Banner Health

Updated October 15, 2014
3.2

Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine
Peter S. Fine

Pros
  • multiple locations, large system, good benefits, good pay, opportunity for advancement (in 17 reviews)

• Everyone helped each other to maintain excellent patient care (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • patient care that, but it does not trickle down from direct care providers (in 16 reviews)

• High expectations and little support from upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Banner is a progressive company and a great place to work

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My work makes me feel like I can make a difference and the group I work with is very inspiring and encourages me to look at things differently. I have been able to see all sides of healthcare and never have had an opportunity to get bored with my job.

Cons

Healthcare is a challenging environment with all the changes and really no understanding on where it is headed makes it stressful at times.

Continue to keep people informed as changes occur

Corporate Lacks Insight

Former Employee - Senior AA in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior AA in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Its a job with a "non-profit" in ever changing healthcare.

Cons

Executive members of staff have large egos and little respect. No leadership platform.

Lead don't dictate. Let people do the job. Communicate don't manipulate.

Poor management

Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Greeley, CO
    Former Employee - Medical Technologist in Greeley, CO

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Salary was all I miss. Very poor management.

Cons

Poor management, favoring of outgoing and chatty people. Quiet yet very hardworking people will not exceed standards. Management in the laboratory I worked in did not enforce rules fairly or evenly. Chronically late employees were able to exceed standards if they were popular.

Okay but still more interested in the bottom dollar than anything else

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working when I felt like a part of the team

Cons

Banner has focused more upon cutting costs and using the workforce without regard for life work balance

Spending all of my 16 year career with Banner Health has helped me to create a strong foundation to grow from

Current Employee - RN Manager in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - RN Manager in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Even though Banner is a large organization with several employees you still feel welcomed and a part of this healthcare family right away. For the most part the growth of this company has created a positive impact on the health and well-being of the community it serves. This company has great values and a strong foundation in which any nurse can grow both personally and professionally and advance their nursing practice.

Cons

With the increasing acuity and higher census, patients are becoming more and more difficult to take care of. The turnover rates as a whole are increasing due to nurses getting overworked, underappreciated and burnt out. There is a also large push for higher education, yet the compensation for tuition is minimal and often difficult to obtain.

Organized and professional

I have been working at Banner Health as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Professional and cohesiveness amongst all disciplines

Cons

Wages could be more comparable

Love Banner Thunderbird

Do not work for this "non-profit"

Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Peoria, AZ
    Former Employee - Medical Assistant in Peoria, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Helping patients at the worst time of their lives.

Cons

In a high stress environment, the nursing staff and physicians make a bad situation worse. The pay was awful, and my yearly wage actually went down after we were bought out by Banner.

Pay employees what they're worth and you won't have so much young turnover.

Work Life Balance? Surely you jest!

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Many very nice people who are very pleasant and great to work with from a direct care perspective. We enjoyed a temawork mentality. We had to or the patients would suffer and that is not supposed to happen in healthcare.

Cons

Patient care takes a backseat to monetary gain. Staff is overworked, underpaid and then "coached" for having attitude or tone? We are pushed to the limit. We are trying to take care of our patients. We want to do the right thing and give great care, but we do not have the tools to do our job nor do we have the support.

Instead of being top heavy with Directors to help other Directors go on PTO more often, why not use some of that money to staff the areas that really need it. Better staffing leads to better patient care and isn't that what healthcare is supposed to be all about?

No compassion, leadership not interested in employees, just another cog

Former Employee - Registered Nurse ICU in Glendale, AZ
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse ICU in Glendale, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There were a few employees that support each other, locations close to home. Free parking, sometimes covered.

Cons

There are many managers, but no leaders. You are not values as an employee. The management values gossip and undying loyalty, and inflated ego's. There is no culture of professionalism, no compassion from managers. You are just another piece of equipment to them. If they can get someone else cheaper, they will. There is no concern for employee safety, and if you get injured on the job, it is automatically your fault. No way would I work there with the Ebola virus scare, as they dismiss you for being sick or injured.

Why would you promote a nurse to a "leadership" role with only an associates degree, and skip the nurse that has a masters degree in nursing and an MBA? The only reason is that you want to be surrounded by your friends, and not educated professionals.

Was a good company in every way, and then turned into a horrible organization to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My journey led to great opportunities for advancement, an education, and excellent transfer opportunities. Over the course of over 13 years, I was able to advance from the lowest rank to the highest rank in my department. I loved my job until things changed for the worse.

Cons

Banner Health (BH) is in a difficult change with healthcare reform. I don't blame BH solely for what has happened to healthcare in general. However, the corporate executive team does not make cuts like they are demanding those that actually give care or do the hands-on work. For example, while I was being asked to reduce staff, the corporate executives were actually hiring more corporate executives at big salaries, and the CEO received a significant raise while we were being reduced down to fewer staff and supplies needed to do our jobs effectively, efficiently, and safely.

Take a closer look at the staff that actually makes a difference in people's lives and invest in them. Your reductions are having a significantly negative impact on employee morale and community confidence in you as a preferred healthcare organization. Stop hiring corporate executives and instead give back to those that helped you in a pinch, those of us that went a few years without raises, sacrificed equipment we desperately needed, and found creative ways to save you big sums of money. My team alone helped save you over $500,000 in less than 2 years, and all I got in return was an eliminated position. You used to be an organization that actually cared about your employees, one we used to love and were very loyal to, but now you are looking at ways to screw those that have stayed loyal to you and made huge sacrifices for many years. Shame on you for this, this is an example of corporate sell-out and greed, and I do not know how you sleep at night!