Baptist Health (Kentucky)

Updated December 8, 2014
Updated December 8, 2014
3.6

Tommy J. Smith

Great people, great mission, but high stress and demands.

Current Employee - Accountant in Corbin, KY
    Current Employee - Accountant in Corbin, KY

I have been working at Baptist Health (Kentucky) full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company has a great mission and Christian values. And the employees all share the same mission and values. There are other benefits such as discounted fitness membership, good health insurance if used within the company network, etc.

Cons

Working in healthcare is always a high stress environment. I work in the Finance sector which has a lot of corporate demands, short deadlines, and unrealistic workloads. I work many more hours than I am compensated for (I am salaried).

Try not to let your stress trickle down to your subordinates. It is really hard to work under a manager who is always stressed out and under a lot of pressure. Always remember that you and your coworkers need a work/life balance.

Great patient care but no advancement

Former Employee - RN in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - RN in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Baptist Health (Kentucky) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are great and or care excellent

Cons

mgmt only recruits buddies family or friends to move up the career ladder .
    Mgmt not consistent in applying punitive action to all in dept .
    Drs run the hospital and aren't employed by hospital and never listen to the nurses

Promote hard work , dedication and experience rather than your sister your friends or classmates from high school

Good Company to work for

Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Patient Access Representative in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Baptist Health (Kentucky) part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They offer great benefits. There is a family atmosphere. The pay is fair for the position. There is a clinic on site for employees who get sick so we don't have to make a doctor's appointment. There is also a pharmacy that we can pick up our medication from.

Cons

Understaffed. Sometimes the hospital can become super busy and we do not have enough staff to adequately serve the customers leading to the current employees being overworked.

Staff hospital properly.

Company reorganization is a mess

Former Employee - Patient Services in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Patient Services in Louisville, KY

I worked at Baptist Health (Kentucky) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Originally when I first started several years ago the company was great. Benefits are good (healthcare), not PTO. Employees still strive for a better work environment.

Cons

Under staffing. A company wide system change took place within all hospitals and a lot of employees and departments were umbrella under new directors. This is where the company failed us employees. We ran so thin that we were never able to complete or catch up on work duties. Patients were angry over wait times, but we just have to apologize and smile knowing we need more employees but incompetent directors just say NO! another example, how can the scheduling department schedule an average of 400-500 appointments if the is only 9 of them.. NINE.. so if you ever wonder why it's impossible to get anyone on the phone is because of the director saying, "oh, you can handle it" if enough complaints come in then there is the occasional you can hire a couple Temps part-time. This is what this company is going to. They can employee young professionals and give them benefits. Just Temps that get inadequate training because of work loads and excuses. Please, I encourage the patients to voice their opinions to management and most importantly the hospital president and maybe something will get done. Keep in mind, the Temps that get hired have poor training and are handling your PERSONAL HEALTH INFORMATION. who's to say they aren't more likely to make a mistake.

Hire more employees and provide adequate training they deserve as a Baptist employee.

Turn for the Worst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Baptist Health (Kentucky) full-time

Pros

Relaxed work environment and many of the people are great to work with. Work-life balance has been easily achieved while working here.

Cons

"Power" cliques and good 'ol boy buddy system are a big reason why Baptist IT is a place to stay away from.
    No career path or coaching are present and Gnosticism is rampant despite plausible deniability.

Beware of the cliques and hypocrisy in upper IT management. This needs to be addressed badly before top talent should be expected to stay.

They value the educational growth of their employees. Best hospital to work at in Louisville area.

Current Employee - Staff Nurse RN, BSN in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse RN, BSN in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Baptist Health (Kentucky) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay rate comparatively to other area's hospitals.
    Facility is up-to-date in technology that eases the stress on nursing and support staff.
    Experienced doctors and surgeons.
    Managers allow staff to self-schedule and approve overtime if you want to make extra $$

Cons

Kentucky is just a poorly paid state for nurses r/t not having a nursing union.

Hire more employees so you don't have to overspend on agency staffing

Very good Employer

I have been working at Baptist Health (Kentucky) full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Benefits and Good Benefits

Cons

PTO accrual does not accrue timely

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Therapy in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Therapy in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Baptist Health (Kentucky) full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Upper level management was very supportive and well run. They were invested in your success which aided their success. They value their employees and the company has many accreditations.

Cons

The head of my department was detached and didn't seem interested in any of the daily ongoings in the department unless they made her look great, or made her look bad. She wasonly interesred in her own image.

In the position I was in there was no opportunity for advancement. However, I did learn a ton fro other healthcare providers I interacted with. Benefits were good, and the company had high values.

wonderful place to work have abacus for all instrument

Current Employee - SPD Tech in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - SPD Tech in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Baptist Health (Kentucky) full-time

Pros

Employees are kind and helpful

Cons

low pay,with 1% yearly increment for being an asset for the company

very small

A good company to work for.

Former Employee - AICU Staff RN in Jackson, MS
    Former Employee - AICU Staff RN in Jackson, MS

I worked at Baptist Health (Kentucky) full-time (less than an year)

Pros

My manager and HR were great.

Cons

Not many job openings for nurses needing experience.

Provide extended orientation for good nurses who need a little more guidance and aren't considered new grads.