Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

Going downhill

Global Markets Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-Trading Floor is fast paced. Strong rates + credit + EM franchises
    -Not afraid to innovate and use technology to beat competitors
    -Good culture

Cons-Bad management ever since Bob Diamond was forced out
    -Upper management turning focus away from Investment banking and towards safer commercial banking

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to a proper risk/reward level

Company going through many reorganizations

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorldwide company with extensive bank access

ConsConstant changes in management and downsizing

Declining industry

Technology Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsThere is a lot of flexibility in terms of work schedule. Many people work from home sometimes. The work is interesting if you get into the right team. Great training programs. Some internal mobility for employees who have been working at the company for a bit of time.

ConsLack of transparency from upper management. Promotion politics. Lack of compensation for employees who perform above expectations. Lack of ability to retain talent and innovate. Every week, you see a person leave the team or a new contractor being hired onto the team - causes lack of teamwork and overall knowledge of projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate people according to their performance. Don't treat your employees as interchangeable parts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent place to work

Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsExcellent colleagues, Good benefits, Fast paced environment.

ConsLot of reshuffling happens at regular intervals

Summer Intern

Intern (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsLots of fellow interns, valuable experience, fantastic networking opportunities

ConsIf I had to pick one, it's the city of Wilmington

Advice to Senior ManagementSustain the size of this great internship program

Amazing Internship experience... excited to return Full Time

Summer Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsHeavy emphasis on internship program
    Very flat hierarchy and extremely friendly people
    Never experienced a friendlier work environment

ConsLong hours if in IB division
    Not as large of a name because the bank id headquartered in London

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep focusing on the internship program! It will pay off.

Hemorrhaging cash, BWA cuts bonuses and makes VPs do the work of 3 people

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsGreat research - name recognition...that's about it. It's very difficult to think of any other pros, honestly. People seem to be defecting left & right.

Conscut-throat culture; local Managing Director has a poor reputation in the industry and creates a challenging & hostile work environment; rather than fostering a team environment, mentorship and advocacy among subordinates and across business lines. It's a real morale killer. Sr. Mngmt pushes reps to sell proprietary structured products & ETNs, even if not suitable.

Advice to Senior Managementdon't hire people without proper due diligence to avoid bringing on-board another Firm's "throw-away"

Technical Lead

Technical Lead (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsWork-life balance is good and do no unforeseen lay-offs.

ConsNo technology initiatives. No visionary technocrats left in the organization.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior leaders are no clue what is going on working level and technical background.

Unprofessional

Credit Risk Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome really good collegues. Excellent place to get a pay bump.

ConsHighly unstructured and unprofessional work environment. It seems like there is a general lack of cohesiveness and directionality with projects from the management. Almost everything is trapped in the world of ad-hoc requests and one can never see any of their work come to fruition. Though the money can be very attractive, I did not see this place as a good next step in my career. .

It's a good place to work if you don't mind a slow pace

Assistant Vice President IT (Current Employee) Jersey City, NJ

ProsStable position, boss is understanding and flexible regarding time off. Vacation is encouraged and there is good morale within my team. Sharp people in my division.

ConsThings move quite slowly. Successful initiatives require political connections more so than business cases. Operations are run out of the UK and you feel it here in the US. Limited career mobility upward with a "curve" grading system for reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management is great and I feel strongly about their capabilities. The trouble comes with middle management and cultural attitudes that seem to favor a "can't do" attitude. A lot of teams prefer to not "rock the boat" and that culture needs to change. We need to seek solutions not present problems.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!