Banner Health

Updated September 19, 2014
3.4

Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine
Peter S. Fine

Pros
  • multiple locations, large system, good benefits, good pay, opportunity for advancement (in 16 reviews)

• Everyone helped each other to maintain excellent patient care (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • patient care that, but it does not trickle down from direct care providers (in 15 reviews)

• High expectations and little support from upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

79 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Banner is a progressive company and a great place to work

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My work makes me feel like I can make a difference and the group I work with is very inspiring and encourages me to look at things differently. I have been able to see all sides of healthcare and never have had an opportunity to get bored with my job.

Cons

Healthcare is a challenging environment with all the changes and really no understanding on where it is headed makes it stressful at times.

Continue to keep people informed as changes occur

Was a good company in every way, and then turned into a horrible organization to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My journey led to great opportunities for advancement, an education, and excellent transfer opportunities. Over the course of over 13 years, I was able to advance from the lowest rank to the highest rank in my department. I loved my job until things changed for the worse.

Cons

Banner Health (BH) is in a difficult change with healthcare reform. I don't blame BH solely for what has happened to healthcare in general. However, the corporate executive team does not make cuts like they are demanding those that actually give care or do the hands-on work. For example, while I was being asked to reduce staff, the corporate executives were actually hiring more corporate executives at big salaries, and the CEO received a significant raise while we were being reduced down to fewer staff and supplies needed to do our jobs effectively, efficiently, and safely.

Take a closer look at the staff that actually makes a difference in people's lives and invest in them. Your reductions are having a significantly negative impact on employee morale and community confidence in you as a preferred healthcare organization. Stop hiring corporate executives and instead give back to those that helped you in a pinch, those of us that went a few years without raises, sacrificed equipment we desperately needed, and found creative ways to save you big sums of money. My team alone helped save you over $500,000 in less than 2 years, and all I got in return was an eliminated position. You used to be an organization that actually cared about your employees, one we used to love and were very loyal to, but now you are looking at ways to screw those that have stayed loyal to you and made huge sacrifices for many years. Shame on you for this, this is an example of corporate sell-out and greed, and I do not know how you sleep at night!

Overall Banner is an excellent place to work and I enjoy being part of the company.

Current Employee - RN Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - RN Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have the best benefits package (PTO, health, 401k) of any healthcare company that I have worked with in the past 20 years.
    Banner is very large so there are many opportunities for advancement.
    Banner has a VERY strong telecommute program.

Cons

Very little room for salary negotiation. - I was only able to successfully negotiate a higher salary on one instance (my initial hire). Since then I have had 4 promotions without successfully negotiating a higher salary.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome, great benefits, great customer service

Current Employee - Patient Financial Services  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Patient Financial Services in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co workers treat you like home, every one is nice

Cons

Schedule, some overnight shifts could be tough

None at the moment

Sr. Practice Manager or Slave?

Current Employee - Senior Practice Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Senior Practice Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful Providers who provide great patient care and try very hard to do everything they are asked just as we do but it seems it is never enough and we cannot take much more. Providers are leaving after just one year due to the demands and lack of direction.

Cons

Pretty much the "culture" is Shut Up and Do Your Job. The amount of pressure we are under is just tremendous and have little to no support. Practice Administrators and DIrectors are supposed to be there to assist and turn a deaf ear and blind eye. HR is the same--useless. My family is falling apart.

Treat people with respect. How much can one person take? You keep offloading your duties on to us and we just cannot tolerate the workload or pressure this puts on our personal lives. Banner talks about Work/Life balance but it is only talk. Greed.

My experience at Banner was very rewarding!

Former Employee - Medical Assistant  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the benefits with working with the company are growth within the company, tuition reimbursement, great benefits, and awesome people.

Cons

Leadership, contributing to different areas in the company and not being able to access or use of funds.

Be more friendly with staff and understand their positions and what is required of that position.

Working for better health care for people

Former Employee - Medical Assistant  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Help further education,help to keep a safe environment, help to find a suitable placement based on your experiences. Peasant environment to work in.

Cons

Unable to find a quick and permanent position, I would have like to continue flowing from job to job. This experience didn't provide too much of difference of improving my life style, or persona growth with the company.

Have more hope and faith with people like me.

A wealth of experience gained in cardiac/progressive care

Former Employee - Staff RN  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Self scheduling, great medical/dental benefits. Management is approachable. Company is very visionary and progressive and there are opportunuities for growth/advancement.

Cons

A very strong corporate mentality, especially with tardiness( clock in 6 minutes late and you're considered tardy.) There are no rewards/incentives for how hard you work, only keeping your errors with charting and administering medications down. Clinical ladder very difficult to access-very certification focused depending on your area of work.

NA

Banner health ~ compassionate about people

Current Employee - Secretary  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Secretary in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love being part of this great family. I feel great about those i am able to provide services too.

Cons

My position does not allow me to be more involved with patients, i wish i was

Involve staff that are not in management to be involved in decision making.

Top heavy, bureaucratic

Former Employee - Senior Director  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Excellent physicians
    Excellent nurses
    Strong peer relationships

Cons

Misalignment with corporate and facility needs
    Internal competition
    Inexperience or leadership immaturity at the executive level and director levels
    Poor pay
    Expensive benefits compared to other local healthcare companies
    Cut-throat and non-mentoring environment
    Constant change without adequate planning or support
    Staff is spread too thin

Notice when your employees and leaders are stressed. Conduct behavior in a manner that executives should.

Worked for Banner Health? Contribute to the Community!