Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis

Be The First To
Add Photos

Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis Administrator & CEO Derick Ziegler

Derick Ziegler

Long time employee, appreciate the benefits they have kept in spite of this healthcare upheaval, love my job.

ProsGreat boss, great coworkers, focused senior leadership, willing to do what it takes to make it right with all.

ConsHealthcare as a whole is changing, sometimes difficult cuts are made to sacrifice the whole, this is never pleasant.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on your customers, patients, employees, physicians and push hard to make the team concept work even through the competition of departments with each other.

Inconsistent Preceptor Training

Memphis, TN

ProsThere are some things that are good about Baptist such as the friendly work environment, the company values, and the clientele.

ConsThe largest challenge was the inconsistency in the preceptor training. I had one preceptor that word weekend days. Then my next preceptor worked weekday nights. Then my preceptor switched to weekdays and weekend days depending on her ex husband's schedule. I received no consistency when we switched back to days because she was then "floating" which means we did not ever have the same patient back to back so I could see no progress in their health.

Advice to Senior ManagementOne thing that is critical to a new RN is consistency. Also, it is important to look at one's situation and take into account the reason a person could not show up for work one day. My mother lost consciousness for 10 minutes, I had to rush her to the hospital, and stay with her while they are running these tests, all after no sleep for 24 hours due to working all night long at Baptist Memphis. I immediately get fired because of a family emergency??

Not a good place

Anonymous (Former Employee)
    Booneville, MS

ProsGood Insurance and other Benefits

ConsCo-workers, Human Resources was a joke, 3 weeks and no badge and never in office. Never updated info in system from last time I worked at Baptist in another state. Promised set schedule but never got one. A lot of managers but not a lot of things getting done. Secretary throwing around slurs and bad mouthing nurses. Bad environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStaff needs better training and your hospital needs to better value employees. Young inexperienced hr workers getting paid more than unit secretaries with degree and 15 years medical experience?

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bad Orientation

Oxford, MS

ProsPay is good, health insurance and benefits

ConsYoung, Inexperienced nursing staff, task oriented.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide a welcoming atmosphere to New hires.

Good pay, lacking in employee morale

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsBaptist has great benefits such as medical, dental, vision insurance that is very cost effective, and they are up to date when it comes to technology.

ConsIn my department it was VERY difficult to take any time off without having to make it up. Morale was very poor in my department as well because it seemed as though you wouldn't find out about new policies until you had violated them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is no fun to feel that the only feedback you ever get is negative. Also, it is of no use if you have time built up to take off, but you are never allowed to use it, or if you do you are made to feel as if you're letting the whole team and every patient in the hospital down for doing so.

Good pay but Employees are not important.

Germantown, TN

ProsCompetitive pay scale, discounted lunch for employees. Those in higher positions were very involved with the staff and made efforts show face within the hospital. Patient centered care.

ConsScheduling is based on seniority and not fair for those that are new to the Hospital. Very political and there is little to no comradery amongst the staff working the floor, and management turns a eye to negative treatment of employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into the turn around rate of the nurses in each department, those with low retention is because of the way the employee is being treated. No one wants to come to a job they hate because the people they work with aren't getting a long and they feel that as an individual they don't matter.

Turnover was a huge problem and nurses were not welcoming to new RN's.

Memphis, TN

ProsPay was decent and schedule was consistent.

ConsConstant bickering between nurses and management, huge turnover of nursing staff

Advice to Senior ManagementTake action to stop the bullying between new and seasoned nurses.

I worked at BMH for 40 years and I enjoyed it

Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsGood people to work with. it has been a great learning place.Good benefits. The atmosphere and the workers were very caring.

Conssometimes we were not staffed well for the amount of patients we had,but everyone pulled together and we made it .

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish managers would go out on the floor,like for example walk a day in my shoes. I remember we did that a while back.it would be nice for them to know what we go through.

Cutbacks on benefits and staffing, and throwing money away on unnecessary tech - makes perfect sense

Staff Nurse (Current Employee)
    Memphis, TN

ProsI have been a Baptist employee for 5 years. The first several years of my Baptist experience was great. I received a good orientation, continuing education, plenty of support from my manager, and had everything I needed to do my job. Current pro's are: I still have a job and I still get my paycheck on time.

ConsThe organization has taken a bad turn in the past 6 months. Despite making plenty of profit (remember, this is a non-profit organization), there has been a dramatic decrease in staffing, and the company is cutting benefits left and right -- no more tuition reimbursement for new hires, no more specialty certification reimbursement, no more preceptor pay, and the list goes on and on. Meanwhile, Baptist is spending millions of dollars on new equipment -- cardiac monitors are being replaced in areas where they work perfectly fine now, new iPhones are being issued to nursing staff to replace an already-working companion phone system. If Baptist doesn't have the money to pay the staff, where are these millions coming from for unnecessary technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your feet on the ground and your heads out of the clouds. Reassess where you are spending money and why you are spending it. Realize that a decrease in staffing will result in decreased patient safety and patient satisfaction, which will reduce reimbursement dramatically, forcing you to cut costs even more.

Good company

Memphis, TN

ProsGreat benefits even if they trim down inthe future. Salary is decent.

ConsCompany as a whole seems fragmented as each hopital in the system does things differently. Decisions are made from the top down and that's that!!

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage the people who make your organization what it is. Stop looking to external sources to tell you what your employees already know. It makes those employee opinion surveys seem like a waste of time!!

Worked for Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis CEO Derick Ziegler. All 23 reviews posted anonymously by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Memphis employees.