Bar Louie

Updated January 19, 2015
Updated January 19, 2015
2.6

John Neitzel

Depending on Location, great!

Current Employee - Server in Evanston, IL
    Current Employee - Server in Evanston, IL

I have been working at Bar Louie

Pros

Lots of fun, requested time off, can always come back to work if you have been away

Cons

Depending on location and type of Bar Louie, could not be very lucrative

Loved my management

Review

I have been working at Bar Louie

Pros

Good fellow employees but the company itself could use some work

Cons

No health benefits, maximum 20 some hours a week for employees

Horrible Management

Current Employee - Waitress in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Waitress in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Bar Louie

Pros

-Flexible Schedule
    -Job is easy
    -Fellow servers are nice

Cons

-Awful management. Certain managers just sit in their office or bar tend all night instead of dealing with problems. It's common to have difficulty finding them if a customer has a problem. Also, most of the managers are lazy and will take tables and customers from waiters even though they are on salary.
    -System of who leaves and when isn't fair. Often people can just complain and leave early even when others have been working 10+ hours that day.
    - Pay is not consistent at all. In the winter you will be lucky to leave with twenty dollars after a full day.

Great company to learn from.

Former Employee - General Manager in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Bar Louie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and move up to management. Very fun place to work for when/if all the right people are in the right position. The old payment structure for managers was awesome. Stopped working here once payment structure changed and Restaurant-America was bought out.

Cons

They had no clue how to be competitive in sunny California. Turnover was too high due to the lack of communication on all ends. Stores were opening too fast without being able to put money back into the stores that needed it the most. Main office could be a bit unorganized.

Corporate needs to focus on proper training for management based on the west coast. Never really got to take a vacation as a GM.

Server

Former Employee - Server
    Former Employee - Server

I worked at Bar Louie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The food is half off and the environment is pretty laid back. Management is mostly awesome, however can sometimes make servers work unnecessary hours where there is little to no money to be made. The food is delicious and 9/10 guests that dine in or come for drinks are friendly to talk to! The ability to move up anywhere in the company in a rapid time is very possible and promotion inside the company seems to be a top priority!

Cons

Unstable pay due to being tipped. Closing shifts can take an extra 1-2 hours after close and almost unmanaged when it comes to individual duties or responsibilities.

Do not over staff or over hire if your previous or present staff is already complaining of a lack of hours / slow shifts (tipped positions).

Run as far away as you can!!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

I worked at Bar Louie

Pros

Some nice people, thats about it.

Cons

Poor management, rampant drug use and sexual harassment, lazy workers, place was shut down october 2014 for roaches, still has roaches. Check out the Dirty Dining segment, it was all over local news. Broken equipment, favoritism, dirty kitchen, KM is useless and doesn't know how to manage, over-priced food, hostile work environment, extremely high turnover rate, items always 86, nothing ever gets done, servers constantly bad mouth patrons. Worst place I've ever worked! Bring up an issue, they retaliate against you!

Fire your managers and hire ones who actually have experience and can manage properly, clean your dirty kitchen, control the roaches, fix the broken equipment, stop setting people up for failure and then blaming them. Also, get rid of all the druggies and managers who sexually harass female workers.

A Burning Ship

Former Employee - Server and Bartender in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server and Bartender in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Bar Louie part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Most managers are polite and helpful. It can get busy due to all the happy hours. There is a lack of enforcement of rules (if you're lazy or criminal it's good,I'm neither) The side work is easy and there is potential to earn decent money. The cooks were excellent workers and never let me down.

Cons

ABSOLUTELY does not work with school or any other obligations if you're the type who prefers above a D average. The night shifts are very long and would be considered a double at most restaurants.The managers are overburdened for little pay. For those who like some structure, the lack of it is frustrating. Only a few servers are actually competent at keeping guests satisfied, it was not uncommon for tables to ask me if their server had left! There has been management who have drank at work, It is common for a certain manager to give away loads of free alcohol to friends and the same manager strongly fraternizes with guests (often random), while hippocritically blaming bartenders for the company losses and attempting to put the employees down and complain when they are requesting assistance, yet only acting this way when the good managers are not around. The happy hours A) will bring in the "cheap" variant of people, however inevitable in a bar B) your sales and (consequentially) tips will be half of what you worked for during these hours, ex. 15% of 1000 in sales is $150, everythings half off; 15% of 500 is $75= for every happy hour you're probably gonna get half of what you normally should. overall, when corporate isn't around, half the manager's do not care about the guest's well being. The place overall can have it's few "feel good" moments, but overall is toxic to your mind, body and soul.

For those who worked hard and stayed assertive, I commend you for your hard work, it was nice working with you. For the management who like to abuse "power" get yourself straight, they're going to find out. Be a good role model.

A Pleasant Experiance

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Bar Louie part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours, fun atmosphere, great managers who have realistic goals and expectations, great drinks. The staff is a joy to work with. The staff looks really good! Love the "date ready" mentality.

Cons

The food is not good, I cringe sometimes taking things out to my guest. When it is slow it is SLLOOOW (Some nights I'll walk out with 20 bucks) the specials are too good and attract a cheap crowd who are out for the savings not the experience. Outrageous specials almost every night except Monday and Saturday that's great for the guests and the company but not so great for the staff that depend on at least an average tip.

Focus on food as much as the hand crafted drinks.

Three table sections and overstaffing

Current Employee - Server in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Bar Louie full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great employee discount- 50% off
    Good training, expect to know drink and food menu by heart
    Ample room for growth in the company

Cons

Terrible sections, only give servers 3-4 table sections
    Overstaffing is a consistent problem, servers have a hard time making money here
    Management is mediocre and full of immature adults
    There is a reason for the high turnover rate of employees.

Stop playing favorites and stopping giving the female servers who complain the most what they want. I suggest you try to keep the good managers in the company instead of developing the bad ones. Managers sacrifice servers potential to make money constantly by overstaffing on slow nights.

There's a reason the turnover rate for managers and employees is so high.

Former Employee - Bartender
    Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at Bar Louie full-time (more than a year)

Pros

High earnings potential. I was making at least $700/wk fulltime (4 days) and $400/wk part time (2 days) I was fortunate to have some great shifts over my 2 years at the company and did very well, but that's not the norm.

I enjoyed working with my coworkers. General atmousphere is laid back. I was studying business and found my experience at Bar Louie very illuminating for my studies, but...

Cons

...it was illuminating because for all the wrong reasons. During my time there, they made some questionable decisions. They have made also some totoal bonehead decisions. Most of my criticism would center around corporate and regional management, but there is a trickle down effect due to very terrible hiring decisions. They make consistently poor hiring decisions. Occasionally they hire a good manager, but they are working so hard to retain and develop the bad ones that they end up turning over the good ones. It sounds absurd, but it's the Bar Louie way.

Like many poorly ran companies, the corporate office decides to do something, makes it clear that it's paramount for the success of the company, and then abandons it a few weeks later instead of building from that success. This is tough on morale, adds confusion, and neccesitates mandatory Saturday and Sunday AM meetings constantly. It's really sweet to have to come to work at 9AM when you are coming off a double shift that ended at 330AM the night before.

Don't even ask about benefits as an hourly employee, but that's a norm in the biz.

Stick to your missions statement and company values...that would be a nice start. Stop the "say one thing, do another" nonsense. Most importantly take the time to think about the big picture and forumulate a plan then stick with it! Hire good people, and develop them to be the future of your company as opposed to hiring people that are CLEARLY inept and fighting feverishly to change them into good ones.