Barclays Capital

Barclays Capital Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

110 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Assistant Vice President

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosgood reputation and good management

Conslimited growth opportunites or mobility

Advice to Senior Managementcompensation and salary increases should be according to performance.

Okay-ish

Global Finance Analyst (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsOkay before 2012, great leadership in the investment banking side.

ConsNot so good after 2012; lots of resources removed from investment banking side. Compensation is substantially below par in the industry.

While the experience was rewarding, the firm needs to re-evaluate some senior staff and recent hires

Analyst (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsOne of the largest banks in finance
    Definitely involved in some of the larger well-known transactions

ConsNot a friendly environment, quite hostile
    Not much development available
    A lot of bad press leading to diminished reputation and making it harder to leave

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate hires
    Provide more learning experiences to juniors

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

very much depends on who you work for, the feudal system is alive and well

Investment Banker (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prossmart people and an interest in doing things well , decent pay when you perform well, You can get things done with support and when you fight to get organisational resources allocated to the right things.

Conssenior management too focused on the short term bottom line, not the business growth. The internal feuds between different business silos is depressing, though probably not worse than anywhere else. Currently seems to have zero long term vision

Advice to Senior Managementyou already got rid of the worst offenders, now you need to decide what you want to become..

Well paid but they own you 24/7

IT (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsMoney is good. Nice Office. They had a very good canteen at Canary Wharf in London. Plenty of food & drink establishments close by.

ConsI can sum this up using the advice given to all staff 'Going home to your wife & family at the end of the day is a wasted business opportunity' In my time there I saw people being dragged back from holidays half way round the world for ad-hoc meetings that were a waste of everyones time. I saw a clerical junior being couriered a mobile phone so they could keep asking him stupid questions about unjamming the printer etc. while he was in his hospital bed (then made him redundant a month after he returned so they could save money) I had to work almost all bank holidays even though there was rarely any work to do. I soon learned to take my holidays in places with no phones or mobile signal and tell people all my weekends were being spent at the other end of the country. When I finally left it took me three months to stop jumping every time the phone rang. But I am probably describing every big merchant bank in London. Just make sure you save or invest as much excess salary as you can so you can retire early.

Barclays Rolling contract, good experience working with derivative products, in a front office environment

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGood exposure to staff of high seniority, internal and external clients, knowledge of vanilla and exotic derivative products, training on derivative products and for client meetings, great team environment.

ConsContract base so short term, limited investment in staff, limited responsibility

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest more time in the staff, give more direction, short term goals for longer term responsibility and increased understanding of how the business/project opperates.

Nice people, good flow business

FX Sales (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Pros-Nice people, atmosphere
    -Management approachable and pretty open
    -Good front office systems
    -Comp is good (quite skewed for different people, though)
    -You get lots of opportunities to take on new things if you do well

Cons-Messy middle/back office : hard to get new clients onboarded etc.
    -CEO is cut from different cloth to competitor CEOs and hence his focus is different
    -Has become a bit American in terms of corporate structure/communications
    -Sales and trading teams are a bit hit-and-miss ; not good across the board

Advice to Senior Management-

Excellent employer

Analyst, Global Markets (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsTreat staff well although benefits could b better

ConsAs above, benefits could be improved

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove work life balance

Reassuring

Summer Technology Analyst (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsDefinitely a great experience on the summer intern programme, much better than expected given the outlook on investment banks. Very friendly, open and supportive. The Meet an MD programme is invaluable and unmatchable.

ConsThe general cut-throat, competitive nature of the industry does always lead to bad traits in certain people who wish to trample their way to the top or simply keep others from rising. However as mentioned this was experienced very little and overall great vibe with excellent opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat work on the transformation of the banks image, and even the cheesy new RISES motto does help provide a better working environment! Keep it up.

Senior BA working in IT

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsChallenging environment with interesting projects. Direct access to the business means your knowledge of products is greatly enhanced.

ConsLack of training and cut backs means you have to work harder just tho keep up.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut backs are causing a negative environment.

Worked for Barclays Capital? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays Capital reviews and ratings in London, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barclays Capital CEO Antony Jenkins. All 110 reviews posted anonymously by Barclays Capital employees.