Barchester Healthcare

Updated September 10, 2014
Updated September 10, 2014
3.8

CEO

Staff oriented company with amazing training opportunities and strong ethical values

Current Employee - General Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - General Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What I love about Barchester is that they don't have the usual big company 'corporate' mentality. They are very much about empowering their staff to be autonomous and to express their individuality. Their care homes are the same - each one has its own culture; it allows people to become part of the creative process and feel included as a member of a family. Barchester's other big strength is their staff development programmes. They have their own business school and all staff are encouraged to take career development qualifications.

Cons

Internal communication could be better. And their strategic planning - or lack of it! - is frustrating at times.

Hopefully the new CEO will redress some of the operational issues that have let the company down in recent years.

Staff work long. Hours

Current Employee - Care Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Care Assistant in Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Rewarding working. With residents and. Families

Cons

Barchester expect a lot and don't back hard work for Pay. Can. Change. Things at short notice. Lack of. Time. For. Training

Listen to your. Staff. And show. Them respect

My experience at the orchard has been wonderful

Current Employee - Carer in Ryde, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Carer in Ryde, England (UK)

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I was given a job and believed in. Management are approachable and
    fantastic and I think considering all the changes in.management i think they do a great job. There is laughter every day and now I love coming to work

Cons

No free meal, lack of communication and need for weekly meeting s

The new management do work very hard and its clear they are under pressure too but it would be good to have a weekly metting as rumours could be sorted out

Barchester expects a lot but gives little

Current Employee - Care Assistant
    Current Employee - Care Assistant

I have been working at Barchester Healthcare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoy my job as carer and the team I work with are dedicated and hard working. We are supported by the head nurses. Training is on going but mainly for legal reasons I feel. We are carers because we care not for our hourly rate which is low.

Cons

There is a distinct lack of communication between management and care staff. Leaving staff feeling very under valued. We are expected to run on limited staff due to client carer ratio. Rightly or wrongly I think care comes before huge profits. No perks for carers, would be nice to have a free lunch on long shifts.

Treat us with respect then you gain respect. Don't try to make changes without consulting the people you rely on. Hold a meeting to explain your reasons, we might surprise you and agree. Threatening us with no shifts if we don't get things done is not my idea of good working relationships. it causes a divide between management and the people who care for our residents. Many residents pay a lot of money and expect quality care which we try our utmost to provide, so, support by management is a crucial aspect of care.

Barchester Healthcare Photos

Lee Watson, Resourcing Advisor, with Barchester's Sunday Times 'Best Big Companies' Award
Barchester's stand at the RCN Congress 2014