Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute

Great Experience

Former Employee - Intern in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Intern in Detroit, MI

I worked at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute

Pros

Lots of guidance from others, get atmosphere and culture, very comfortable environment

Cons

Not a lot of challenging work

Management is bad from top to bottom

Former Employee - Job in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Job in Detroit, MI

I worked at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute

Pros

(CTO)Time off is the only pro.

Cons

This company is horrible to work for. Upper management knows they have a problem. Instead of fixing issues they fire the people who bring it to their attention.Human Resources consists of only one person and that person does nothing about complaints that have been going on for years.The company doesn't allow people to advance.Whatever job you are hired in is where you stay forever unless you get fired.The company barely runs because they lack training because of the high turn over rate.Plus lower level staff is more educated than the higher level staff.The higher staff are uneducated bullies.While the higher educated people are kept in low level positions and not allowed to advance.Even outsiders told this company that their were problems with the way staff is treated.The company does nothing but try to fire whistleblowers.

This company is tore up from the floor up.It needs total regime change.The lower level staff is more educated than the higher level staff.

HR needs to be fixed also.No matter how you complain or who you complain too it all gets back to the one HR person who then tries to get more names and help management threaten or fire whistleblowers.

I enjoyed working for Karmanos Cancer Institute

Former Employee - Biling Liaison in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Biling Liaison in Southfield, MI

I worked at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I truly enjoyed working with patients

Cons

our budget was cut and My hours were reduced

I have no advice for Mgt

Too much focus on silly policies

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute full-time (less than a year)

Pros

some of the people are very nice and you feel like you are a part of something good

Cons

expected to just know things that were not told to me when i was hired or trained.

be more understanding for those of us with health issues...if we do a good job you should try to keep us around even if we miss a few more days due to illness.

Harrassment is acceptable

Former Employee - HIM Processor II in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - HIM Processor II in Detroit, MI

I worked at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute full-time (less than a year)

Pros

CTO instead of PTO
    Decent insurance
    What the company does is admirable
    Most low level staff is nice

Cons

Upper management is a terrible and does not care if employees are being harrassed daily by lower management

High turn over rate Medical records department has had three directors in one year

Human resources has no power over management so even if you file complaints it doesn't matter

Take a look into the people leading the departments and you will find the reason for not being able to keep good quality employees. The department would be much more productive if everyone wasnt so miserable every day because of ONE person. If multiple people are reporting the same issues...there must be a problem.

Good volunteering experience

I worked at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute

Pros

Wide range of ways in which you can choose to contribute as a volunteer

Cons

No real cons in my opinion. Good volunteering experience, and it gives you a good idea of what to expect for working in healthcare. Any cons to the volunteer position could be considered positive in the sense that they prepare you for future work in healthcare.

Poor management, good benefits

Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Benefits, good amount of paid time off

Cons

Poor management, no trust in its employees, always being reprimanded for being a young employee, no recognition for what you do for the team on the daily basis, poor salary pay for how much work and projects taken on.

Find a new manager. This manager does not know how to be professional and respectful. He/she has had such a turnover rate of employees quitting within a year or so due to lack of professionalism. This manager was recently promoted to upper management which shows that directors and head of department do not listen to their employees needs, or care for that matter. The day to day insults and passive aggressiveness is not worth the little amount of pay given.

Patient Care Tech(Internship)

Former Employee - Patient Care Tech in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Patient Care Tech in Detroit, MI

I worked at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very positive place to work its a lot of caring and understanding and I would love to be a part of the Karmanos family

Cons

I have nothing negative to say all positive...

Keep up the good work.

satisfying work and good benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good people with dedication to fighting cancer. All skill levels employed throughout company

Cons

Too many VPs and directors and they (management) don't care about family/home life, just what you can do for them

Chill, enjoy life. Give the staff the credit they deserve

billing liaison

Current Employee - Billing Liaison in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Billing Liaison in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Barbara Ann Karmanos Cancer Institute full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

poor pay, no room for advancement, boss plays favoritism.

Cons

no retirement-expensive insurance that covers nothing

get managers that don’t play favoritism and actually work vs. heating up bacon and shredding paper all day