Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

Technology Analyst

Technology Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsGreat summer experience. Program incorporated technology experience in job function, networking events, and education on financial market.

ConsGreat experience at the company. See the pros.

Good place to work but a big company so some bureaucracy

Senior Technical Lead (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsGood work life balance, decent compensation, really a meritocracy so if you know you stuff and you know how to relay it, you will do well.

ConsLike all big companies, there is some bureaucracy you need to deal with. This is being reduced so hopefully that hurdle will be eliminated soon.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work to reduce hurdles to getting real work done.

Pretty Decent Place

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsI found it to be a meritocracy, fairly good management, not as aggressive/ competitive as some other large shops. Very smart people and team was always willing to provide support. They have a push towards training. You get out what you put in. If you truly have a desire to rise to the top and are willing to make personnel sacrifices then you will be able to. Fairly good benefits. the new CEO seems very values driven and is ethical.

ConsIt is unstructured so many become disgruntled if they are used to a very precise and directive place. This is partly the culture. There is very high turnover, at least in NYC. I think this is due to the competition for top talent. You are only as good as your last months performance so you have to have an A game at all times. Like any place, it depends on who you are working for. I had a couple great managers who I reported to. A few others I would have been miserable. Competition on the street is fierce, layoffs always hang overhead but this is the same everywhere. Don't work at an investment bank if you expect to ride it out for 20 years on easy street.

Advice to Senior ManagementA little more clarity on what it takes to be a top performer. It is kind of like a black box.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A good bank still struggling to sort itself out

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-Very good employee benefits - healthcare, discount programs, pay, time off
    -The firm gives its employees the resources they need to succeed. There learning management system and career education resources are helpful.

Cons-There's a lot of bureaucracy. Trying to fix a simple IT issue takes a lot of calls and waiting to get in touch with someone that can actually help. Managing projects across the firm is tough...there's a big disconnect between London and New York.

Confused company

Consultant (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCan't find one, really...The best I can say is that they know what is not working. They have no real clue on how to fix it

ConsInternal politics. Confused strategy. Execution is all over the place. Inability to recognize that some people have to be let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have to decide once and for all if quality of business processes are more important than cost cutting measures. You can do one and then the other. You can also do both at the same time but it requires mature business processes and willingness to work at making things happen. Listen to the field people in your other branches. London is not always right, nor are the people there particularly efficient and committed to the company's best interest.

BCUS Revolving Door

Senior Director (Former Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsMany good, loyal and hard-working colleagues.

ConsCliquey culture. Management by committee. Management not connected to business. Complex organization with respect to US business and UK HQ.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to invest in infrastructure.

Confused Strategy

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe quality of employee is high, some great business leadership in some areas, eg Rates.

ConsVery confused restructuring is occurring in an effort to save cost, will likely result in thousands of layoffs in late 14.
    Compensation is well below market, particularly for employees who have stuck with Barclays for 3+ years.

Advice to Senior ManagementReduce the workforce rather than pretending restructuring can drive out cost.

Barclays was a good overall learning experience in many different ways

Investment Banking Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe culture of the firm and some of the employees are truly talented

Cons2 and out program and attitudes reflect this sentiment

Advice to Senior ManagementEmphasize more work-life balance for analysts

Great Company

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsFriendly atmosphere, smart employees and a focus goal.

ConsNeed to offer bonuses to back offices also. Bonus distribution seems to only be focused on upper management and front end individuals.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat improvement in progress.

Good experience. Hopefully "Go To" bank becomes a reality

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHave found people to be of good quality professionally and personally

ConsVery tough regulatory environment in which to operate

Advice to Senior ManagementStay the course and keep communicating regularly with employees.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!