Banner Health Reviews

Reset
3.1
Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine
Peter S. Fine

Pros
  • Good benefits, if you qualify for them (in 17 reviews)

• Everyone helped each other to maintain excellent patient care (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Patient care takes a backseat to monetary gain (in 17 reviews)

• There a lot of upper management issues (in 11 reviews)

Retail Manager

Current Employee - Retail Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Retail Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great People, Good Benefits, Flexible Schedule. Fair Pay. I am proud to work for Banner. It has a good reputation with most people.

Cons

Senior Leadership Changes are currently in progress throughout the company. You have to be okay with that. The company is growing in leaps and bounds. This can cause some uncertainty and frustration. They try to minimize the impact but it's still an issue for many..

Advice to Management

Bring the lower level positions up in compensation. Upper management is compensated extremely well but the average worker not so much.

2. RN Case Manager

Former Employee - Registered Nurse Case Manager in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse Case Manager in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Banner Health (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most people who work there are nice and willing to help you

Cons

Upper management does not care about staff ( from my experience in the hospital ) the pay is not that good

Advice to Management

remember you are people not robots

3. Stay away from the pharmacy at Good Sam.

Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Technician in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some of my co workers made it more enjoyable. Overtime was available. Helped with my experience.

Cons

The pharmacy staff are very cliquy. Lots of side drama. No teamwork and upper management is a joke. No room for growth and people constantly call out. Short staffed. A lot of "that's not my job" attitudes. High turnover rate. And the training system is very unorganized. Stay away.

Advice to Management

Come out of your office at be more engaged with the staff. Every time I have a question they always give me a run around answer. Things are only a concern if it's very urgent. Otherwise don't expect a "manager."

Ok if you don't want to grow

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time

Pros

Great team, good department management!

Cons

Nowhere to grow as an administrative asst.

Advice to Management

Make career paths for everyone, not just medical personnel.

Operation's Consultant

Current Employee - Operations in Goodyear, AZ
    Current Employee - Operations in Goodyear, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Banner Health is the future of Healthcare. Its process improvement methods are thoughtful and thorough. This 35,000 strong organization does all it can to hear the voice of the employee. While not perfect they strive to be industry leaders, with a "Patient's First" attitude.

Cons

Banner has had to streamline benefits due to declining reimbursement methodologies. One of the benefits that was important to me was tuition reimbursement. While it is still offered, it is no longer for every employee. It is rare that a non-Rn receives tuition reimbursement. Instead it is tied to the hospitals strategic initiatives, i.e. you must be a nurse pursuing your bachelors because in order to obtain magnet status a certain percentage of employed RNs must have bachelors.

Advice to Management

While RNs are important, support staff are as well. we deserve a chance to receive tuition reimbursement to help not only our careers but Banner Health as well.

7. Quality organization!

Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Systems Consultant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Large organization offers opportunities to move up/around. Once you get in, you can move cities or states to achieve the position you are seeking.

Cons

Unclear expectations from leadership. Moving people into a position they aren't ready to hold only sets them up for failure and creates confusion for new employees! PTO could be much better.

8. Data manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Banner Health

Pros

Great co-workers and environment of caring.

Cons

Not as easy to advance as I had hoped.

RN

Current Employee - Staff RN in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Staff RN in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers tend to be very nice and helpful, most of the time.

Cons

Poor management. Inadequate support staff and poor training for them. Extremely slow to respond to employee personal work needs. Management thinks that telling someone to stop doing something they don't like is "working with" the person. Banner does not tend to hire management from outside of the system, thus not bringing new ideas and knowledge into the mix. No support. Banner's goal is expanding its health care system. But while gaining new members, no increase of staff in corporate is made. Banner does not plan for the future staffing. When a person gives their notice, and not until that person has left, does the position go to review by a committee who decides if that position should be refilled. That process takes weeks-months. Then, if approved, it is posted. In the mean time, the team is left a person short and everyone's work load increases until a new person is hired and trained, which can take many months. And if their is someone who applies for it from within, even without the skill set needed to perform the position, that person is hired. Not a supportive atmosphere. Disorganization is rampant in the corporate offices. Inadequate pay. Poor pay raises. Human resources is no help. In fact, they impede the progress of some things happening in the department. This is not a positive place to work.

Advice to Management

Hire from the outside to bring new ideas, information, and innovation into the company. Provide professional support to staff. Use outside agencies to find RN's and support staff to fill positions, not just Banner Staffing Services. When working with a staff member on a problem, work with them, find out what's wrong, and talk to them. Don't just say "stop doing that" and say that is "working with" them. It's not. Hire more IT staff so that problems with computers and software and outages can be dealt with in a timely manner. And hire experienced IT staff to develop and repair software that can actually help the rest of the company operate smoothly. Hire more IT staff for the help line. A 20-30 minute wait to report an outage of a vital program is not acceptable.

10. Unit Assistant-Surgical

Current Employee - Unit Assitant-Surgical in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Unit Assitant-Surgical in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The co-workers are great! I love the people I work with inside the OR and even employees outside the OR are so friendly. It's a great place to work if you love the hospital setting. There are also corporate opportunities if you like that side of things.

Cons

Theres always cons to every workplace for different resons, for this specific job title I would say the con is that this job is so entry level. If you are looking for a foot in the door this is perfect! But the management is not the greatest unfortunately...

Advice to Management

Make sure whoever you hire to be a manager that they have actually done the job specifically so they understand what their employees do.

Almost, sort of average

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Corporate office is centrally located making it an easy commute. Benefits are less costly than my last employer.

Cons

Non-exempt employees (hourly) have to punch in and out, haven't had to do that in 20 years. PTO accruals (8 hours a pay period for new hires) include paid holidays, which means employees, specifically Corporate employees must budget for all national holidays like Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year as well the day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve ad New Year's Eve.

The department I work is in a constant state of chaos, there is no planning or process management. There is no time to do any kind of quality work, there is no elegance. Turn over is high.

It may be the non-profit nature of the business but there is a "cheapness" to the way Banner Health does business. Cheapest air fare, cheapest hotels, recycling supplies until they are thread bare or worn out. Cheapest everything.

Advice to Management

Loosen those purse strings. Pay attention to what other divisions are doing

RSS Feed </> Embed