Barclays Capital

Barclays Capital Reviews in New York, NY

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Barclays Capital Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Good work life balance (but depending on role) is the only good thing about working there(in 56 reviews)

• Okay before 2012, great leadership in the investment banking side(in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • There are very long hours which may possibly lead to a poor- work life balance I suppose(in 40 reviews)

• Little opportunity to move, long hours that are sometimes not necessary(in 39 reviews)

234 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Consider any opportunity carefully

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere are many talented and good people working here who provide a good atmosphere when the politics are removed from the equation.

ConsThe political and bureaucratic environment here stifles creativity and eliminates the possibility of internal advancement. Senior management is focused on saving their own careers and will not choose the right thing over the action that carries political weight. Layoffs are common and frequent and the well being of mid and low level staff is not of great concern to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember what it was like when you were working your way up the corporate ladder and remember to balance shareholder value with the well being of the employees that bring success to the company.

Global markets

Summer Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat experience. Comp is good, people are friendly and driven, and tons of interesting problems to work on.

ConsLower in terms of prestige versus some of the other major banks. Lots of groups are pretty understaffed

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on developing teams and the BarCap brand.

Very smart people and great teams from Lehman Brothers - good start to career straight out of college

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood base pay
    Opportunities for training
    Working with smart people on the markets/research side
    Cross Asset research
    Highly ranked research teams

ConsWork-life balance - teams can be quite top heavy
    General sense of disappointment at the CEO
    Bonus at the analyst level are below that of the rest of the street

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technology Analyst- Summer Intern

Summer Technology Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWell organized internship program, great choice in terms of teams with which one work with.

ConsMaybe the internship program could have been more demanding in terms of technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat culture,benefits and work life balance.

Good name brand, but with bureaucracy and politics

Investment Banking Division Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou can rise up the ranks if you are liked by the right people and there is a fair amount of mobility around the firm (worldwide locations)

ConsLots of internal politics and bureaucracy, sometimes junior folks' development is neglected

Watch out for relocation

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood team oriented atmosphere.

ConsWork hours are long and bonus at year end is low low low. Many operation roles have been and will be relocated for firm cost savings initiatives.

Advice to Senior ManagementRotate the schedule amongst the team so not everybody will be required to work long hours.

Struggling with culture

IBD Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNever a bad thing to have an investment bank on your resume
    Learn patience and and hard work, therefore appreciate your next job when you get sick of doing meaningless tasks 80+ hours a week.

ConsYour regular i-banking culture: no work-life balance, don't question senior folks, lots of grunt work
    Combined with Your regular large corporate culture: bureaucratic, political, HR will always find a way to screw you etc.
    Do not rely on getting a decent bonus, IF any. Yes, you might not get one.
    Attrition is darn huge, people fleeing to industry jobs that pay the same base or higher and work a third of the hours, OR boutique advisers or investment firms, where the is less BS.

Advice to Senior ManagementFolks, you have a serious issue with culture on your hand. Wake up.

excellent overall but recent reorganizations, and downward budget pressures and uncertainty have reduced overall morale

Director - IT - Investment Bank (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsPositive culture until recently - very much can get things done attitude typical of tier-one IB's. Diverse smart people culture, very professional attitudes, approachable management

ConsVery heavy on process and lot of bureaucracy for hiring and for IT procurement and change

Advice to Senior ManagementSet clear direction on budget and hiring freezes. Too much change at once without overall clear strategy being communicated - do a few changes well versus trying to compress and change everything in one go

Worst company on Wall Street

Compliance Professional (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSalary. They paid me a ton of money to recruit me to work there.

ConsCulture. The worst political infighting I've ever experienced in my 18 years career on Wall Street. It is also the most bureaucratic firm I've encountered.

Advice to Senior ManagementWell, since old management is dropping like flies, they are on the right track.

Good people, but major disconnect between management and staff

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

Prosovertime pay, many projects to join, friendly analyst staff

Consdownsizing leading to many layoffs in operations, little to no bonus, very tough to move up

Advice to Senior Managementadd more employee develop programs

Worked for Barclays Capital? Contribute to the Community!