Banner Health

Add Photos

Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine

Peter S. Fine

128 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working for better health care for people

Medical Assistant (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsHelp further education,help to keep a safe environment, help to find a suitable placement based on your experiences. Peasant environment to work in.

ConsUnable to find a quick and permanent position, I would have like to continue flowing from job to job. This experience didn't provide too much of difference of improving my life style, or persona growth with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more hope and faith with people like me.

Great Health Care - Probably the best hospitals in Arizona

HR Consultant (Former Employee)
    Mesa, AZ

ProsThe employees with direct patient care, who have their "feet on the floor" at any of Banner's 30 or so hospitals are almost universally awesome. They care about their patients, and as both a former patient and employee, it was amazing to see that the service they delivered far exceeded my expectations. I will also note that, despite the lack of pay increases and the fact that advancement is based solely on how many years you've worked for the company (which is nearly identical to archaic union-type rules; however, all Banner employees are non-unionized), "base" or introductory bay is quite fair, and in the nursing world, is probably above market pay compared to other cities.

ConsThe primary con is that that there's a complete disconnect between the hospitals and corporate management. For the most part, I mean that new corporate policies and rules are put in place by desk-dwellers at the corporate office (occasionally in conduction with the handful of higher level, "desk only" administrator-types at the hospitals). The policies or rules are almost universally designed to save money, and almost universally have a negative effect on employees (example: change from performance-based pay raises and bonuses, to a policy of no raises, or a maximum raise of 1% for the top person in each department). While base pay is pretty good, such practices certainly lower overall morale. It's a double-edged sword, though. The nurses and staff dealing every day with patients may be aggravated by such changes, but they still treat patients in exactly the same way. I'm not saying that they shouldn't, but the company acts as if it knows very well that the high moral fiber and ethics or the medical staff will not change, even if the company slowly takes away fringe benefits (lowering vacation days or PTO calculations), eliminates pay raises, and at times, disempowers employees from bringing forth ideas for real change and improvements. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the only way to increase your pay or get a promotion is to work for the company for a long time. They virtually instill this into the minds of each new hire, and you'll find many employees with "certificates" on their walls, stating that they have worked for the company for 5, or 10, or 15, or 20 years. This is highly reminiscent of unions and almost militaristic. The major downfall to this is that when a higher position opens up, the individual who applies and has the most "time in" with the company, is the person who gets the job. This can result in bizarre scenarios where a mid-manager in an area such as food management is promoted to a corporate desk job managing payroll or IT (without the person having any education or experience in that area).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running the non-profit health care system as if it's a publicly traded, for profit company, or acting as if the bottom line is everything. The company has always made money, yet it seems like the couple hundre (or perhaps 1,000 at most) desk-dwellers in the non-hospital HQ (95%+ of which have never dealt directly with patients) are completely out of touch with the "real" employees (the ~40,000 dedicated hands-on patient care employees at the hospitals.

A wealth of experience gained in cardiac/progressive care

Staff RN (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsSelf scheduling, great medical/dental benefits. Management is approachable. Company is very visionary and progressive and there are opportunuities for growth/advancement.

ConsA very strong corporate mentality, especially with tardiness( clock in 6 minutes late and you're considered tardy.) There are no rewards/incentives for how hard you work, only keeping your errors with charting and administering medications down. Clinical ladder very difficult to access-very certification focused depending on your area of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementNA

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Banner health ~ compassionate about people

Secretary (Current Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsI love being part of this great family. I feel great about those i am able to provide services too.

ConsMy position does not allow me to be more involved with patients, i wish i was

Advice to Senior ManagementInvolve staff that are not in management to be involved in decision making.

Banner Health

Social Worker (Current Employee)
    Mesa, AZ

ProsCompensation is very competitive and the company is managed very effectively. The agency encourages personal growth and physical/mental health.

ConsThe department management can make or break your experience working for Banner. The accrual of paid time off as a new employee is pretty low.

Great company

Director (Current Employee)
    Sun City, AZ

ProsIt is a Well structured company. Good benefits, time off policies. They do invest in training their employees

ConsBaner is a health care facility. They do not understand research. However, there are a lot of opportunities for growth in the health care career

Advice to Senior Managementmanagement needs to be more in touch with the employees

Job Security

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)
    Glendale, AZ

ProsGreat benefits, insurance with low cost and a lot of options

Conssmall raises but good base pay

A really good place to work

Patient Safety (Current Employee)
    Mesa, AZ

ProsProfessionalism- very caring group of people- treat employees very well.

ConsSome jobs are per diem

Advice to Senior ManagementSupply 1 meal to volunteers again

Senior Management is a Travesty

Senior Manager (Former Employee)
    Mesa, AZ

ProsGrowing health system, but getting too big for their britches too fast and not attending to compliance issues which are outstanding and attracting government entities

ConsSenior management that shows up a couple times a year including Peter Fine and act as if they are doing you a favor and are supportive when in actuality the idea of support is a fleeting thought at best. Truth be told Sr. Management doesn't have a clue. They rally around "DO as I say and not as I do" and spend more time in the office instead of on PTO. Learn how to answer email, the phones and not dodge the hard questions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn some people skills, tact and diplomacy. When you hire someone for their expertise listen to them and not disregard them. Stop hiring your buddies and hire people who know how to do the job correctly and compliantly it will keep the Feds the away.

Overall, good experience until the last two years.

Registered Nurse (Former Employee)
    Sun City West, AZ

ProsGood people. Supportive coworkers. Everyone helped each other to maintain excellent patient care. Fair benefits.

ConsUnrealistic patient to nurse/CNA ratios. Staff spread way too thin. High expectations and little support from upper management. Disorganized system flow. Often system changes made without input from the people working in the system, leading to fragmented, broken care systems. Crony management practices. Promoting friends in leadership roles as opposed to those who are most qualified to do the job. Layered management and administrative staff, making it almost impossible to take care of patients.

Advice to Senior ManagementCultivate managers that know and understand the peaks and flows within the network. New blood is good, but also value longtime employees; making access to career advancement for those who are willing and qualified to promote the necessary changes within the system to meet the new requirements under the Healthcare Portability Act AKA Obamacare. Listen to employees concerns and follow up immediately when system breaks impede patient care without blaming employees for these network breaks.

Worked for Banner Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banner Health reviews and ratings in Arizona — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Banner Health CEO Peter S. Fine. All 128 reviews posted anonymously by Banner Health employees.