Barcodes Inc Reviews

3.2

Dan Nettesheim

Barcodes Inc

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Barcodes Inc has a great work environment. As an account manager you determine your own success and dollars you earn. Recent changes in comp structure and organizational structure have made it easier for new hires to start off on a good foot. The company provides training to learn what is needed to start talking to customers about their data capture projects and has a solutions team to help with things not learned in training.

Benefits are offered and you have your choice in coverage.

Vendors treat the employees great treating sales staff to lunch on training days and constant happy hours to help build rapport with us.

Cons

The comp structure is set up to ensure you make good commission dollars but it does take about 4-6 months after you get on the phones and interacting with customers to build a book of business (normal).

The company is growing at an exponential rate the advice to management is to help define a better career path for the employees that are in that in-between of senior account manager and new account manager.

Decent place but was time for me to move on

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barcodes Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Niche organization for easy to find high margin sales, growing culture

Cons

Difficult accounting practices ,sales blockades , limited benefits package was in place until I left the company.

Decent place to work if you don't need to commute from too far away

Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barcodes Inc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at Barcodes was not boring, there was plenty to do and the environment was active. I enjoyed working with my teammates and everyone was really very helpful. Almost everything about the company was accurately disclosed during the interview so there weren't any nasty surprises. It was mostly a happy working environment.

Cons

The biggest problem for me was the commute. I don't live in or near the city so getting downtown was a major chore. A couple of episodes of Metra stranding me in the Chicago train station until nearly midnight was enough.

Barcodes is a small company which means personalities can have an outsized impact on the dynamics of any situation and there were obvious fault lines between some of the groups within the company. They are also venture capital owned and the venture capital firm had a habit of interfering in technical decisions to an unhealthy degree, IMHO.

Finally, the wages are at the bottom end of acceptable. I don't really see how anyone could afford to live close enough to downtown to make the commute financially worthwhile.

One thing I found surprising about Barcodes was the way some managers openly denigrated whole teams and sometimes specific members of other teams without any apparent regard for how easily they could be overheard and by whom. An Us vs Them culture is tough to overcome once it gets started so I'd suggest damping down that sort of behavior. If a person or team isn't performing, take the discussion somewhere private and keep it between the parties involved.

Decent

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you are new to Account Management, it is perfect. Attainable goals, support to an extent.

Cons

If you are seasoned, move along. You will be frustrated by the ineptitude of upper management. Sales managers are great, but Directors and CEO do not have the pulse of the industry.

To quote a famous sports star "Dance with who brung ya". Industry knowledge plus sales ability equal brand loyalty. Box pushing leads to unsustainable short term growth followed by a mass exodus.

Caustic cultural environment, Unreasonable expectations, no time for continued improvements

Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Web Developer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barcodes Inc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Downtown Location, No college degree required to get your foot in the door.

Cons

Unclear priorities, poor work life balance, caustic office culture, no professional development, Paid time off/sick time/ personal days lumped, 80% sales staff, high turnover, lack of innovation, weak reward structure,

Work on office culture and break down the politics between eCommerce and IT. Too much work load for the current development staff, with little incentives. Too many technical challanges to produce expected goals for IT, some time needs to be devoted to organizing/restructuring/refactoring/ continuing improvement. Invest in your employees and they might stay longer.

Good Learning Experience

Former Employee - Technical Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technical Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barcodes Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good training, great coworkers. Good First or Second Job.

Cons

Poor Pay. Constant Changes in Direction.

Give more opportunities for advancement. Pay a fair commission structure. Making $250 on a sale that makes the company 5 figures of profit is not equitable. Especially not at a $31,000 salary. It just makes you resent coming in to work.

Barcodes Inc Response

Aug 29, 2014Director of HR

Our goal is to create a positive work environment where our team members are well rewarded for their contributions to building a successful business. After receiving this type of feedback from our ... More

Great place to build a sales career

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Barcodes is a growth company with a great culture and helpful teammates. They offer an aggressive commission structure and abundant customer leads. They have a strong position in the market and consistent support from vendor partners.

Cons

Barcodes' rapid growth has put strains on some of their internal systems. The company isn't well known outside the industry.

Management should continue to investment in people and systems. They should also continue to add new product categories.

Good place to start a career

Current Employee - Ecommerce Developer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Ecommerce Developer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Good co-workers
    - Downtown
    - Nice atmosphere

Cons

- Need more opportunities for professional growth and promotions
    - Need more IT/support bandwidth

fast growing business

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barcodes Inc full-time (less than an year)

Pros

A lot of energy, and great coworkers. Plenty of opportunity for sales people to grow their income through incoming leads.

Cons

Need better and more useful tools for sales, and more opportunities for training.

Not a bad experience as a Temp to Hire

Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Coordinator in Chicago, IL

I worked at Barcodes Inc as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great people, great incentives
    Company outings almost every other week
    Lunch provided once a week
    I'll say again, great fun light hearted, but hard working people.

Cons

They were growing too fast, they anticipated a larger demand than they were able to create/produce. So unfortunately there were jobs, like mine, created that became obsolete.
    High turnover for sales force, which is kind of normal for any organization

More cohesive and clear idea of responsibilities for incoming operations people