you have been out of work. I haven't been there long enough to share much more here.

Consider offering some kind of base pay to help new agents get on their feet. I think more folks would stick it out if they didn't have to mortgage the family farm to work here. (OK, an overstatement, but you get my point I think).

Bankers Life Home Office, Marketing Manager

Former Employee - Manager, Marketing Communications in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager, Marketing Communications in Chicago, IL

I worked at Bankers Life & Casualty full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Variety of projects, opportunity to work on high-profile creative copywriting and design projects for departments across the company, good salary and bonus structure, onsite health clinic and wellness program

Cons

Very busy project workload and the ability to hire staff/contract resources can be limited

Practically a scam for a job

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at Bankers Life & Casualty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

honestly there were no pros that i could name. they were not up front about anything. and they offer everyone a job on the spot.

Cons

you will never make any money do this job. they lie to you about how much money you will actually make. then make you pay more money out of pocket the day of the interview.

stop hiring people off the street

Little leagues

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Bankers Life & Casualty full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can learn how to sell insurance.

Cons

The company and the branches are not on the same page and the products are inferior to products the larger companies offer. I was forced to ride around with new agents and split my commissions . If you don't see the same vision as the branches they will shut you off from leads. There is zero work life balance. The medicare supplements are incredibly over priced. There is a far better way to practice insurance. They do not care who the hire, so you are around very unprofessional people who you must train in the field and give money to and buy there meals because they have no money. Leads are recycled so everyone in office calls same people.

Tell the truth when hiring people.

Beware --- almost a Ponzi scheme in which layers of pseudo management get huge overrides on your efforts --- 20-30%.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phila, PA

I worked at Bankers Life & Casualty as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

You think that you are getting some training in insurance---and perhaps you are, as you have to pass licensing tests (your expense)

Cons

Mandatory early morning meets, taking time away from sales calls. Boiler room telephone type call center, in which "lists" are recycled and given to different people. People have to dial as many calls as they can and keep track of the #. Frankly, a chimpanzee can do this.
    No salary --- in fact when you leave, sales agents "rebook" your policies sold, which cause chargebacks almost 1 year later.

Practice what you preach. It has been repeatedly said "Do as I say, not what I do."

Only In It For The Money; Who Cares About The Clients!

Former Employee - Individual Producer in King of Prussia, PA
    Former Employee - Individual Producer in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at Bankers Life & Casualty full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing to speak off. Location outside of Philadelphia was great.

Cons

Cold Calls, Undefined Prospect Area or Income Level, Poor Customer Service allowed if you are a major producer (one agent had over 30 UNDELIVERED policies in the trunk of his car), Unequal training.

Understand that you say that you provide top-notch financial and insurance service to the senior (65+) population with unwavering customer service, but your trainers and veteran agents are lauded for only making the company money, despite the poor customer service they provide.

sales agent

I worked at Bankers Life & Casualty

Pros

still cant find any good things for working there.

Cons

very unreliable manegmanat .. too many changes in one officw

When working with Bankers you feel right at home, but as soon as you move on they feed you to the dogs.

I worked at Bankers Life & Casualty as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

If you need flexibility this is the job for you. There is room to grow in the company. You get free coffee. Everyone is really nice and welcoming.

Cons

Right off the bat the manager lies to you. If you have ever sold before than you know that there is a difference between soft and hard sales. If your told that they are soft sales then that is what you expect when you start. Just so you are aware they are not soft. Then your told that you are part of the team only to find that you are a contract employee. Your pay is changed without your knowledge. When you move on you get this unexpected and sort of threatening letter.

Try to be a little more caring when a person decides that Bankers isn't the place for them. The unexpected letter you send in the mail is really unnecessary. By the time those letters arrive more than likely everything has already been disposed of in regards to Bankers. Tried to be more honesty to the people you plan to hire and maybe the turn over rate would be better.

Don't Know What I Walked Into

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Brentwood, TN
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Brentwood, TN

I worked at Bankers Life & Casualty as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible work hours as being in the field, excellent training, wonderful co-workers, some very nice customers at times and close to home which is 18 miles from my residence.

Cons

Office cubicles are ridiculously small especially if you have to bring in all of your equipment to set-up office, 100 percent commission and hidden fees not disclosed in the interview that will reduce part of your commissions, shady and deceitful phone script that makes an agent question his or her own morale and integrity, not getting reimbursed for gas, food and other expenses, you have to pay for your own business cards, leads are more than 2-3 months old and by the time; most people went with another company, same phone lists shared by all agents in the office when cold calling, cold calling and difficult filling appointment book for the week, office mismanagement with a personnel with a high turnover rate and too much to list.

My experience with Bankers is not all bad but good too. But the problem with Bankers is they lie to customers with shady phone scripts to enter into their homes and a lot of times, you don't explain to the people that you lied to try to earn their business. So therefore, you don't get the sale no matter how well experience of an agent you are.

I was under a team leader who was also in charge of another office and did not spent enough time to go over with me about certain products and did not go over the scheduling online.

The regional manager always preach to people to show up in business attire meaning that guys always wear collar shirt and a tie. During the end of each sales quarter, at the quarterly events, you have to wear a collar shirt and a tie to go go-carting, bowling, golfing and etc which was ridiculous.

Cold calling was repetitive and a lot of times you have to lie to customers about something that never was mailed to them in the first place which was very immoral and considered illegal. The phone script was used by all of the agents and the list of calling potential clients was a big joke because all the agents had that same list but the agents, depending on the team you are under and the agent who you were working with to be in the field during the week, cover different counties but over the long haul, another agent will call that person over and over again that you called like a week or month ago.

My advice is do research of insurance companies before you sign with them as a contractor because you will go broke and when you do not see the benefits, get out early like I did. I stayed about a month and spent more on gas, lunch and supplies than I was paid for.

To make this company better, my advice is stop hiring just anyone and everyone. The reason why Bankers is still living is they take a huge chunk out of new agents pay, hidden fees for leads and selling business cards when they should be free to begin with.

If you want a well regarded company for the future, you will need to stop hiring just anyone and treat the company like it is a new company which no one heard of before by being selective with someone who you feel will be a hard worker and look after their best interest. Give them all the expertise from your training and motivate them and stop treating them as a statistic who will be dissatisfied of how the office is run and leave after that.

Also to reduce high turnover rate, stop using shady phone scripts and reduce cold calling for something better like a lead generating program on the website, provide paid training and reimburse the agents and contractors for gas, lunch and supplies.

This is a very tough business and when you get more no's then yes's, it gets very difficult to make a living for extended hours of work that you will not get paid right away especially after you make a sale. After the first application you write, it can take 4-6 weeks to get your first commission check in your checking account.

And stop telling agents and customers that Bankers Life and Casualty own certain insurance companies when in actuality, Bankers Life and sister companies are owned by a holding group. And stop lying to new agents during the interview and don't keep them from knowing the hidden fees.

Work hard and there is $

Former Employee - Unit Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Unit Sales Manager

I worked at Bankers Life & Casualty full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Leads- names and phone # of people in the target market...Not people who want to buy! Office space and training.

Cons

People are not interested in buying insurance. Its HARD you have to work hard. It you can get appointments and talk to people you will make $

They will take almost anyone. They will still put you threw the " interview process " but if you are not comfortable calling 200+ people a DAY and sitting in 15+ peoples homes a week you will have a hard time being successful at Bankers