Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

Awful, do not come here

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsMoney is good, Canary Wharf is pleasant, there are some good individuals

ConsThe worst kind of investment bankers, especially in IT... Team work is unheard of

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down... The place is toxic

Truly inspirational and groundbreaking.

ProsThe team is a major motivation, the benefits package which barclays provide is also outstanding

ConsSome of the targets are out of reach as they set by colleagues who do not work in that particular sector, thus not understanding the challenges we face on a daily basis

Advice to Senior ManagementTake time to understand your staff and the way they work. Dont just look at black and white figures, they do not describe an individual

Absolutely terrible

Customer Advisor (Former Employee) Middlesbrough, England (UK)

ProsIt's nice to say you work for a top bank

ConsThey almost seem to target Managers for sacking people. Terrible environment. Charge people for a cup of tea. No flexibility regarding sickness - 3 strikes and you're out. Use of poor recruitment agencies, so people coming onboard were useless.... where should I end this list - I could keep going for hours?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Firstsource - your customers are your income stream, and they are mismanaging their accounts. Your Managers leave confidential documents lying around the building. Your employees live under constant threat of redundancy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Top bank undergoing restructure.

Quant Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat history and great staff. Could be great again if restructure is done correctly.

ConsLost a lot of good people during the current restructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on with the restructure and reduce uncertainty.

Started off all right...

Project Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGot to try out a few roles when I started, got some good experience and training, and (while not relevant to me) they supposedly allowed for a good work-life balance for working mums.

ConsChange after change after change. Everyone was constantly ready for battle, knowing you'd be at risk every 6 months meant everyone was fighting against their colleagues, doing anything they can to make themselves look better. Projects regularly started and thrown aside, wasting time and money and killing motivation. Hoops to jump through at every stage.

Good work environment, good career growth opportunities, brand name, values based, good exposure based on your profile

Assistant Manager - Global Business Transformation (Current Employee) Chennai (India)

ProsEmployee concerned, good career growth for hard workers & good paying organization

ConsCan't recollect any - none

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee recognition should be improved

Very lucky experience with my team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe structure of the Finance Graduate Program was ideal for a first job out of school, providing a well-rounded training curriculum and an opportunity to learn about all the different areas within in Finance. I can say that there was a recognition of the higher-performing graduate analysts, and that they were rewarded with the placements they sought out.

ConsThere is a lack of true cohesion among all teams not only inter-departmentally, but also within Finance itself. Many teams seek to "protect" themselves rather than all constructively work together toward a greater purpose. Collective morale also took a big blow with all the high, senior-level misdeeds and the associated bad press.

It was rich and rewarding experience with Barclays. Was there for two years and found that it offered a good platform.

Associate Vice President (Former Employee) Mumbai (India)

ProsWonderful Brand name. Excellent Working culture.

ConsTheir businesses exited a few countries while still doing well. This I felt was unusual strategy

Advice to Senior ManagementPatience in Emerging Nations helps a ton. Need to be in business in such countries (India, Dubai, Russia) for longer duration to actually exploit the potential of business opportunity.

Working at Barclays is completely educational

Resourcing & Talent Manager (Former Employee) Cairo (Egypt)

ProsBarclays is very structural with a full set of policies and procedures. It is very helpful to find everything set and clear.

ConsEnvironment is very competitive with a prejudice for grades among employees. Fluctuations of salary among same level. Barclays expansion was not well studied with defects in infrastructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to take small steps that are well studies.

The worst experience I have ever had in my life

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Liverpool, England (UK)

ProsThe paid me on time and sometimes early if it was a weekend but the staff incentives for having accounts had been lowered over the years.

ConsBullying managers at branch level.I almost had a breakdown due to the pressure put on me.Targets and profits is all they are interested in.Even when it was raised as high as I could go nothing changed.I met some great people who had suffered at the hand of this this "go to bank."variation management" is another word for measuring your sales targets. The new moral high ground which was supposed to change the whole bank has not changed a thing.My friends who still work there are the people I feel really bad for.

Advice to Senior ManagementCall sales targets what they are, consider rooting out the bad sales type mangers who have little or no management skills other then threatening to put you on an improvement plan if you don't sell more, Treat your staff better and the staff would be more productive.There is an underlying culture of fear and the behinds the scenes back patting is evident to everybody who works there.You tend to hire people based on who you like and the politics involved.The new moral code you have will be useless if you don't root out the large percentage of the management who seek to protect themselves.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!