Barclays

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

104 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

one confused organisation

Risk and Control (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

Prosgreat people, talented people, beautiful offices and great facilities

Consvolume of org changes, very confusing. over reliance on junior staff

Advice to Senior Managementstop changing structures and get out of bed from IB

Good Employer

Vice President (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGood experienced staff, reasonable focus on L&D and excellent share incentive scheme for the employees.

ConsA bit old school, people in same roles for a number of years - lacks innovations.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more brave and less bureaucratic - There are more directors and MD's than required. Can easily do with loosing at least 20% of the work force in the back ops.

Contracting and culture not changing

Director (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsScale and opportunity to do different things

ConsActions do not match words when talk of values and changing culture. Workforce treated as resources in a short termist way rather than long term partners in achieving the corporate goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink beyond this budget in your planning and how you treat staff.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Like banging your head against a brick wall of bureaucracy on a daily basis

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGood renumeration, benefits, great holiday & pension. Supportive management. Nice offices.

ConsVery difficult to turn ideas into actions, was always a struggle to get things to happen.

A truly awful culture; political, blame, "jobs for the boys/girls" - avoid at all costs

Director, Operations (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsMoney - they have to pay high end to get anyone to work there
    Benefits - the pension, insurance and stock options are pretty good
    mmmm that's it

ConsSenior Management know they are fighting a losing cause so surround themselves with "yes" people and pull up the drawbridge.
    Presentee-ism culture - and backward looking - they block the use of Social media in this day and age!!!
    Execution driven and cant stick to a plan, strategy...analysis and forward thinking are non existent
    Huge distrust between Management and middle ranks
    There own self defined definition of "Talent" is "The top 200" or "SLG" - nothing else matters and forget the notion of talent rising through the ranks - they just buy in at the top. Even supported by what is well known to be the worst HR Management in FTSE.
    CEO is slowly smothering the cash cow Investment Bank rather that re-structure the company properly.
    The "culture change" programme has been a flop - C suite think by "sheep dipping" 100,000 employees through a 2 hour culture session it will change the company's culture!!!
    Have a look at the Salz Review and see how Barclays has missed nearly every target set for sustainable change

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a vision that isn't just about appeasing regulators and stick to it!
    Value and understand your people - you just don't and the current HR are incapable of this.
    Change your HRLT; they are a laughing stock in the City and climbing over each other to curry favour with C suite rather than attract, retain, develop and reward Talent.

A difficult place to work right now

Personal Banker (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsGood added benefits on top of your salary , reduced child care , gym membership , insurances etc that can be taken out of pre tax pay .
    Fantastic team of people to work with.
    Real innovation in moving the business forward so it is sustainable in the future.

ConsThe customers that come into the branch do not want the changes that are being implemented and are rude and abusive to the staff on a daily basis.
    Long working hours .
    Staff leaving and not being replaced, the rest of the team having to pick up their work load .

Advice to Senior ManagementRealise that the people in the branches are working 8 or 9 hour days with no or little breaks and not being able to claim overtime due to this breaking 'values' .

Dissapointed

Corporate Credit Manager (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsI worked with a fantastic team, in a nice office. As we were far enough away from 1CP (global HQ) we had the freedom to enjoy a good work/life balance, and were monitored on the quality of our work rather than the amount of face time we put in (which is what colleagues at bigger offices tell me is the main thing they're judged on)

ConsLack of opportunities for progression.
    Inept management and leadership by MOST on all levels of the organisation.
    Uncompetitive compensation cf. elsewhere in the industry - no rewards for loyalty (several of my colleagues left the bank, then returned in the same job for much higher wages as an external candidate).
    Complete global ban on travel hinders business.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart treating your staff with more Respect - RISES needs to be top down.
    Make compensation compared to income derived for the bank more consistent across the business units. The Investment bank gets far too much compared to colleagues elsewhere.
    Don't be so tied to the vertical silos that exist in the organisation - I think it's ridiculous that HR denied a job transfer I was offered to a different department.
    If you're going to bring in blanket measures like the travel ban, make sure there is infrastructure in place (VC etc.) to allow colleagues to continue to do their jobs.
    End the unending, unflinching assault on cost - Barclays used to be about offering a good service at a reasonable price, now you just seem to be chasing for the lowest cost, and then offering terrible service levels.

Not what it was!

Various (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsWell it's a job but nothing like it was even 20 years ago. I left an organisation which I'd worked for for 35 years felling relieved to be out of it.

ConsThe bank still maintains a target driven culture that inadvertently encourages bad behaviours across the board. "Bonuses" at the branch / call centre level are unreliable and frankly subjective.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your older long serving staff. Ask them how the bank used to run for the benefit of customers, shareholders and staff.

Meritocracy nothing but a buzzword

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsYou work together with very talented people.

At least during my time a good name to have on your resume.

ConsThe company is extremely political. The one thing you need to know is you will only get promoted if you have a good relationship to your management. Performance of course is part of that, but unfortunately by far not the most important one. Far from the meritocracy they promote when hiring you.

Pay. Gets smaller by the year. And an increasing workload as they keep cutting people.

Culture and morale. The culture is far from cooperative. You have to be lucky to get into a good team. My management didn't care one bit about what I was doing. Morale is extremely low since from the very beginning that I've been there they like to have job cutting rounds twice a year. You just wait to see if you're part of the next one.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs a serious change in culture. I truly hope the big cuts announced now will be the last ones as I fail to see why anyone would want to work in such an environment for any longer time.

Politics and reorgs

Director (Current Employee)
    London, England (UK)

ProsBring your own device to use on the wifi

ConsThe most political place I've ever worked! Very old fashioned development methods and poor technologists.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays reviews and ratings in London, England — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barclays CEO Antony Jenkins. All 104 reviews posted anonymously by Barclays employees.