Barclays Wealth
www.barclayswealth.com London, United Kingdom

Barclays Wealth Reviews in Glasgow, Scotland

Barclays Wealth – New York – “metlife building”

Barclays Wealth CEO Tom Kalaris

Tom Kalaris

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Professional, well funded, focuses on employee satisfaction and client satisfaction equally.

Team Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays Wealth full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLarge company, lots of opportunity, good salaries, a meritocracy as opposed to the "it's who you know" approach to promotion that I've seen in other companies.

ConsCan be very bureaucratic, to the point of getting in the way of doing the right thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview your processes and get rid of the barriers.

Getting worse

Intranet Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere are no pros other than reasonable compensation

ConsComplete lack of respect for employees. This is an environment of bullying, horrendous overwork, unreasonable demands and chronic understaffing in operational areas. The culture they talked about in the Americas is the culture that Kalaris created throughout the firm.

All management are interested in is offshoring UK staff and quieting dissent. Morale is the lowest I have ever encountered. A truly horrible environment I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

Work life balance? A joke.

Advice to Senior Managementnone - they don't listen, let alone care. I have nothing positive to say about Barclays Wealth, and believe it or not, it used to be a fair company to work for.

Understaffed, Overworked, a pressure cooker

I have been working at Barclays Wealth full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCompensation package is good outwith London

ConsLots of managers, constant reduction of support staff
Crazy hours expected, be prepared to be burnt out.
Intensely political, lots of bureaucracy.
No autonomy for anyone under AVP / VP level.
Self seeking managers can thrive and destroy teamwork

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hectoring and start supporting. Lot of very unhappy staff.

Boring

Banking Office Executive (Former Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time for less than a year

ProsColleagues and bosses were all very nice, they also allowed me to reduce my hours to accomodate my husbands shift hours.

ConsPosition was not suitable due to a shift pattern which I was not required to do unless I remained as a permanent member of staff. The job I had to do was very boring and tedious, however it was a means to an end and allowed me to look for other positions more suitable. I found the department to be very unflexible with permanent staff members with regards to working hours which caused them to look elsewhere for jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt can be very difficult employing a temporary worker, but if this is a means to make them permanent staff, you shouldn't waste time using them to do boring jobs as this does not inspire them to remain as a permanent employee. You also take a very long time to go through your interviewing process which is very off putting.

Horrendous period - such a bad reputation that reputable agencies don't do business for fear of ruining careers.

Vice President - Ops Change (Former Employee)

I worked at Barclays Wealth

ProsHousehold name obviously; huge multinational presence, kudos, also posh titles (for those obsessed by the VP title), and the IT systems were great - dead easy to be working from home as I did when working with remote teams.

ConsI worked with Barclays as a student back in the 90s. I thought I was going back to a fantastic position doing delivery and stakeholder engagement. What I suffered (along with other shortlived VPs and directors who voted with their feet), was truly horrendus. Incompetent people came in, brought very junior like pals and gave them VPS and director positions, when they could not lead themselves out of a paper bag. There is also a very strong feminist culture within Barclays Wealth, with the vast majority of senior roles going to women. Change was managed in a chaotic manner, there was no strategy, and people were forced to use templates from another bank that the head of change decided to bring with her to Barclays - including the confidential details of staff being made redundant at RBS due to off shoring!

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have lost and continue to lose good people by misselling the roles you have on offer - sort out the warring factions between Bar Wealth and Bar Cap

Worked for Barclays Wealth? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays Wealth reviews and ratings in Glasgow, Scotland — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barclays Wealth CEO Tom Kalaris. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by Barclays Wealth employees.