Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

Very lucky experience with my team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe structure of the Finance Graduate Program was ideal for a first job out of school, providing a well-rounded training curriculum and an opportunity to learn about all the different areas within in Finance. I can say that there was a recognition of the higher-performing graduate analysts, and that they were rewarded with the placements they sought out.

ConsThere is a lack of true cohesion among all teams not only inter-departmentally, but also within Finance itself. Many teams seek to "protect" themselves rather than all constructively work together toward a greater purpose. Collective morale also took a big blow with all the high, senior-level misdeeds and the associated bad press.

Great place to start a career in finance

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsInvestment banking at Barclays provides a great learning experience for college graduates.

ConsCompensation is never above the street.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance could improve if not the compensation, early promotions could help to retain talent

Very good personal experience in small team but overall organization needs a great deal of work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDIrect managers are extremely caring and a joy to work for. Flexibility, boss is extremely understanding of all outside factors. Work/Life Balance provides opportunity to focus on family life. Down to earth colleagues make for a collegial environment. Independence to build, own and manage processes lets you make what you want of your role.

ConsVery bureaucratic, it takes forever to get an answer or an approval due to countless layers and endless mixed messaging. Extremely slow pace for anything.
    Compensation was flat out bad and promotion process is inconsistent. No focus improving, just a focus on cutting costs. Very volatile organization with no stability due to lots of layoffs and a revolving door of employees. Communication is lacking as folks make decisions in isolation. Directors sit with their doors closed and many colleagues ignore emails and do not return voicemails.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify, mitigate then eliminate the extreme bureaucracy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ehhhh.

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsMost of the people I have met are very helpful. Great health benefits, 401k match.

ConsPromotion process is unclear and completely different depending on the area of the bank you work in. There are seemingly people with titles who shouldn't have them as they don't do anything, or know what you would expect them to know for having that title. Executive management does not appear to have a pulse on all the negative sentiment that exists internally. Not a fun place to work. Direct mgmt seemingly doesn't care about it's staff. It's not a growing company, it's a shrinking one. No raises for years. Seemingly impossible to get an interview internally without knowing someone. HR is the worst. They are slow to respond: to queries, job submissions, etc. completely unhelpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a complete overhaul. All the money spent paying McKinnsey for the review has seemingly been wasted for the moment.

Ok when Bob D used to run things. It has fallen apart after his departure.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsGood internal mobility
    Good international mobility

ConsTerrible pay
    People paying too much attention to how long you've been away from your desk

Advice to Senior ManagementLess of the "values" and "go-to bank", more about how to make money

A great experience and enjoyed the team and technical work environment.

ETL Backend Tester (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsGot well together, amazing infrastructure and amazing team support. Flexibility in timings. Wonderful learning experience. Great platform to exhibit self ingrained skills.

Conssome challenges i have encountered here is I took a little of time for me to first catch hold of the financial sector and its intricacies.

awesome

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosamazing place to work, fun environment

Consnone that i could possibly thing of

Worst management

Event Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you are a consultant, great place to work

ConsTerrible management. Unrealistic expectations for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementOf you rate employees on expectations, management should live up to those expectations themselves

Technology Analyst

Analyst, Information Technology (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsNice work-life balance.
    Definite opportunity for growth.
    Exposure to wide array of technologies.

ConsNot very tech-oriented.
    Management is set in their ways.
    Scope for innovation in technology is limited.

Not typical IB bank

ProsWork life balance
    Relatively reasonable work hours as compared to other IB banks

ConsToo big
    Does not pay
    Used to promote, now the policy changed. No promotions anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many policy changes from manageement

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!