Bar Louie

Updated November 20, 2014
Updated November 20, 2014
2.7

John Neitzel

Great company to learn from.

Former Employee - General Manager in Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - General Manager in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Bar Louie full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and move up to management. Very fun place to work for when/if all the right people are in the right position. The old payment structure for managers was awesome. Stopped working here once payment structure changed and Restaurant-America was bought out.

Cons

They had no clue how to be competitive in sunny California. Turnover was too high due to the lack of communication on all ends. Stores were opening too fast without being able to put money back into the stores that needed it the most. Main office could be a bit unorganized.

Corporate needs to focus on proper training for management based on the west coast. Never really got to take a vacation as a GM.

Server

I worked at Bar Louie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The food is half off and the environment is pretty laid back. Management is mostly awesome, however can sometimes make servers work unnecessary hours where there is little to no money to be made. The food is delicious and 9/10 guests that dine in or come for drinks are friendly to talk to! The ability to move up anywhere in the company in a rapid time is very possible and promotion inside the company seems to be a top priority!

Cons

Unstable pay due to being tipped. Closing shifts can take an extra 1-2 hours after close and almost unmanaged when it comes to individual duties or responsibilities.

Do not over staff or over hire if your previous or present staff is already complaining of a lack of hours / slow shifts (tipped positions).

A Pleasant Experiance

Current Employee - Server
    Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Bar Louie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible hours, fun atmosphere, great managers who have realistic goals and expectations, great drinks. The staff is a joy to work with. The staff looks really good! Love the "date ready" mentality.

Cons

The food is not good, I cringe sometimes taking things out to my guest. When it is slow it is SLLOOOW (Some nights I'll walk out with 20 bucks) the specials are too good and attract a cheap crowd who are out for the savings not the experience. Outrageous specials almost every night except Monday and Saturday that's great for the guests and the company but not so great for the staff that depend on at least an average tip.

Focus on food as much as the hand crafted drinks.

Three table sections and overstaffing

Current Employee - Server in Westlake, OH
    Current Employee - Server in Westlake, OH

I have been working at Bar Louie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount- 50% off
    Good training, expect to know drink and food menu by heart
    Ample room for growth in the company

Cons

Terrible sections, only give servers 3-4 table sections
    Overstaffing is a consistent problem, servers have a hard time making money here
    Management is mediocre and full of immature adults
    There is a reason for the high turnover rate of employees.

Stop playing favorites and stopping giving the female servers who complain the most what they want. I suggest you try to keep the good managers in the company instead of developing the bad ones. Managers sacrifice servers potential to make money constantly by overstaffing on slow nights.

There's a reason the turnover rate for managers and employees is so high.

Former Employee - Bartender
    Former Employee - Bartender

I worked at Bar Louie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High earnings potential. I was making at least $700/wk fulltime (4 days) and $400/wk part time (2 days) I was fortunate to have some great shifts over my 2 years at the company and did very well, but that's not the norm.

I enjoyed working with my coworkers. General atmousphere is laid back. I was studying business and found my experience at Bar Louie very illuminating for my studies, but...

Cons

...it was illuminating because for all the wrong reasons. During my time there, they made some questionable decisions. They have made also some totoal bonehead decisions. Most of my criticism would center around corporate and regional management, but there is a trickle down effect due to very terrible hiring decisions. They make consistently poor hiring decisions. Occasionally they hire a good manager, but they are working so hard to retain and develop the bad ones that they end up turning over the good ones. It sounds absurd, but it's the Bar Louie way.

Like many poorly ran companies, the corporate office decides to do something, makes it clear that it's paramount for the success of the company, and then abandons it a few weeks later instead of building from that success. This is tough on morale, adds confusion, and neccesitates mandatory Saturday and Sunday AM meetings constantly. It's really sweet to have to come to work at 9AM when you are coming off a double shift that ended at 330AM the night before.

Don't even ask about benefits as an hourly employee, but that's a norm in the biz.

Stick to your missions statement and company values...that would be a nice start. Stop the "say one thing, do another" nonsense. Most importantly take the time to think about the big picture and forumulate a plan then stick with it! Hire good people, and develop them to be the future of your company as opposed to hiring people that are CLEARLY inept and fighting feverishly to change them into good ones.

They only hire attractive people

Former Employee - Bartender in Bensalem, PA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Bensalem, PA

I worked at Bar Louie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good concept. Handcrafted martinis are delicious, food is tasty, and there are many opportunities for growth.

Cons

They only hire attractive people.... mainly inexperienced pretty people. Try shaking 100 martinis a night for 10 seconds each... no bueno. Way to much work for not enough money. You are running out of 4 wells. Using all fresh product. Straight ruunning all shift long, for cucumbers and mint and fresh squeezed lime juice... eeeeeeekkkkk. Annndddd most of these attractive females behind the bar do absolutely nothing. Oh yeah! Corporate treats you like your a complete idiot.

Stop sleeping with employees. Hire bartenders with experience, not just boobs. Figure out some type of daily side work routine instead of a couple girls doing everything while the princesses do nothing. Hire management with actual experience.

First job in a new city.

Current Employee - Bartender, Key Holder, In Store Events Coordinator in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Bar Louie full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible, personal growth, able to move up in the company, great starting point, fun, energetic management

Cons

minimum server/bar pay, no holidays off, long hours, open 365 days a year

I would suggest offering a compensation for services provided on holidays if you're going to remain open for those times. They are often slow and there's little money to be made in tips. Also understand that some people like to work in the service industry as a second job. This entails that they don't desire to work weekends or long nights. It was hard for me to keep my availability as I wish because management was scheduling me outside of my availability and I couldn't say no because I wanted to be able to help. Resulting in burning myself out.

Unfortunately the worst restaurant I have ever served at.

I worked at Bar Louie full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Training was good and as a server I had to learn all the food and alcoholic drinks which I was tested on. The test was very difficult and I had to know every ingredient in each dish and drink. This was helpful when customers had questions. Also, when the kitchen screwed up on food (which was OFTEN) the staff was allowed to eat it...probably because their ingredients were so cheap and their food was so terrible and inexpensive. There were a lot of computers, which made ringing in food more efficient.

Cons

The staff was LAZY. The GM smelled like he had been drinking often and management in general had an unprofessional relationship with all staff. The staff turnover rate was the fastest and highest for any company I ever worked for, and the people in the kitchen had no idea what they were doing because there were constantly new cooks. The food is disgusting and took way to long to come out, which often made customers angry. The restaurant was disgusting-there was no working sink in the kitchen (which makes me wonder how the cooks washed their hands...). The ceiling was dripping a great deal in the kitchen right over the expo line for the majority of time I worked there and it was never fixed. The restaurant was unsanitary and I could not believe the Health Dept. never came in to check them. Also, the serving shifts were ridiculously long because the restaurant was bar hours (open to 2am).

Serve better quality food. Have management really look at how they are treating their employees-there was constantly inappropriate touching and conversations. Hire managers that have gone to school for managing! As a management student, I saw laziness and unprofessionalism! Managers were unwilling to check on tables at times when it was needed.

Management

Current Employee - FOH Manager
    Current Employee - FOH Manager

I have been working at Bar Louie full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The culture, values and long term growth of the company. Lots of potential for growth!

Cons

Still struggling to streamline departments and have stretched a little too thin in some areas

Horrible nightmare

Current Employee - Server in Clearwater, FL
    Current Employee - Server in Clearwater, FL

I have been working at Bar Louie part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun environment. Yummy drinks and food. Employee discount

Cons

UnorganIzed, poorly ran. Managers who have a do as i say not as i do mentality. too many people on the floor on slow nites. Not enough people scheduled on events so you are stressed and not Able to give best service. Km does not know how to run anything we are always 86 something. Constantly losing employees because of bad management. never a dishwasher scheduled so you now have to serve and clean dishes for $4 an hr.Horribly dirty place roaches infested. Only some of the management cares to keep place clean. The rest dont care and have done nothing to fix the roach issue but get bug spray and that does nothing. Corporate is too focused on opening new stores. Need to focus more on stores you already have. Overall very stressful place to work. I thought maybe it was just our location that was like this but seeing these others reviews i now know that these problems happen at just about every bar louie. My sanity is worth more than the money i make there. Hoping it will get better but seems to be getting worse. :( if i didnt need the money id be gone.

Read what i have wrote