Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance (in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management (in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Human Resources Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsIt provided me a great global exposure

ConsThere are no Benefits - health, paid leaves etc.

Android Developer Contract

Software Developer (Former Employee) Plano, TX

ProsGood colleagues, good work life balance

ConsBureaucratic style, No growth, No contract to full time chance

Very lucky experience with my team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe structure of the Finance Graduate Program was ideal for a first job out of school, providing a well-rounded training curriculum and an opportunity to learn about all the different areas within in Finance. I can say that there was a recognition of the higher-performing graduate analysts, and that they were rewarded with the placements they sought out.

ConsThere is a lack of true cohesion among all teams not only inter-departmentally, but also within Finance itself. Many teams seek to "protect" themselves rather than all constructively work together toward a greater purpose. Collective morale also took a big blow with all the high, senior-level misdeeds and the associated bad press.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to start a career in finance

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsInvestment banking at Barclays provides a great learning experience for college graduates.

ConsCompensation is never above the street.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance could improve if not the compensation, early promotions could help to retain talent

Head of Latin American Interest Rate and FX Valuations

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsYou're pretty much left alone to direct your own career

ConsExtremely limited opportunities within the firm. Can't keep its name out of the news

Very good personal experience in small team but overall organization needs a great deal of work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsDIrect managers are extremely caring and a joy to work for. Flexibility, boss is extremely understanding of all outside factors. Work/Life Balance provides opportunity to focus on family life. Down to earth colleagues make for a collegial environment. Independence to build, own and manage processes lets you make what you want of your role.

ConsVery bureaucratic, it takes forever to get an answer or an approval due to countless layers and endless mixed messaging. Extremely slow pace for anything.
    Compensation was flat out bad and promotion process is inconsistent. No focus improving, just a focus on cutting costs. Very volatile organization with no stability due to lots of layoffs and a revolving door of employees. Communication is lacking as folks make decisions in isolation. Directors sit with their doors closed and many colleagues ignore emails and do not return voicemails.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify, mitigate then eliminate the extreme bureaucracy.

Experience at Company -- not good

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsLaid back. Great events. Good compensation - ask for a good starting salary because it won't be changing once in.

ConsProjects are constantly put on hold. Managers have no experience. It's all about who you know and no one does any work except for the people who have their visa sponsored. Everyone is in fear of losing their job all the time in most groups.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your act together before this company collapses and your careers are destroyed.

A great experience and enjoyed the team and technical work environment.

ETL Backend Tester (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE

ProsGot well together, amazing infrastructure and amazing team support. Flexibility in timings. Wonderful learning experience. Great platform to exhibit self ingrained skills.

Conssome challenges i have encountered here is I took a little of time for me to first catch hold of the financial sector and its intricacies.

awesome

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosamazing place to work, fun environment

Consnone that i could possibly thing of

Worst management

Event Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsIf you are a consultant, great place to work

ConsTerrible management. Unrealistic expectations for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementOf you rate employees on expectations, management should live up to those expectations themselves

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!