Banner Health

Updated March 1, 2015
3.1

Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine
Peter S. Fine

Pros
  • multiple locations, large system, good benefits, good pay, opportunity for advancement (in 17 reviews)

• Everyone helped each other to maintain excellent patient care (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • patient care that, but it does not trickle down from direct care providers (in 17 reviews)

• Quality of life is virtually non-existent, though upper management seems to enjoy it (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

Foward thunking innovative

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Forward thinking and innovative Very supply conscious always looking ways to make processes and systems better

Cons

Very supply conscious always looking for ways to make processes and systems better

Rn

Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Casa Grande, AZ
    Current Employee - RN Staff Nurse in Casa Grande, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Nation wide corporation in different states

Cons

Pay scales and different hospitalist that rotate

Hands down a great place to work for, I wish they were in Texas I would still be working for them

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits, non-profit Hospital, yes there definitely a difference !!

Cons

Each department takes care of their own and if you upset one of them then you are force to apologize even if you were not the one at fault

They have a growing monopoly on Arizona

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Large corporations, lots of policies, and less of the good-ole-boys' club atmosphere.

Cons

Because they own so much of the medical field in AZ, they get to set the wages. Unfortunately, they don't pay as well as other hospital systems and if you transfer from one hospital/floor/department to another and remain a "floor nurse" it's considered a lateral transfer and your pay remains the same.

Great Experience

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health

Pros

Banner offers a very positive environment to work. As a nurse, the managers are determined to get me the type of assignments I need to improve my skills and grow as a critical care nurse. They frequently take time to ask me how I am liking my position and what my needs are. They encourage each nurse to get certified in their specialty.

The company itself has great values and actually demonstrates these values with action. The CNO actually enjoys working as a staff nurse occasionally and encourages anyone to call her on her cell for any pertinent reason. It's great to see her enthusiasm.

Cons

The only negative, many of my co-workers do have trouble getting the time off they desire. The policies for doing so need some work. However, I'm sure each unit is a little different.

My advice pertains to training. The unit specific training involved simulation training. It had such potential to be used as an amazing resource, but was quite a waste of time. I was excited to actually learn something, practice codes, practice procedures I have not done before, but we did very basic skills instead and quite lazily too.

Good place to work

I have been working at Banner Health full-time

Pros

You get to work on some of the cutting edge research projects that will impact the lives of many down the line

Cons

Not a lot of opportunities to grow and advance in your career and pay is less than the market average

Provide opportunists for the current employees to grow and advance in their careers. Reconsider the pay scale.

it has its moments

Current Employee - ER Tech in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - ER Tech in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health part-time (less than a year)

Pros

nice people to work with

Cons

not allowed to work any where near your scope of practice

allow your employees to work within in their scope they have a lot of training and its being wasted

Banner has become increasingly bureaucratic and profit focused.

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Banner is a large, stable healthcare system. As such, they offer great educational opportunities and provide great patient care.

Cons

New evaluation system discourages managers from recognizing top performers. Directors in various departments have been instructed that they cannot give employees greater than "meets expectations" on annual evaluations. One of the Colorado facilities recently won Healthgrades Top 50 Hospitals award, which ranks it in the top 1% of the country. Yet, the employees who helped accomplish this are apparently not exceeding expectations in any way. And the bonuses have been discontinued. It's all about the profit and everyone is expendable.

Appreciate the employees' efforts and recognize the hard work that they do when it's evaluation time. Even a rating of exceeds expectations doesn't give anyone a high enough raise to keep up with the cost of living.

so so

I worked at Banner Health part-time (more than a year)

Pros

pleanty of autonomy and interdiciplinary.

Cons

politics are conservative and i noticed several occassions of discrimination. I was told my lip gloss was "too sexy" even though older, less attractive women were wearing the same amount of make-up (which was minimal might i add) and color of lip gloss (or even lip stick) but were not told to stop wearing it. young people, including male security guards, seemed to be disrespected often and forced to abide by hr policies from the 1970's that nobody was enforcing on the older employees.

practice what you preach

Working in Banner IT

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health

Pros

Work From Home, Health Benefits

Cons

Management thinks agile means unorganized and fast paced.

Understand that fast does not equate to good. Developing quality can take a little longer but well worth it in the long run. Need to step back and really ensure we are doing everything right and not fast.