Barbizon

Updated Feb 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dave Harris

You truly are in control of your own destiny and the possibilities for your future are entirely in your own hands.

I have been working at Barbizon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe work is fast-paced, but the atmosphere is still laid back and very friendly. You have the opportunity to collaborate with different staff and challenge your skill set while taking advantage of the many opportunities for growth within the company. Management encourages outside-the-box thinking, supports each employee and is always available to provide assistance or guidance. This company allows you to be part of a positive impact on the life of a child and gives an incredible sense of purpose and fulfillment.

ConsYou must have passion and dedication to succeed and excel. No matter the position, what you do each day makes a difference. Individuals who do not want to become emotionally invested in their work and prefer to just collect a check will not thrive.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

My experience at Barbizon has given me amazing opportunities and has been a positive, life changing experience.

Director of Education (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barbizon part-time for more than 5 years

Pros*Being able to help and work something out financially for student to fulfill her dreams and goals

*Hearing how much they love program and how much confidence has improved

*Being able to help save possible dropouts

*I love every single person I work with and look forward to seeing them at work

*Being able to make a difference

*Hearing about my students success stories

*Watching my students grow into beautiful, polished young ladies over the 6 months

*Building confidence and personal development

*I love the Barbizon atmosphere

*Bonding with the students and parents

*Being able to help resolve issues with the students such as bullying or bringing up grades

*Being a role model for my students

Cons*Not having communication with a student or parent

*Having a student that has given up in believing in herself

*Having parents or guardians that don't care or have given up on their daughters

*Hearing sad stories and after going through all options, not having any other option for them that works for their daughter to continue the program and shine

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is extremely important. Being able to get in contact with other employees or supervisors is important for the success of my job.

My DREAM job!!!!

NATIONAL TRAINING MANAGER (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Barbizon full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have been able to take my industry experience full circle and continue to be part of what I love. Who won't love getting all dolled up to go to work and feeling great helping others achieve their goals. It's so much fun! I also love how I get to be in the office two days a week, work one day from my home office and see the world on the weekends! What a great feeling to do something that makes a difference along with a smile on your face to boot! Working at Barbizon USA, LLC does make a difference and it great knowing you can change lives. AWESOME PLACE WITH GREAT BENEFITS TOO!!

ConsThis is probably not a good fit for someone that is not a "good traveler" and/or does not like to be on planes. Traveling on weekends, mainly by plane, is large part of this position.

Advice to Senior ManagementTo continue increasing the communication and transparency between different levels of management.

I have been very fortunate to be a part of Barbizon and have had so many new and wonderful opportunities!

I have been working at Barbizon full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat work environment, growth opportunities, getting to work with girls 8-18 who want to be in the modeling/acting industry or just want to better themselves. I am learning a lot myself in the process. Good pay/benefits.

ConsHard work/hours during certain seasons, but not more than what is expected in this industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementI love that we continue to grow and become more innovative and fabulous all of the time! Keep it up!

A Great Place to GROW!!!

I have been working at Barbizon

ProsEndless opportunities for growth, fast-paced environment, goal-oriented company, continually expanding territory, opportunity to make a change in lives others, be supported by a world-renowned curriculum, and travel.

ConsSince the classes are held on weekends, most positions do require weekends and some holiday work, and possibly travel time.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall, Barbizon is a great place to work! It is very rare one is able to couple their industry passion with their full-time career. I believe Barbizon USA will only continue to prosper and move forward as the industry leader, as we continue to grow!

Great Company with room to grow.

Tampa, FL

I have been working at Barbizon full-time

ProsBarbizon USA is the ideal workplace for anyone seeking a position that provides growth & benefits. The company is also perfect for those wanting to work in some capacity of the entertainment industry. The professional atmosphere is great for those seeking structure & security. The company departments work strongly as a team toward their goals. Barbizon USA has wonderful IT systems in place to make the workplace as productive as possible. Working with Barbizon USA provides a unique experience both in and out of the office as travel is a large part for every department. A position with Barbizon USA is perfect for anyone that loves a travel lifestyle. While traveling, the company goes above and beyond to make each trip as simple and stress-free as possible. Working with Barbizon USA, you know that you have job security & the opportunity to make the most out of a great career.

ConsThe only con I could see people having would be the travel schedule is a lot.
If you are not looking to travel OR give up some weekends, this may not be for you.
I however, love it.

Friendly environment, excellent pay, many opportunities.

Tampa, FL

I have been working at Barbizon part-time for more than a year

ProsPay is excellent. Everyone is welcoming and kind. Nationwide-tons of available jobs

ConsIts BUSY BUSY BUSY, and very hard to do so much at one time. Long days 15+ hours for some events

Advice to Senior ManagementLove it- Barbizon rocks!!

So Sad. It has the potential to be everything it boasts but GREED runs this show.

Reception (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Barbizon part-time for less than a year

ProsWorking with people who have been with the company for years. These people actually care about their jobs and have formed a tight knit community within this back stabbing company and are generally decent.

ConsEveryone else.

The pay is absolute garbage. $10/hourly rate for incoming fresh meat, Directors do not make the projected $80k they were "sold" and teachers make a day rate of $100-$125.

So sad. Please avoid this company if you can help it. No one specific employee is clearly defined as the reason behind such poor conditions as far as salary, professionalism, and the general unease in the air at Barbizon New York. Obviously those in charge can change things but it's such a lucrative scheme, why bother with the well being and general happiness of your employees?

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously reconsider the way some employees are treated over others. Everyone plays a valuable role and it is grossly unfair over pay certain employees who spend their time discussing their personal lives or causing drama over others who come in to genuinely do their jobs. It makes me sick.

Good money...diminished morals.

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Barbizon full-time for less than a year

ProsYou can make a lot of money very quickly. Paid travel.

ConsManagement is much too involved in your personal life. Work hours include nights and every single weekend and most holidays. Late/incorrect commission checks. Some employees lie to people to make their sales, which makes everyone look bad.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement loves you when you're selling but treats you like crap when your sales are down. Most employees are seriously stressed out and often have emotional breakdowns. Be kinder to your employees when they are having a tough week.

Turnover city

Talent Director Booker (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at Barbizon full-time for less than a year

ProsHelping kids stay out of the streets

ConsNo benefits and commission only for their Directors. In the couple of months working there there were 10 employees who came and left and only 2 of those were fired.They attract people by advertising an 80k a year position when that's not the case, false advertisement just like their leads. At the end of the day is a business deigned to chew employees up, get the best of them, then spit them out. Long work hours and they expect you to work both days of the weekend..no quality of life. The employees' intelligence is often insulted through child like "sales training" and the way management approaches employees is through a "fake" manipulative approach. Stand your ground and think twice before joining this company; they will lie to you as much as they lie to their prospect students. FYI the top 40 agents they present students after their graduation is called IPAS..look them up is an up-sale after Barbizon that will cost parents 8k.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest and care more about your employees. If you want your employees to sell the company as the largest, most prestigious, most high standard talent center prove it to your employees by paying them base vs commission, offering benefits, and not overworking them.

Worked for Barbizon? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barbizon reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barbizon CEO Dave Harris. All 18 reviews posted anonymously by Barbizon employees.