Barclays Wealth Reviews

Updated March 23, 2015
124 reviews filtered by
2.4
Peter Horrell

Pros
  • Decent benefits and work-life balance, hours are average (in 6 reviews)

• Good benefits was the only good thing in this place (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management run the place like personal fiefdoms (in 10 reviews)

• Poor pay, work life balance, some areas are concerned about perception than what you deliver (in 5 reviews)

1. great

I worked at Barclays Wealth

Pros

big name barclays bank finance

Cons

not intense barclays bank finance

nothing

2. High net worth desk at Barclays Wealth

Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Barclays Wealth

Pros

Good training; people oriented; learn about all parts of the bank

Cons

Difficult to move up; you don't know any products or specific offerings well- typically only enough to sell. Even overall portfolio allocation is done by a separate, dedicated team.

3. Good resources, poor management

I worked at Barclays Wealth

Pros

Good resources at hand and a lot of work to do

Cons

Can improve on the management aspects

5. Culture Shift from Lehman PIM Divison and Lots of Attrition, but Overall Decent Experience Given Financial Environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Market hours (comparatively to other finance roles), nice office, clear career development paths and training, one of the best HR departments I have experienced

Cons

Definitely felt like we were the ugly step-sister to Barclays Capital when it came to investing in the future of the investment platform and business

More transparency, should focus on bettering the relationship with the investment bank

Its ok

Former Employee - Support in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Support in New York, NY

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and work-life balance, hours are average.

Cons

Outdated technology, management is clueless, no room for growth, a lot of turnover.. a lot of layoffs and in result great talent has left. Salary average at best.

You need to value your employees.

7. Great work experience for an entry level hire.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Really talented, smart, ambitious employees contribute to a high functioning organization. Relatively flat hierarchy so plenty of access to senior leadership. Entrepreneurial environment makes for a place you can get experience contributing to a variety of projects.

Cons

You can invest 25 hours a day and bring your A+ game and it doesn't feel like enough to get the job done. Work never feels finished and leadership forgets to appreciate your work in any real form/fashion, monetarily or not.

Give people some time off and be sincere about work life balance. Take the time to openly appreciate each and every one of your team members for a job well done. And mean it!

What a mess!

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I wish I had something positive to say about this bank. Unfortunately, I do not. It has been riddled with scandal after scandal and remains only a shell of its former self. As banks cycle through these sorts of problems on a fairly regular basis, I am sure Barclays will rise again but not for a good long while.

Cons

The recruitment was amazing! Barclays recruited me over the course of 11 months. It took that long to organization a package that I and my family could live with. Within 21 days of my coming onboard, the entire management that had recruited me so carefully had all been replaced. All promises made with no long in effect and I found myself scrambling. Horrible experience!

Management out of touch with reality

Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at Barclays Wealth full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits with flexible working hours. Working from home is always an option

Cons

There is no accountability for poor performance. Management lives in it's own little boys club patting themselves on the back preaching this "Go to bank" nonsense as vrevenues fall and clients run out the door. The amount of self righteous notifications to their employees on how the Transform plan is working out is sickening as they continue to miss revenue estimates.

turn yourselves in a let them pick redo the whole executive management.

Rogue bank with law breaking, whistleblower breaking culture

Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent offices, good third party managers, weak control and non existent compliance

Cons

Constant law, rule and reg. breaking, finra and sec violations daily is usa. Retaliation from management if you complain about it. Policies that screw clients of best returns and deliver false performance reports to clients

Terminate all lehman era management and boiler room managers

Senior Analyst, FICC GLOBAL OPERATIONS

Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at Barclays Wealth full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Over-Time plus Time and a Half

Cons

1. Long hours - It is a prison for work and you will not be recognized for your hard work and successes. Working in global operations, a regular day could begin at 7/7:30 AM and ended around 7 PM/8 PM - 11 PM or 12 PM some nights. Only stepped outside for 15 mins to grab lunch and ate at my desk. This was a typical day.

2. Poorly managed organization - Management is narrow-minded, hypocritical, and narcissistic - apres Lehman days. Your mistakes will be magnified under a telescope and you will be constantly pushed to do more.

3. Professionalism and social respect is obsolete. - Barclays is not an institution upholding integrity and respect. It does not encourage sharing knowledge and learning from each other. Management sets the standard and have the only prerogative to come in, get the job done, and leave. Senior leads and management buddy up and turn their heads in bias. Do not bother questioning if what you do is right or wrong, management will not listen. People actually had the audacity to yell at each other on the floor. This was appualing.

4. Technology is Legacy - Difficult to use and puts the bank at major potential risk. All at operational cost. Bank is stuck on old ways (technology) and so it seems to be that management is stuck on old perspectives as well.

5. HR does nothing to your concern.

I WAS RELIEVED TO LEAVE. Working for Barclays was THE WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE. I have worked 3 years at an equally top-teir investment bank prior to this position, and now at a another, and my experiences are a great contrast to Barclays.

You can learn from those who work for you. You are only as strong as your weakest link.
    Really get to understand the people who work for you. That is the only way to be successful.

Encourage a positive and professional team culture, even in the worst of times.
    Encourage a learning atmosphere.
    Do not play favorites. You just make yourself look like a bad manager.

Listen to your subordinates. There's no such thing as a "dumb question".

Barclays Wealth Photos