Banner Health

Be The First To
Add Photos

Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine

Peter S. Fine

Pros
  • multiple locations, large system, good benefits, good pay, opportunity for advancement (in 16 reviews)

• Everyone helped each other to maintain excellent patient care (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • patient care that, but it does not trickle down from direct care providers (in 15 reviews)

• High expectations and little support from upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall Banner is an excellent place to work and I enjoy being part of the company.

RN Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsThey have the best benefits package (PTO, health, 401k) of any healthcare company that I have worked with in the past 20 years.
    Banner is very large so there are many opportunities for advancement.
    Banner has a VERY strong telecommute program.

ConsVery little room for salary negotiation. - I was only able to successfully negotiate a higher salary on one instance (my initial hire). Since then I have had 4 promotions without successfully negotiating a higher salary.

Hard work

CNA (Former Employee) Sun City, AZ

ProsGood organization
    Benefits
    Organization encourages healthy lifestyle
    Flexible schedules

ConsOverwork staff especially the aids

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of management bonuses

Progressive Leadership

Manager (Former Employee) Worland, WY

ProsBanner Health is investing in the community -- adding the latest in technologies for patient care, upgrading the hospital facilities, raising the standards of healthcare in line with best practices anywhere, and providing the opportunities for healthcare staff to step up and do more for patients and their coworkers. The organization provides huge resources and promotes a strategic vision of the highest quality of care. Which is great for those who find purpose in constantly learning and working together with others in a common purpose of serving others.

ConsAs in any organization - there is a culture and a counter culture. And as in any small community - some people are not open to change and actively undermine those who are. Staff can be suspicious of management motives and resist any suggestion that there are better ways to do things. Tough choices by management may be misinterpreted as mean or malicious - making it difficult to work together with a shared vision and ethic.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course. What matters most is who we serve and how we serve them - how we anticipate their needs and how we work together to deliver the very best of care. Sometimes that might mean there are conflicting interests - it may not be convenient or comfortable for staff to adapt to changes in practice or to adjust their personal time to work when they are needed. Keep the patient and community needs first and be consistent in holding staff accountable to this vision and purpose.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Patient Financial Rep.

Patient Accounts Representative (Current Employee) Sterling, CO

ProsFriendly people once they accepted me.

ConsSmall town gossip and computer systems are horrible.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not let others opinions of your job have you neglect your job duties. If there is a problem fix it and do not hessitate. There are plenty of people who want to work, why keep the ones who make it hard.

Great...ish.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Sun City, AZ

ProsGreat opportunities, encouragement to move up, plenty of recognition. awesome mission statement: "We exist to make a difference in people's lives through excellent patient care."

ConsAt least for me, lack of support from management.
    But this is the thing, Banner Health wants to be a leader in healthcare by 2020, but to do this, they need to continually change things. Every quarter there are changes, and it can range from small to big. you have to stay adaptable to work for banner. Good for them, but i can see it being frustrating for older nurses set in their ways. maybe that's their plan? hmm...

Advice to Senior Managementmore support please. that's all i want.

neutral

ProsGreat medical and dental benefits, 401k with 4% company match after 1st yr

Consonly 10% of applicant are selected for tuition reimbursement, lower end pay

Working for better health care for people

Medical Assistant (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsHelp further education,help to keep a safe environment, help to find a suitable placement based on your experiences. Peasant environment to work in.

ConsUnable to find a quick and permanent position, I would have like to continue flowing from job to job. This experience didn't provide too much of difference of improving my life style, or persona growth with the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more hope and faith with people like me.

Missed Potential

Physician - Clinical Provider (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsFair Salary; opportunities exist for promotion if you can get past the politics; facilities are nice.

ConsBogged down in politics; sluggish HR processes-took several months to complete interview and paperwork and actually begin working many others had similar stories; some very unprofessional behavior among highly educated medical staff- but they get away with it; problems working between departments- work processes are anything but seamless and this causes problems on a daily basis. Medical occupations are inherently demanding and stressful- but the bulk of the stress comes from workplace and staff problems rather than the stress of practicing medicine. Waste due to politics, workplace and procedural issues was rampant-there is a "that's just the way it is" mentality; "watch your back" is common advice amongst the staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart with an exit interview with someone other than the employee's manager- you'll find out what actually goes on inside the various departments

Sorry to say but was an unexpected experience.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe good think about working there is the employees. Good people. The management is the problem.

ConsThe challenge is to get someone to show you what to do.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to take the time to train people not just place them on a desk and expect them to learn on there own. They need one instructor.

Great Health Care - Probably the best hospitals in Arizona

HR Consultant (Former Employee) Mesa, AZ

ProsThe employees with direct patient care, who have their "feet on the floor" at any of Banner's 30 or so hospitals are almost universally awesome. They care about their patients, and as both a former patient and employee, it was amazing to see that the service they delivered far exceeded my expectations. I will also note that, despite the lack of pay increases and the fact that advancement is based solely on how many years you've worked for the company (which is nearly identical to archaic union-type rules; however, all Banner employees are non-unionized), "base" or introductory bay is quite fair, and in the nursing world, is probably above market pay compared to other cities.

ConsThe primary con is that that there's a complete disconnect between the hospitals and corporate management. For the most part, I mean that new corporate policies and rules are put in place by desk-dwellers at the corporate office (occasionally in conduction with the handful of higher level, "desk only" administrator-types at the hospitals). The policies or rules are almost universally designed to save money, and almost universally have a negative effect on employees (example: change from performance-based pay raises and bonuses, to a policy of no raises, or a maximum raise of 1% for the top person in each department). While base pay is pretty good, such practices certainly lower overall morale. It's a double-edged sword, though. The nurses and staff dealing every day with patients may be aggravated by such changes, but they still treat patients in exactly the same way. I'm not saying that they shouldn't, but the company acts as if it knows very well that the high moral fiber and ethics or the medical staff will not change, even if the company slowly takes away fringe benefits (lowering vacation days or PTO calculations), eliminates pay raises, and at times, disempowers employees from bringing forth ideas for real change and improvements. Also, as I mentioned earlier, the only way to increase your pay or get a promotion is to work for the company for a long time. They virtually instill this into the minds of each new hire, and you'll find many employees with "certificates" on their walls, stating that they have worked for the company for 5, or 10, or 15, or 20 years. This is highly reminiscent of unions and almost militaristic. The major downfall to this is that when a higher position opens up, the individual who applies and has the most "time in" with the company, is the person who gets the job. This can result in bizarre scenarios where a mid-manager in an area such as food management is promoted to a corporate desk job managing payroll or IT (without the person having any education or experience in that area).

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running the non-profit health care system as if it's a publicly traded, for profit company, or acting as if the bottom line is everything. The company has always made money, yet it seems like the couple hundre (or perhaps 1,000 at most) desk-dwellers in the non-hospital HQ (95%+ of which have never dealt directly with patients) are completely out of touch with the "real" employees (the ~40,000 dedicated hands-on patient care employees at the hospitals.

Worked for Banner Health? Contribute to the Community!