Barcodes Inc Reviews

3.1
Dan Nettesheim

1. Good Company

Current Employee - Strategic Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

growing collaborative environment with high income potential

Cons

lack of business understanding from senior leadership

A sinking ship on fire in an ocean of gasoline

I have been working at Barcodes Inc

Pros

You are assigned accounts that are primarily previous customers, which gives you a solid basis for reaching out and introducing yourself. Those who stick with it can do well and earn a solid commission check every month.

There is a break room with Pop-A-Shot, Golden Tee 2005, and a flatscreen.

The company gives you free beer a couple of times per month. Also, there is an annual Cubs game and 16" softball game.

The work/life balance is good -- you're not actually expected to put in any effort before or after your shift, even though it is "encouraged." In fact, managers usually leave early, so there's no one keeping the salespeople from doing the same. Call that a perk if you want to.

Cons

In sales, your base salary is $30,000, forever, absolutely no negotiation. Promoted to executive account manager? Great! Enjoy your now-doubled goal with absolutely no additional incentives for hitting it or sticking around.

This is possibly the worst work culture I've ever heard of. There is no positive energy in the office at all. Nobody likes working here. How bad has it gotten? Somewhere around a dozen people have quit or submitted notice in the last ten days. We're reaching a point where the company's efforts to grow exponentially are causing it to shrink.

Pretty much every department is in an eternal feud with every other department, but not without reason. Want to get an account on Net terms? Sure! Just have them fill out a form that breaks every two or three months. From there, ONE woman will look at one D&B report (which is always out of date and rarely accurate), and then unilaterally decide if the customer is credit-worthy. Customers with multiple years of order history are routinely declined. It feels like it always requires managerial intervention to get a company that isn't a household name on terms.

All of the managers used to be account managers at BarcodesInc. I've been told that our systems are so confusing that hiring someone from the outside is impossible; it would take them months to get up-to-speed.

And yes. The systems are terrible. Most of your tools will crash once per day. I have three different phone tools that I'm supposed to keep open at all times, all of which are capable of replacing each other entirely, but for whatever reason we have to use all three. Our CRM is a homebrewed catastrophe. Every year the company considers going with an "industry leading CRM system," but instead doubles down on the current system by getting foreign programmers to make more changes that somehow make everything less stable.

For your first year, expect a manager to shadow you a couple of hours per week and tell you what to do while you're trying to have a conversation with a customer.

We've had to spray for bedbugs several times this year.

I could keep hammering away here, but my time is better spent updating my resume at this point; nobody is listening.

Advice to Management

You are doing absolutely nothing to retain talent. You cannot possibly expect to continue to grow as a company by replacing your top performers with entry-level kids.

The training offered by the company after the initial onboarding process is hilariously bad. It's a problem if the only way you can make workers attend a training session is by giving them a free lunch or free beer.

Take some time to focus energy back to what the company originally excelled at: providing excellent solutions and support on the initial call, leading to either a quote or a sale. Quality handling of inbound leads by a team specifically built for that task provided a solid foundation for account management. Now that every salesperson does a little bit of everything (including their own customer service, RMAs, tech support, and accounting), nobody has the energy or focus to excel at any of their half-dozen responsibilities. You've basically built a team entirely composed of utility infielders while telling everyone it's part of the goal to become a "World-Class Sales Organization."

Sure, BarcodesInc might want to join the list of companies that replaced its original name with a three-letter acronym and its original office with a waterfront tower, complete with logo, but is that really the best company structure for where the business is right now?

Make the office a place that people enjoy spending nine hours a day in. Everything is grey, beige, or white. The chairs are uncomfortable and old. More than half of the office gets absolutely no natural light.

Quit falling for the sunken cost fallacy by propping up the CRM and order processing system you've developed. It is abysmal. Scrap it and let a team of professionals do the job instead of outsourcing coding to India.

Also, start listening to employees who offer constructive criticism. And I mean actually listening. The quarterly town hall meeting and monthly roundtables are just for show, and everyone knows it.

Good place to start career in tech sales.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company cares about employees. Decent commission structure. Benefits comparable to other companies. Good place to start a career in tech. sales.

Cons

A handful of account managers do well consistently. Somewhat high turnover rate in sales. Homegrown CRM is very frustrating to use.

Advice to Management

Account managers spend a lot of time providing customer service. This takes away focus on driving new sales. Management should allocate resources to minimize account managers' time being wasted on smaller customers.

Good entry level job, not for long term career and doesn't pay well

I worked at Barcodes Inc full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a good job right out of college. Fast paced environment, young work force. Good stepping stone to another job.

Cons

Pay is awful, you work long hours, promotions and raises are rare, a lot of close relationships among coworkers that can seem a little like Melrose Place.

Advice to Management

Work on retaining good talent

Decent place but was time for me to move on

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barcodes Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Niche organization for easy to find high margin sales, growing culture

Cons

Difficult accounting practices ,sales blockades , limited benefits package was in place until I left the company.

Decent place to work if you don't need to commute from too far away

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barcodes Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Working at Barcodes was not boring, there was plenty to do and the environment was active. I enjoyed working with my teammates and everyone was really very helpful. Almost everything about the company was accurately disclosed during the interview so there weren't any nasty surprises. It was mostly a happy working environment.

Cons

The biggest problem for me was the commute. I don't live in or near the city so getting downtown was a major chore. A couple of episodes of Metra stranding me in the Chicago train station until nearly midnight was enough.

Barcodes is a small company which means personalities can have an outsized impact on the dynamics of any situation and there were obvious fault lines between some of the groups within the company. They are also venture capital owned and the venture capital firm had a habit of interfering in technical decisions to an unhealthy degree, IMHO.

Finally, the wages are at the bottom end of acceptable. I don't really see how anyone could afford to live close enough to downtown to make the commute financially worthwhile.

Advice to Management

One thing I found surprising about Barcodes was the way some managers openly denigrated whole teams and sometimes specific members of other teams without any apparent regard for how easily they could be overheard and by whom. An Us vs Them culture is tough to overcome once it gets started so I'd suggest damping down that sort of behavior. If a person or team isn't performing, take the discussion somewhere private and keep it between the parties involved.

Decent

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are new to Account Management, it is perfect. Attainable goals, support to an extent.

Cons

If you are seasoned, move along. You will be frustrated by the ineptitude of upper management. Sales managers are great, but Directors and CEO do not have the pulse of the industry.

Advice to Management

To quote a famous sports star "Dance with who brung ya". Industry knowledge plus sales ability equal brand loyalty. Box pushing leads to unsustainable short term growth followed by a mass exodus.

Caustic cultural environment, Unreasonable expectations, no time for continued improvements

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barcodes Inc full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Downtown Location, No college degree required to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Unclear priorities, poor work life balance, caustic office culture, no professional development, Paid time off/sick time/ personal days lumped, 80% sales staff, high turnover, lack of innovation, weak reward structure,

Advice to Management

Work on office culture and break down the politics between eCommerce and IT. Too much work load for the current development staff, with little incentives. Too many technical challanges to produce expected goals for IT, some time needs to be devoted to organizing/restructuring/refactoring/ continuing improvement. Invest in your employees and they might stay longer.

10. Good Learning Experience

Former Employee - Technical Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barcodes Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good training, great coworkers. Good First or Second Job.

Cons

Poor Pay. Constant Changes in Direction.

Advice to Management

Give more opportunities for advancement. Pay a fair commission structure. Making $250 on a sale that makes the company 5 figures of profit is not equitable. Especially not at a $31,000 salary. It just makes you resent coming in to work.

Barcodes Inc Response

Aug 29, 2014Director of HR

Our goal is to create a positive work environment where our team members are well rewarded for their contributions to building a successful business. After receiving this type of feedback from our ... More

11. Barcodes Inc

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Barcodes Inc has a great work environment. As an account manager you determine your own success and dollars you earn. Recent changes in comp structure and organizational structure have made it easier for new hires to start off on a good foot. The company provides training to learn what is needed to start talking to customers about their data capture projects and has a solutions team to help with things not learned in training.

Benefits are offered and you have your choice in coverage.

Vendors treat the employees great treating sales staff to lunch on training days and constant happy hours to help build rapport with us.

Cons

The comp structure is set up to ensure you make good commission dollars but it does take about 4-6 months after you get on the phones and interacting with customers to build a book of business (normal).

Advice to Management

The company is growing at an exponential rate the advice to management is to help define a better career path for the employees that are in that in-between of senior account manager and new account manager.

RSS Feed </> Embed