Bankrate

Bankrate President & CEO Kenneth S. Esterow

Kenneth S. Esterow

awesome

Market Analyst (Current Employee) Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Prosvery laid back, no micromanagement, work at your own pace

Consphone work, dealing with irrational people

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to employees

Challenging and rewarding, fast paced work internment--great team!

ProsAmazing group of individuals. Competitive benefits and salary. Great work-life balance. Paid holidays and vacation. Fun group outings and activities.

ConsDon't have many cons. Wish my position could work remotely.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to challenge and reward your staff

Good Company

Software Manager (Former Employee) North Palm Beach, FL

ProsBenefits are good, most employees are very friendly. Good management staff. Hours are good for developers.

ConsInfrastructure is overly complicated for what they do. Growth seems pretty limited, development environment suppresses creativity at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep treating people well.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent website for freelance personal finance writers

Contributing Writer (Current Employee) North Palm Beach, FL

ProsEditors reply promptly and courteously. Once you build relationships, you can have steady work. Quality of writing on website is high, and everyone is professional. Pay rate is respectable for online work. Bankrate pays very quickly.

ConsI can't think of any cons. Management considers queries on Wednesdays, so get your ideas in on Monday or Tuesday for the best chance of success.

Want preferential treatment, lack of leadership.. Then this is for you...

Principal Software Engineer (Current Employee) North Palm Beach, FL

ProsMost of the people who actually do work here are great, but that's just a limited few

ConsWithin the IT group, it's all about preferential treatment. It's not an even playing field from management. Too many chiefs, not enough indians. Everyone gets promoted here (as long as you're already in management), and many of them don't deserve it. I've been here over 8 years and it's never changed here. If you're not a manager already, you'll never get anywhere, don't try because I have and it's a non-winning situation. I stay here only because it's close to my home in north palm beach.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink of some advancement and get some training yourself on employee relationships.

Not worth the time

ProsGreat people and provided coffee/breakfast. I am really not sure there is anything else positive that could be said that wouldn't be a flat lie.

ConsExecutive management of the Insurance branch is too junior to make the proper decisions and place priorities where they need to be placed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop behaving as though you belong to a contemptuous clique, communicate to your employees, and focus on long term objectives rather than short term gains.

Ad Trafficking Coordinator

Ad Trafficking Coordinator (Former Employee) North Palm Beach, FL

ProsGreat place to work, great benefits, great culture

ConsSmall team, so it can take a long time for new opportunities to become available.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. One word of advice: Ask for more input from employees.

Career limiting company

Principal Scapegoat (Current Employee) Denver, CO

ProsDowntown Denver is a nice location, provide eco pass with employment, benefits are decent, but none of the Pros are worth the headache of working there.

ConsHigh employee turnover (4 left this week). Constant 'which hunting', unhealthy team dynamics, protectionism, Everything else you can imagine.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring in strong management from outside the company. Promoting from within continues the downward spiral the company is experiencing.

Change is not always good or bad, just different.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Denver, CO

Pros-Good career opportunities exist for those who care about their jobs and perform well.

-People who do not care about their jobs, typically do not last long.

-Industry Leader
    -Good Benefits
    -Location downtown is superb
    -Free coffee, soda, snacks, catered food on occasion
    -Young professionals make the culture much more enjoyable
    -Company always advertises new positions internally and does look to promote within whenever possible.

ConsBankrate is extremely corporate, and as a result things tend to move at an excruciatingly slow pace. Everything from a new entry level hire, to when you can use the restroom, seems to have to be approved by Bankrate corporate, which is an excruciating process in and of itself.

There appears to be a duplication of efforts between the executive team that was put into place by Bankrate to run the Insurance vertical, and the executives in New York who appear to be trying to maintain control of a company whom they never visit.

After the Acquisition of NetQuote.com and the subsequent merger between NetQuote and Insureme, the culture definitely became much more of a politically motivated environment, than a results motivated environment. As a result, many key individuals have left the company in search of a more desirable work environment, and some have actually been fired for giving their honest feedback to the executive team.

Bankrate no longer hires directly for service and sales related positions. Rather, they hire through a temp agency which provides disposable employees at extremely low pay who come and go without ever really learning the business, or having any motivation to perform.

Bankrate appears to be running the company at an extremely high margin as almost none of the employees who have left have been replaced. This has left the remaining employees disgruntled as there has been little to no attempt to secure the remaining employees who continue to work hard for the company, other than the possibility of a company standard 3% annual pay increase.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy put an executive team in place if you do not trust their ability to make good decisions for the company?

Start filling the positions of those who will left to show that you are committed to your company. Without committing to your employees, no employee will commit to your company.

Stop hiring temps to do the most important jobs (which is retaining your customer base).

Offer incentives for performers, and recognize those who perform.

Hated It.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) North Palm Beach, FL

ProsFree coffee, free soda and sometimes catered food.
    An extreme lack of work gives you plenty of free time to watch movies on your computer, so make friends with your headphones.
    You can bring a pillow to work for naps.

ConsWhere should I start?
    1. If you are not in the right cliche don't expect any promotions.
    2. Be prepared to be bored and I mean very bored as you sit around waiting for things to get approved so you can move on to the next thing.
    3. No one ever talks in person, everything is communicated through e-mail or IM.
    4. There is a department with only 2 people and one is a VP.
    5. Lots of waste, such as having a 2 person department and one being a VP.
    6. Most people are just concerned with making sure no one else really knows how little work they really do lest they lose their job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat management?

Worked for Bankrate? Contribute to the Community!