Barclays Capital

Barclays Capital Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Barclays Capital Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Good work life balance (but depending on role) is the only good thing about working there (in 56 reviews)

• Okay before 2012, great leadership in the investment banking side (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • There are very long hours which may possibly lead to a poor- work life balance I suppose (in 40 reviews)

• Little opportunity to move, long hours that are sometimes not necessary (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Great summer analyst program

ProsA lot social events for intern to reach out senior employees in the company. Freedom to choose your team with plenty choices

ConsI really cannot think out any cons here. But a few weeks ago, Barclays in AMER laid off many people and now it is in the law suit issue about its dark pool.

Good facilities, smart people.

ProsLengthy vacation policy compared to the street. Fair comp, decent management. Plenty of smart people who on the whole enjoy the work they're doing and are keen to share knowledge.

ConsConstant threat of redundancies. Certain people kept around in a job they aren't qualified for.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake an effort to retain the good workforce you already have rather than striving to find the next cheapest 'low-cost' location.

Used to be great, now disappearing fast

Director (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsWas great until the decision was made to shrink the investment bank. Now, everyone is running for the hills.

ConsLayoffs and more layoffs. Morale is at the all time low.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop shooting yourselves in the foot

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok, come here if no other options

Business Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros-pay, happy to pay what you ask especially for contracting
    -Hours, mostly 8.30 to 5.00
    -midtown location
    -wwell stocked pantry

Cons-Outdated technology (they still have office 2007 and that puts me off) and no interesting projects
    -people keep playing with their phones all day long as work is not really that challenging
    -not very smart and sharp people unlike the top 3 banks of NY ( GS, MS, JPM, BoA)
    -too many people from UK creating two groups of UK vs rest of us
    -there are no cubicles on my floor , trader desk type seating (run for your life!!!!). I don't want to hear that your toilet needs maintenance or that your nanny is late
    -no one seems excited of the work. People are just there to get paid
    -I don't agree with everyone saying the brand name is great. There much better banks out there
    3 weeks into my job and I have this list of cons.. I think it is time for me to run away.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere is the senior management? I don't see any. Oh wait.... London may be...

Good place to work, can be better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLarge company, gain corporate experience, opportunity to move up

Conswork-life balance not great, poor management

Good learning experience

Investment Banking Associate (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIB toolset at bulge bracket

ConsIB lifestyle at bulge bracket

Good pay and benifits, Worst culture

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)

ProsPay and benefits
    Work life balance

ConsHighly political, no value for new ideas, no growth

Great Work experience, Lots of changes

Operations Analyst (Former Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsGood salary and benefits. Working conditions are also very good. All of my managers were extremely supportive and allowed for plenty of networking opportunities.

ConsLots of bureaucracy making promotion very difficult. HR cares more about perception than employees safety.

Can we also have negative stars too?

ETL Tester (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsPeople reading this can end up saying "You might be unlucky." or "It's just only you."
    This company was ok before the Agile migration. At least I would not give any negative feedback if I could not give any positive.
    But unfortunately, I am forced to give negative feedback.
    So, here are the pros
    Management want to do blame game.
    My Boss is much more interested in screwing up people than helping in the project.
    Instead of taking status update, my boss discuss about rumors. That is annoying because I get paid to do work not have fun in the meetings.
    In the meeting my boss blames his boss and ends up firing people who was not even their mistakes.
    After all this our director was taking status meeting after every release. Thank God. At least our director knows what they are doing.
    These guys reduced almost like one thousand dollars (approx) per month in the salary. Really? After all this?

Money was never a issue to me... I would even worked on very low if people were at least friendly.

I have no opinion on how the CEO is. CEO might be good but all people working under him/her are not good.

You are suppose to write about Pros not Cons here!
    "I know right?"

ConsAgile Team was Trash
    Development Team was hostile (I would not be surprised even if they take guns and shoot me)
    Ego problem with management.
    No friendly people even with own Tester Team.

Project manager suddenly shouted in front of all people "Why did you not tested this?" Although I did not tested that piece someone else tested that. I got the blame for that.

I had a situation where three development people yelled at me at same time and looking to that one tester also started to blame me.

Again "It's just only me." But if it happened to me it can happen to anyone.

Finally I have to resign to that place after so much pain.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice to management.
    I guess those people are grown up people and not kids. They came to that position for a reason, because of their achievement. The way I see it they want to do things intentionally.

So Thank you for having me for one year.

So you want to be the "Go To" Bank

Associate, Investment Banking Division (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe experience is priceless; how large corporations operate in spite of themselves.

ConsConstant change at mid level and upper level positions. If you want to join, hang on; the rules will change in a month.

Advice to Senior ManagementTurnover at over 25%, you might want to initiate a 360 degree review process.....

Worked for Barclays Capital? Contribute to the Community!