Banner Health

Be The First To
Add Photos

Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine

Peter S. Fine

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, if you qualify for them"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Focus is on patient care and the future of Healthcare"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "patient care that, but it does not trickle down from direct care providers"
    in 14 reviews
  • "No tuition reimbursement available for continuing education"
    in 8 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bait and switch

Healthcare Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat staff, excellent IT, modern facilities

ConsGet used to hypocritical administration (compensation based on quality, but continues to be based on the number of patients seen). Commitment to work life balance, but continues to leave a 1:2 call coverage. "Innovation" actually means "repeat someone else's idea".

Advice to Senior ManagementSpending too much time on making nthe numbers look great at the expense of retention of good talent, will only get you so far...

I was told that I would get very far because I didn't know anyone or have allies.

IT Consultant (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than a year

ProsMedical industry is likely going to remain a profitable industry.

ConsNepotism and favoritism and based upon fear.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation and creativity can be found anywhere.

Pockets of great leaders..and great depts

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 3 years

Prosif you are good at building relationships, you can take on other projects out of your functional area to grow in experience and get into a different career--
There are some great people working here- and that depends on the facility and department

ConsLow pay
poor PTO policy
The pockets of poor leaders (senior management) can be challenging and career limiting...and instead of being dealt with...they are often whisked aside to another department where a new position is created....Sad. Sad. Sad. and speaks to how Banner leader and core behaviors are only applicable to lower levels of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't bite nose to spite face. Invest in proper systems and provide employees in support positions with the tools they need to do their job (recruitment, hr, etc). Banner can be cheap in the wrong ways.

The worst company I have ever worked for!

Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than a year

ProsThe stated culture and values sound terrific......to bad they are just word-speak and mean nothing.

ConsUpper management at Banner are scary people. They dump tons of responsibility on mid-managers and staff, won't listen to anything mid-management has to say, actually they don't even ask, they just play the blame game when things don't go as THEY planned.
Stating facts, such as, "We don't have enough equipment to support that initiative", is considered "negative input" and is not tolerated.
They only want to hear, "yes", even if "no" is the only sane honest response.
Other cons:
Salaried and 10-14 hour days were the norm, on-call every other week end from 7a Sat. until 7a Mon. (no monetary compensation or comp time) AND had to go in every other Sunday for a few hours to do tome cards! I didn't just quit....I escaped!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't hire people for their experience and then treat them like morons.
Facts based on real numbers, even if you don't like the numbers or the facts, are not necessarily negative, they can be a valuable tool when utilized rather than ignored.

all about money

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have worked there for 27 years in dietary. Great place to work at first. good benefits and really cared for their patients and employees made you feel involved and not so much negative and more positive.

ConsHave really gone from a place I loved to work from a place I hate to work. Cutting costs will not benefit them in the long run. Patient care is not what it should be and long term employees have left or are looking for other work.

Advice to Senior ManagementPatient care comes first. You should abide by this and quit taking shortcuts. All I have seen is cutting staff for patient care. No pat on the back for anything done good just negativity.

On the ball with health care reform

Manager (Former Employee)
Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBanner is big on wanting all employees to at least be aware of the business side of healthcare and explaining why they set priorities.

ConsI was able to excel in a small hospital (take on several leadership roles) but it was impossible to break into opportunities within the larger organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a hiring manager, I was frustrated dealing with the hiring process via the recruiters. It took months to get even a lower-level employee hired on. Now that I am no longer with Banner and would consider going back, I see the recruitment process from the candidate side. The recruiters are like a big brick wall and I think you are missing out on real talent just because a recruiter is looking for key words in a resume.

Landing a Core Position

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for less than a year

ProsBanner has many job opportunities no matter what your skill set is.

ConsIt takes patients and lots of networking to get a core job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork closer with staffing to fill vacant positions prior to looking outside the company.

Great place to start your career and learn valuable skills!!!

Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Health Benefits. Great co-workers who share a common goal to take care of PT's!

ConsNot the best Management. Good luck with PTO requests.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your 'worker bees' more. Take their input and run with it.

Good company to start a career.

Quality Specialist (Former Employee)

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can move up and around pretty easy.

Conscompinsation rules are pretty antiquated.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep preparing employees for the next level.

Great Company to work for!!!!

Phlebotomist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits and co-workers were great!

ConsSchedules were rough. Hard to get a set schedule!!

Worked for Banner Health? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banner Health reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Banner Health CEO Peter S. Fine. All 172 reviews posted anonymously by Banner Health employees.