Banner Health

Updated October 30, 2014
3.2

Banner Health President and CEO Peter S. Fine
Peter S. Fine

Pros
  • multiple locations, large system, good benefits, good pay, opportunity for advancement (in 17 reviews)

• Everyone helped each other to maintain excellent patient care (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • patient care that, but it does not trickle down from direct care providers (in 16 reviews)

• High expectations and little support from upper management (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

In the right setting, a great place to work.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse ICU in Sun City, AZ
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse ICU in Sun City, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many resources and practice evidence-based medicine.

Cons

Constant change in EMR and operating systems. Many layers of management.

Great company

I have been working at Banner Health

Pros

Benefits, pay, great education/ceu offers

Cons

Monopoly in az. Management is not involved..

Great Environment at one of Banner's Critical Access Hospitals

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* I worked at one of Banner Health's critical access hospitals and the hospital's executive management was very supportive of staff and took a particular interest in mentoring the leadership team on how to manage employees better, be proactive, and build teams that work cohesively.
    * The culture was very positive and employees were valued and acknowledged frequently for their good work.
    * There was a true spirit of teamwork among hospital employees; everyone worked together and handled crises together. The saying, "That's not in my job description," was just not part of the culture there.
    * The hospital worked hard to partner with the community and give back.
    * As a non-profit, the hospital truly did put patients first, and I saw firsthand on many occasions that leadership valued the patients' well-being over the dollar.
    * Physicians and clinical staff were continually working on improving themselves, not only in terms of learning skills and new technology, but also regarding communication with patients. In fact, patients were asked to share their experiences, and that information is used monthly to measure performance and set goals for improvement.

Cons

* Bureaucracy! It was a fairly typical corporate environment in which the Phoenix headquarters and then the regional headquarters control everything from spending to posting open positions, etc. Everything must be justified to Corporate and approval must be given before the hospitals can spend money, hire, etc. This process is quite slow at Banner and causes delays which sometimes negatively impact the hospital itself. For instance, if someone resigns, it can take weeks to get approval to post that position, even though the position itself is already in the budget for the year. In the meantime, employees are left shouldering the additional workload while the process drags on.
    * Corporate leadership was not frequently on the same page as the hospital leadership; it was challenging for the hospital leaders to to address issues/concerns which were not of a high priority on the corporate level. Although Banner Health has clearly delineated core values, those values were not always expressed between the micro and macro levels.
    * Many employees who are exempt were willing to put in additional hours to get the job done, however I saw this taken to the extreme in several cases. Rather than letting those employees burn out, please re-evaluate their workload and invest in part-time help, etc. as needed.

The cohesion of the Executive Leadership (C-Suite) on-site is essential to the functioning of the hospital. Please invest the time and resources to hire the right personnel in those positions, take employees' feedback into account when evaluating those leaders' performance, and make they "fit" with Banner's culture. It's really a huge disruptor when the team does not functioning smoothly.

This place was the worse job I've EVER had.

Former Employee - Staff RN in Gilbert, AZ
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Gilbert, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nice facility and good location.

Cons

I was a RN at Banner Gateway Medical Center in Gilbert. Terrible, lazy, and incompetent nurse managers. They have way to many nurse managers to run one unit which I don't understand. The patient care is terrible and it did not matter how many incident reports I filled out, they were never addressed. I was rarely able to get an uninterrupted lunch break if I got one at all for the entire 12 hour shift!

Please evaluate how effective it is to have as many managers there are for one unit. It seems there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians.

Top heavy, bureaucratic

Former Employee - Senior Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent physicians
    Excellent nurses
    Strong peer relationships

Cons

Misalignment with corporate and facility needs
    Internal competition
    Inexperience or leadership immaturity at the executive level and director levels
    Poor pay
    Expensive benefits compared to other local healthcare companies
    Cut-throat and non-mentoring environment
    Constant change without adequate planning or support
    Staff is spread too thin

Notice when your employees and leaders are stressed. Conduct behavior in a manner that executives should.

Manager/analyst

I worked at Banner Health

Pros

Good training program, good benefits

Cons

Department seemed to lack direction.

focus more on strategy for employee engagement

On an endless track to nowhere...

Former Employee - Specimen Processing Technician
    Former Employee - Specimen Processing Technician

I worked at Banner Health full-time

Pros

A stable company within Arizona. Benefits are actually pretty decent.

Cons

Not much opportunity for growth. Didn't receive any raises in almost 2 years at the company.

Consider giving the employees more say and make your profit sharing demands somewhat attainable

Many opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Pca in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Pca in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

management is approachable, lots of room for career growth, company supports students by various educational reimbursements, most of coworkers are helpful and friendly.

Cons

short staffed at times, medical benefits takes a huge chunk of your check, not that many male coworkers to balance the estrogen!

awesome company

Former Employee - Staff RN in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Staff RN in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Banner Health full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- seem to care about their staff, lots of opportunities to learn and grow, once you are an employee it is easy to move around, great co workers

Cons

its healthcare- every hc company has the same problems- staffing issues, seems like as a nurse you are always being asked to do more and more- but that is just how it is at any hospital

This is the most unprofessional environment I have ever seen

Current Employee - Hospital Security in Mesa, AZ
    Current Employee - Hospital Security in Mesa, AZ

I have been working at Banner Health full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Medical Benefits, and internal team work with the nursing staff

Cons

1. unless you are nursing staff your expendable
    2. its the worst "old boy" network I have ever seen
    3. Money is mediocre at best
    4. Unless your part of the in group; your not getting promoted

scrap your mentality of security, and get some professionals to fix this system.