Banner Health

Updated September 20, 2014
3.3

Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine
Peter S. Fine

Pros
  • multiple locations, large system, good benefits, good pay, opportunity for advancement (in 17 reviews)

• Everyone helped each other to maintain excellent patient care (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • patient care that, but it does not trickle down from direct care providers (in 15 reviews)

• High expectations and little support from upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Banner is a progressive company and a great place to work

Current Employee - Process Engineer  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My work makes me feel like I can make a difference and the group I work with is very inspiring and encourages me to look at things differently. I have been able to see all sides of healthcare and never have had an opportunity to get bored with my job.

Cons

Healthcare is a challenging environment with all the changes and really no understanding on where it is headed makes it stressful at times.

Continue to keep people informed as changes occur

Spending all of my 16 year career with Banner Health has helped me to create a strong foundation to grow from

Current Employee - RN Manager  in  Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - RN Manager in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Even though Banner is a large organization with several employees you still feel welcomed and a part of this healthcare family right away. For the most part the growth of this company has created a positive impact on the health and well-being of the community it serves. This company has great values and a strong foundation in which any nurse can grow both personally and professionally and advance their nursing practice.

Cons

With the increasing acuity and higher census, patients are becoming more and more difficult to take care of. The turnover rates as a whole are increasing due to nurses getting overworked, underappreciated and burnt out. There is a also large push for higher education, yet the compensation for tuition is minimal and often difficult to obtain.

Organized and professional

I have been working at Banner Health as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Professional and cohesiveness amongst all disciplines

Cons

Wages could be more comparable

Love Banner Thunderbird

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Was a good company in every way, and then turned into a horrible organization to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

My journey led to great opportunities for advancement, an education, and excellent transfer opportunities. Over the course of over 13 years, I was able to advance from the lowest rank to the highest rank in my department. I loved my job until things changed for the worse.

Cons

Banner Health (BH) is in a difficult change with healthcare reform. I don't blame BH solely for what has happened to healthcare in general. However, the corporate executive team does not make cuts like they are demanding those that actually give care or do the hands-on work. For example, while I was being asked to reduce staff, the corporate executives were actually hiring more corporate executives at big salaries, and the CEO received a significant raise while we were being reduced down to fewer staff and supplies needed to do our jobs effectively, efficiently, and safely.

Take a closer look at the staff that actually makes a difference in people's lives and invest in them. Your reductions are having a significantly negative impact on employee morale and community confidence in you as a preferred healthcare organization. Stop hiring corporate executives and instead give back to those that helped you in a pinch, those of us that went a few years without raises, sacrificed equipment we desperately needed, and found creative ways to save you big sums of money. My team alone helped save you over $500,000 in less than 2 years, and all I got in return was an eliminated position. You used to be an organization that actually cared about your employees, one we used to love and were very loyal to, but now you are looking at ways to screw those that have stayed loyal to you and made huge sacrifices for many years. Shame on you for this, this is an example of corporate sell-out and greed, and I do not know how you sleep at night!

Nurse Staffing Services

Current Employee - RN, Prn  in  Greeley, CO
    Current Employee - RN, Prn in Greeley, CO

I have been working at Banner Health for more than a year

Pros

Many friendly people depending where you work and quite a few employees that have worked for Banner for years. Working prn is nice for life balance and staffing department employees are helpful. Good orientation and most employees willing to work together and help each other if needed. Computer systems are user friendly. Good communication by most and generally a very good work culture. Clean, well maintained facilities and you have the supplies you need to do your job.

Cons

There arent always prn shifts to fill. Friendly to your face personality types stick out and unfortunately most of them have a position where they are in charge or have authority over others. There's a lot of competition for a few job openings so you better like staying where you are. If you do get a regular job, its likely a lateral move, except for the hours. Degrees and certifications are everything so forget about your experience- just keep your pocketbook out and forget about any life you thought you had outside of school.

it wasnt as comfortable to work for the company after they took over sun health. always looking over your shoulder

Former Employee - Staff RN  in  Sun City West, AZ
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Sun City West, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

good benefits. excellent short term disability. good teaching capibilites

Cons

patient to nurse ratio was not good pt much sicker on the general floors. not enough nursing assistants to help care for the pts . The mean age was 70 to 80.

listen to the nurses.

Pockets of toxicity. Pockets of great leadership. Security. Low low salaries

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Telecommuting. Security. Opportunity to work on different teams outside discipline if leader is mature

Cons

Hard to advance. Toxic is the norm. Corp HR not neutral. Lower than average salaries

Fix above

I love working for this employer!

Current Employee - Information Specialist  in  Glendale, AZ
    Current Employee - Information Specialist in Glendale, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for less than a year

Pros

They are very flexible with work-life balance, they are fair and have self-scheduling

Cons

I would just like to be paid more, however everything else is great!

Awesome, great benefits, great customer service

Current Employee - Patient Financial Services  in  Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Patient Financial Services in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health part-time for more than a year

Pros

Co workers treat you like home, every one is nice

Cons

Schedule, some overnight shifts could be tough

None at the moment

American Greed

Current Employee - HIMS Senior Manager  in  Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - HIMS Senior Manager in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Many people in the same boat. Need a job and Banner is the largest employer in the area. DOL should investigte the hours they make some people work who are "salary" so they do not get OT compared to Sr. Management who is always on PTO and does little to nothing.

Cons

No support or respect. Long hours, so so pay, benefits are high, copays and out of pocket are high and yearly merit raises are a joke. Try and get more than "satisfactory" if you are not Director level or above. It is truly sad.

Try coming to work and doing something such as supporting your people or pitching in on the backlog. We cannot help it if patients do not have computers to provide email addresses. Much of our population is older. Yet you tell us we have failed? Nice way to build morale. It might be worth moving to get a real job with people who care.

Worked for Banner Health? Contribute to the Community!