Barclays Wealth Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.7
Peter Horrell

Pros
  • work life balance and training is good (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits was the only good thing in this place (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management run the place like personal fiefdoms (in 10 reviews)

• No work life balance, very political (in 5 reviews)

1. Very cumbersome business, far too many layers of management to get things changed.

Current Employee - International Relationship Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - International Relationship Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barclays Wealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. Fairly easy job for the money, opportunity to progress if you really want to. Some very smart colleagues

Cons

Lack of direction from management. Too quick to change focus Often it's like a playground and he who shouts loudest gets noticed. Seem to promote a lot of wrong 'uns!

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy and stick to it for more than 6 months and see what happens!

2. Great company to gain knowledge and experience

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barclays Wealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of training provided, Nice bunch to people to work with, very supportive and helpful.

Cons

Pay is not up to the market rate, No bonus

3. Great fun, hard work, very political

Former Employee - Operations in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Operations in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good compensation fixed comp and bonus

Cons

No work life balance, very political

Rollercoaster ride gone wrong

Former Employee - Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Barclay's pay well and most of the staff are good people. Strong brand good for CV. IT Dept has good mature processes

Cons

No technical career paths. Strong blame culture, to often the focus is 'Who Done it' not 'What's wrong and how do we fix it!' Too much cost cutting in wrong areas, eg travel, face to face meetings restricted yet management and execs go to large 'Conference' Then brag about posh rooms in expensive hotels.

Myopic, out of control. Hates its clients.

Current Employee - Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barclays Wealth (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lovely people to start with. They really do employ top talent at the lower level.

Cons

Systems nightmare Bullying Accountability is absent Strategy is absent Focus on values is hysterical....senior and mid management take decisions that directly oppose the values. Hr is management protection Political behemoth. Staggerring that it is still in business. Anti client experience at all levels.

Advice to Management

Close it down.

Getting worse

Former Employee - Intranet Developer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Intranet Developer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are no pros other than reasonable compensation

Cons

Complete lack of respect for employees. This is an environment of bullying, horrendous overwork, unreasonable demands and chronic understaffing in operational areas. The culture they talked about in the Americas is the culture that Kalaris created throughout the firm. All management are interested in is offshoring UK staff and quieting dissent. Morale is the lowest I have ever encountered. A truly horrible environment I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Work life balance? A joke.

Advice to Management

none - they don't listen, let alone care. I have nothing positive to say about Barclays Wealth, and believe it or not, it used to be a fair company to work for.

8. Professional, well funded, focuses on employee satisfaction and client satisfaction equally.

Current Employee - Team Leader in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barclays Wealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Large company, lots of opportunity, good salaries, a meritocracy as opposed to the "it's who you know" approach to promotion that I've seen in other companies.

Cons

Can be very bureaucratic, to the point of getting in the way of doing the right thing.

Advice to Management

Review your processes and get rid of the barriers.

Understaffed, Overworked, a pressure cooker

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barclays Wealth full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Compensation package is good outwith London

Cons

Lots of managers, constant reduction of support staff Crazy hours expected, be prepared to be burnt out. Intensely political, lots of bureaucracy. No autonomy for anyone under AVP / VP level. Self seeking managers can thrive and destroy teamwork

Advice to Management

Stop hectoring and start supporting. Lot of very unhappy staff.

10. Boring

Former Employee - Banking Office Executive in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Banking Office Executive in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Colleagues and bosses were all very nice, they also allowed me to reduce my hours to accomodate my husbands shift hours.

Cons

Position was not suitable due to a shift pattern which I was not required to do unless I remained as a permanent member of staff. The job I had to do was very boring and tedious, however it was a means to an end and allowed me to look for other positions more suitable. I found the department to be very unflexible with permanent staff members with regards to working hours which caused them to look elsewhere for jobs.

Advice to Management

It can be very difficult employing a temporary worker, but if this is a means to make them permanent staff, you shouldn't waste time using them to do boring jobs as this does not inspire them to remain as a permanent employee. You also take a very long time to go through your interviewing process which is very off putting.

Horrendous period - such a bad reputation that reputable agencies don't do business for fear of ruining careers.

Former Employee - Vice President - Ops Change in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Vice President - Ops Change in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

Pros

Household name obviously; huge multinational presence, kudos, also posh titles (for those obsessed by the VP title), and the IT systems were great - dead easy to be working from home as I did when working with remote teams.

Cons

I worked with Barclays as a student back in the 90s. I thought I was going back to a fantastic position doing delivery and stakeholder engagement. What I suffered (along with other shortlived VPs and directors who voted with their feet), was truly horrendus. Incompetent people came in, brought very junior like pals and gave them VPS and director positions, when they could not lead themselves out of a paper bag. There is also a very strong feminist culture within Barclays Wealth, with the vast majority of senior roles going to women. Change was managed in a chaotic manner, there was no strategy, and people were forced to use templates from another bank that the head of change decided to bring with her to Barclays - including the confidential details of staff being made redundant at RBS due to off shoring!

Advice to Management

You have lost and continue to lose good people by misselling the roles you have on offer - sort out the warring factions between Bar Wealth and Bar Cap

RSS Feed </> Embed