Barclays Capital Reviews

Updated September 21, 2014
Updated September 21, 2014

Barclays Capital Group CEO Antony Jenkins
Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Good work life balance (but depending on role) is the only good thing about working there (in 56 reviews)

• Okay before 2012, great leadership in the investment banking side (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • There are very long hours which may possibly lead to a poor- work life balance I suppose (in 40 reviews)

• Little opportunity to move, long hours that are sometimes not necessary (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Cut-Throat Investment Bank

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Analyst in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Barclays Capital full-time for more than a year

Pros

I guess the best thing working for Barclays is the fact that you can throw the name around and people will be impressed. Only your colleagues and those close to you will realize that Barclays is just a turn-over machine. If you have no choice and are desperate, I would recommend Barclays but simply as a springboard.

Cons

Barclays is a typical turn-over machine. It does not matter how much time you have put in the firm or how valuable you are for day to day operations. YOU WILL GET THE BOOT! They work you non-stop with no recognition whatsoever and when its time to cut jobs you will be on the list. Only those that are working there because they know someone are the ones receiving the kudos (even those individuals are not safe from the Barclays sword). I personally dealt with upper management and lots of other sections of the firm and most of them had no idea what they were doing.

Barclays needs to do an entire 360 in order to start providing value back their employees. They are only focused on the bottom line and are not focused on retaining top notch talent. As I heard from many vets that it was always not like that at Barclays. They need to return back to what they were pre-financial crisis.

So much potential to be great...

I worked at Barclays Capital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

So much talent, it's amazing to work with such wonderful people. The company was a true melting pot of individuals and backgrounds but everyone came together to focus on achieving the goals that were set. Pay was fair and the flexibility around time off was more than generous.

Cons

Long days, especially outside of the UK. Management in certain areas tends to not appreciate their people and fail to give credit where credit is due. There has been a wholesale shift in the corporate belief system in an attempt to appease the UK press. Sadly, the result of this has been a changing of the guard with senior leadership. Many of the original Barclays Capital leaders have been exited from the organization and are being replaced with Retail Bank personnel. Morale is at an all time low given the number and frequency of redundancies. It's a challenging work environment when you're constantly looking over your shoulder and wondering if this is the round where you are exited. Due to the challenging financial culture, management in technology seems to be focused more on hitting budget numbers than setting a strategy and leading their people. In recent times, it felt as though more effort was being spent on audit remediation than building the strongest product.

Don't forget to say thank you. Be honest with your people. Set a strategy and LEAD. Remove layers of bureaucracy. Give your people the tools and training to succeed.

analyst

I have been working at Barclays Capital as an intern

Pros

great learning experience for interns

Cons

horrible organization structure no long term platform

Don't let mediocre to destroy the firm

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Aggressive, entrepreneurial shop that became too political. Lehman was the nail in the coffin.

I worked at Barclays Capital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

As long as one is politically connected, one can coast for a long, long time here.

Cons

The ex-Lehman mentality has destroyed a once admirable shop.

Fire everyone who came from Lehman.

Overall, it was challenging and fast-paced environment, full of ambitious and hard-working people.

I worked at Barclays Capital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I worked on the trading floor in a sales support capacity and finally in a sales seat. I was never bored or wanting for a challenge. The people around me were energetic and entrepreneurial in nature. I was always surrounded by a stimulating buzz of activity.

Cons

You have to enjoy working with aggressive, hard-charging people. Work-life balance can be out of whack unless you are extremely talented at your role and managing yourself and those around you.

You cannot change people's core values by sending them to classes. You must hire those who live the values and discipline those who do not. Above all, if the vast majority of your managers do not adhere to the company values (known internally by the acronym "RISES") and put them ahead of profits, then the ongoing repair of the company's damaged reputation will fail in the long run.

OK experience - could have been a lot better

I worked at Barclays Capital full-time for more than a year

Pros

Depends on the division, but they are a global brand, which always helps mobility.

Cons

Management was ineffectual, not the brightest tools in the shed.
    The HR function is token and not attuned to the needs of employees.

Memorable, fun, and good culture

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Barclays Capital

Pros

Good training place. Quite a comfortable team environment for me.

Cons

Difficult to get promoted. But it's simile to other banks, have to have somebody to leave to get his position

Great Culture

Current Employee - Global Markets Analyst  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Global Markets Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays Capital as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Friendly working environment. Most of the senior people very approachable. A lot of emphasis on teamwork. They really care about your career development.

Cons

The bank is going through a lot of changes now. Maybe not the best place if you are looking for stability.

A P at BARCAP

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Barclays Capital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nothing that I can think of. Started talking about exit from day 1.

Cons

MD hired knowing he would be firing soon because he accidentally introduced permanent staff as contingency that internally referred to contract folks.

Used to be a great place

Former Employee - Director  in  London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Barclays Capital full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some nice people.
    Nice building.

Cons

It's gotten too large for it's infrastructure.
    It's culture has changed drastically over the years, for the worse.
    Not competitive in compensation with other banks.
    Little opportunity for career advancement.
    Lacked product scope.
    Lacked diversity in senior management.

Worked for Barclays Capital? Contribute to the Community!