Banner Health Reviews

Updated August 25, 2014

3.2

Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine
Peter S. Fine

Pros
  • multiple locations, large system, good benefits, good pay, opportunity for advancement (in 16 reviews)

• Everyone helped each other to maintain excellent patient care (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • patient care that, but it does not trickle down from direct care providers (in 15 reviews)

• High expectations and little support from upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working for this employer!

Current Employee - Information Specialist  in  Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Information Specialist in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are very flexible with work-life balance, they are fair and have self-scheduling

Cons

I would just like to be paid more, however everything else is great!

Awesome, great benefits, great customer service

Current Employee - Patient Financial Services  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Patient Financial Services in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co workers treat you like home, every one is nice

Cons

Schedule, some overnight shifts could be tough

None at the moment

My experience at Banner was very rewarding!

Former Employee - Medical Assistant  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the benefits with working with the company are growth within the company, tuition reimbursement, great benefits, and awesome people.

Cons

Leadership, contributing to different areas in the company and not being able to access or use of funds.

Be more friendly with staff and understand their positions and what is required of that position.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I've been a Banner employee for 15+ years. Great organization for the most part.

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Innovative and tries to stay ahead of the health care curve. Tries very hard to listen to their employees. Great facility leadership teams.

Cons

Top heavy...always adding a VP of something while facilities struggle with nurse/patient counts. It's more about what the facilities can do for the organization vs. the organization serving the facilities.

Watch for when a senior corporate leader has a mass exodus of their team...either leaving the organization or transferring. There seems to be a blind eye to when a corporate leader is not the right fit and rules like a dictator.

Overall Banner is an excellent place to work and I enjoy being part of the company.

Current Employee - RN Manager  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - RN Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They have the best benefits package (PTO, health, 401k) of any healthcare company that I have worked with in the past 20 years.
    Banner is very large so there are many opportunities for advancement.
    Banner has a VERY strong telecommute program.

Cons

Very little room for salary negotiation. - I was only able to successfully negotiate a higher salary on one instance (my initial hire). Since then I have had 4 promotions without successfully negotiating a higher salary.

Hard work

Former Employee - CNA  in  Sun City, AZ
    Former Employee - CNA in Sun City, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good organization
    Benefits
    Organization encourages healthy lifestyle
    Flexible schedules

Cons

Overwork staff especially the aids

Get rid of management bonuses

Great...ish.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Sun City, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Sun City, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities, encouragement to move up, plenty of recognition. awesome mission statement: "We exist to make a difference in people's lives through excellent patient care."

Cons

At least for me, lack of support from management.
    But this is the thing, Banner Health wants to be a leader in healthcare by 2020, but to do this, they need to continually change things. Every quarter there are changes, and it can range from small to big. you have to stay adaptable to work for banner. Good for them, but i can see it being frustrating for older nurses set in their ways. maybe that's their plan? hmm...

more support please. that's all i want.

Progressive Leadership

Former Employee - Manager  in  Worland, WY
    Former Employee - Manager in Worland, WY

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Banner Health is investing in the community -- adding the latest in technologies for patient care, upgrading the hospital facilities, raising the standards of healthcare in line with best practices anywhere, and providing the opportunities for healthcare staff to step up and do more for patients and their coworkers. The organization provides huge resources and promotes a strategic vision of the highest quality of care. Which is great for those who find purpose in constantly learning and working together with others in a common purpose of serving others.

Cons

As in any organization - there is a culture and a counter culture. And as in any small community - some people are not open to change and actively undermine those who are. Staff can be suspicious of management motives and resist any suggestion that there are better ways to do things. Tough choices by management may be misinterpreted as mean or malicious - making it difficult to work together with a shared vision and ethic.

Stay the course. What matters most is who we serve and how we serve them - how we anticipate their needs and how we work together to deliver the very best of care. Sometimes that might mean there are conflicting interests - it may not be convenient or comfortable for staff to adapt to changes in practice or to adjust their personal time to work when they are needed. Keep the patient and community needs first and be consistent in holding staff accountable to this vision and purpose.

Promises. Promises

Current Employee - Senior Coder  in  Loveland, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Coder in Loveland, CO

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I still get to work with my doctors since we joined BMG.

Cons

Promises of an Anesthesia module for two years now has never come to fruition. This is putting us at risk but Sr. Management doesn't seem to care about that or the extra work for the people doing the job. Inability to attend educational seminars and conferences is also a problem since the rules change frequently and we need to keep up with them or pay potential penalities. There is no one in management that understands anesthesia so we are on our own.

Pay attention. You have been told many times this is an area of focus with OIG. We don't want to be the fall guys if something goes wrong or OIOG/DOJ investigates. We've seen what happens and how you handle things and it doesn't make me proud to say I work for BMG.

Patient Financial Rep.

Current Employee - Patient Accounts Representative  in  Sterling, CO
    Current Employee - Patient Accounts Representative in Sterling, CO

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly people once they accepted me.

Cons

Small town gossip and computer systems are horrible.

Do not let others opinions of your job have you neglect your job duties. If there is a problem fix it and do not hessitate. There are plenty of people who want to work, why keep the ones who make it hard.

Worked for Banner Health? Contribute to the Community!