Barchester Healthcare Reviews

1. Disgraceful

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kent, WA

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare

Pros

Clients deserve a little help, have met some very interesting people over the years

Cons

No staff, rude management, lack of backing from anyone as they will get it from management. Clients are being neglected, if families complain it is staff who get blame?

Advice to Management

Leave ! Your people skills are disgraceful, your professional manner is wrong, you don't respect anyone so why expect it back?

Feb 23, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Manager

We are sorry hear of your experience whilst working for Barchester and take your comments very seriously. Barchester never use the term ‘client’, we are a family and strive to make our homes safe ... More

2. Great team members poor management

Current Employee - Health Care Assistant in Llanelli, Wales (UK)
    Current Employee - Health Care Assistant in Llanelli, Wales (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time

Pros

Excellent team members and the residents makes the shift more enjoyable

Cons

Feels like you have no support from management if there is a problem and feel like your expendable

Advice to Management

To try to listen to your staff more and if there is s problem take the time to try to come up with a solution rather then brush the matter under the carpet

worse employer ever

Current Employee - Administrative in Hull, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative in Hull, England (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The location is easy to get to

Cons

management that bully staff Impossible workload

Advice to Management

do not bully staff or set impossible targets

LITTLE STAFF AT NIGHT TO CARE FOR 72 FRAIL PATIENTS.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Basingstoke, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Basingstoke, England (UK)

I worked at Barchester Healthcare

Pros

Plenty of Barchester home's in Basingstoke /Bramley area-so no difficulty getting a job there. On the surface, all the homes present as a 5* hotel & all staff are 100% + doing a good job. Hairdresser on site. wine with meals. Large enclosed gardens.

Cons

HCA's /RN's are paid lowest possible £6-£9.00ph & RN'S £13.79.In the day x2 staff nurses on each floor + another RN,doing drugs & working between both units -Upstairs dementia unit 36 beds/downstairs . CONCERNS:- Days staffed (both units) 5-8 HCA'S + x1 RN-Excellent for the care standards overall and for the care package/nursing care the resident is paying £600 -£1000pw. This all falls down at night with x1 RN on each unit & only x2 HCA'S to care for up to 36 ,demanding or dying patients -As the patients who shout loudest get the most attention and the HCA'S are run off their feet-See April 2015 CQC Report on- line.

Advice to Management

Stop employing foreign nationals without giving them a written English /math test before -full interview. Pay more. All managers should at lease once a week roll up their sleeves and work alongside the staff days & nights,instead of sitting behind a desk all day -Particularly the clinical manager. Each home Managers,when on weekend call (+ must be )racking in £'s for doing this).-should WHEN someone has tel sick absent over weekend's.Come in & work.Not satellite manage from home.Especially if a night nurse has gone sick -Leaving x2 RN's & then only x3 HCA's to care for up to 72 residents. Work alongside the staff & walk in their shoes,in order to understand the expectations placed on them-They WILL THEN RESPECT YOU MORE.

6. Horrible place to be or work in!

Current Employee - Carer in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Carer in Kingston upon Hull, England (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare

Pros

Meeting new clients is always an experiance, you learn something new everytime. You will also exercise a lot in this job! So thats a plus.

Cons

Horrible management they dont care at all. Always up your back. Treat you like dirt and expect you to do everything including their jobs! Paperwork increases weekly. Minimum wage is not enough for the hours and effort you are told to put in. Nurses are incredibly lazy! Never have perminent night staff as they have alienated all the decent nurses and carers. No breaks permitted, no free dinners, aparently we are not allowed a uniform until it practically falls apart. Worst job I have ever had.

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with more dignity, stop dictating when and where they are allowed their holidays, stop the increasing unecessary paperwork and stop threatening the staff! If you want your staff to wear black trousers and uniforms then pay for them, dont make us wait a year for a uniform!

7. Rewarding, enjoyable and interesting job.

Current Employee - Chef in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Chef in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare

Pros

I manage my own time, team and work. Am given scope to implement and expand my plans and ideas with good management support and opportunities to progress with very well planned training and development.

Cons

Working with other departments not as motivated and supported as mine

Jan 7, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to give us such valuable feedback. We constantly strive to ensure that we are meeting our employees' needs and it's good to know that we are on the right track. We are ... More

8. Staff oriented company with amazing training opportunities and strong ethical values

Current Employee - General Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

What I love about Barchester is that they don't have the usual big company 'corporate' mentality. They are very much about empowering their staff to be autonomous and to express their individuality. Their care homes are the same - each one has its own culture; it allows people to become part of the creative process and feel included as a member of a family. Barchester's other big strength is their staff development programmes. They have their own business school and all staff are encouraged to take career development qualifications.

Cons

Internal communication could be better. And their strategic planning - or lack of it! - is frustrating at times.

Advice to Management

Hopefully the new CEO will redress some of the operational issues that have let the company down in recent years.

Jan 7, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for your generous feedback. Our aim is to encourage all of our staff to achieve their full potential - whatever their role - so it's good to know that your experience reflects this. We have ... More

9. Staff work long. Hours

Current Employee - Care Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Care Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Rewarding working. With residents and. Families

Cons

Barchester expect a lot and don't back hard work for Pay. Can. Change. Things at short notice. Lack of. Time. For. Training

Advice to Management

Listen to your. Staff. And show. Them respect

Jan 7, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review. While we are delighted that you find your work rewarding we take your other comments very seriously. We are committed to being the best employer in ... More

10. Forced neglect , Abuse of residents

Current Employee - Health Care Assistant
    Current Employee - Health Care Assistant

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Posh carpets , posh food !

Cons

None ! Care more about profits over people , always short staffed , high sickness level , poor staff resident ratio .

Advice to Management

More care staff needed to give high standard of care , and to meet the extra documentation needs . More training Better pay than the NMW

11. Barchester expects a lot but gives little

Current Employee - Care Assistant
    Current Employee - Care Assistant

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy my job as carer and the team I work with are dedicated and hard working. We are supported by the head nurses. Training is on going but mainly for legal reasons I feel. We are carers because we care not for our hourly rate which is low.

Cons

There is a distinct lack of communication between management and care staff. Leaving staff feeling very under valued. We are expected to run on limited staff due to client carer ratio. Rightly or wrongly I think care comes before huge profits. No perks for carers, would be nice to have a free lunch on long shifts.

Advice to Management

Treat us with respect then you gain respect. Don't try to make changes without consulting the people you rely on. Hold a meeting to explain your reasons, we might surprise you and agree. Threatening us with no shifts if we don't get things done is not my idea of good working relationships. it causes a divide between management and the people who care for our residents. Many residents pay a lot of money and expect quality care which we try our utmost to provide, so, support by management is a crucial aspect of care.

Jan 8, 2015 – Recruitment Marketing Manager

Thank you for taking the time to leave such constructive and honest feedback. We are committed to providing the very best in holistic care and rely on dedicated people such as yourself to deliver the ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed