Barco

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Eric Van Zele

Worked for Barco for over 10 years, company is great to explore different culture.

Engineer Technician (Former Employee) Beaverton, OR

ProsExperienced lots of cross functional activities from manufacturing to research and design

ConsHad no opportunity to grow professionally

Good company

ProsGood environment to work and good technology

Consmanager are not approachable

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease be more friendly

High-tech Giant in Belgium making a name worldwide.

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsBarco never rests on its laurels, it seeks to find new products to introduce into the market through either acquisition or R&D.

ConsBarco fails to reward the loyalty of its good employees and does not hold accountable it's poor employees. You have too many employees there just collecting a check.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of those employees that add value to Barco and terminate those that do not.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Trying hard, but not always succeeding.

Manager (Former Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsInteresting to work for a European headquartered company. Benefits are pretty good. The overall workplace is fairly nice, depending on which business unit for which you work. The CEO is smart and has really turned the company around. His policies make sense for the most part.

ConsHeadquarters can sometimes insert a heavy hand. Local management is hit-or-miss and the company has more to do to remove the silos among the different business units so that the customers are not affected.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is little or no pathway for career growth. They give lip service to work-life balance but there is little actually done to assist with this, at least in North America.

Good people, ineffective upper management!

(Current Employee) Rancho Cordova, CA

ProsFairly stable (for now), relaxed environment. Work can be interesting, most people are nice. Work life balance is good and their very flexible. It's really not a bad place to work, all in all.

ConsMeaningless review system, no career path, forget about promotions, very draconian guidelines for moving to the next level, even if your manager ever talked about them (which they don't). The raises are poor, barely more than inflation. Seems to have lots and lots of layers of ineffective management. Senior management never replaces anyone when they leave, do more with less mentality. I guess they fear having to layoff, which is understandable, but that is what contractors are for.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn the difference between cultures in regard to what your employees expectations are, and you'll be more competitive. The world is not Europe. Don't just insert a warm body into a role, when someone quits. People can't perform 5 different jobs and still be effective.

Great employees, but upper management was somewhat difficult to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsSome of the smartest people I've ever worked with! The company culture is friendly and there is a lot that you learn working here.

ConsDealing with upper management was always a challenge. Instead of hiring more employees, management continues to put on more jobs to their existing employees, making it difficult for employees to do their actual job.

Good Experience

ProsFriendly people. good learning experience

Conslocation is not ideal. it is not situated close to downtown

Barco is an excellent company to work for.

Senior Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGreat salary, good benefits, easy-going people, smart people, focus on doing the right thing first time, supportive, good work-life balance, plus I get to travel to Belgium! The company does a lot to help employees be better at the job. The company also is a recognized leader in the industry adding to the feeling of pride for working there.

ConsCommunication could be better but it is largely due to cultural differences between Belgians and Americans and management is working to improve the situation.

Advice to Senior Managementcontinue to embrace cultural differences

Barco Inc; A Good and fun place to work

Finance Department (Current Employee) Duluth, GA

ProsGood Company; Fun place to work depending upon the business line

ConsDo not pay very well;

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees at market

Pathetic management, top-heavy, bull-headed, crony capitalism

Principal Engineer (Former Employee) Duluth, GA

Proslegacy product-line holding, new avenues promising...

ConsNo strategy for building future other than acquire competitors, smaller companies...
    Too belgian centric, no global view, eurozone troubles make it worse...

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing politics, stop pretending to be world class, get real, think globally..

Worked for Barco? Contribute to the Community!