www.bareescentuals.com

Updated October 17, 2014
Updated October 17, 2014
2.9

Simon Cowell

Pros
  • Good benefits and a great product make it a really easy company to work for (in 21 reviews)

• Great Discount, bonus good (when can hit sales goals), great products and customers (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • NO WORK LIFE BALANCE, don't expect to have any kind of life ever (in 13 reviews)

• There was a lot of drama in my store and upper management did nothing but fuel it (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

overall good experience

Current Employee - Beauty Ambassador
    Current Employee - Beauty Ambassador

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than an year)

Pros

i love the products. the discount is great. i love the girls I work with, we work as a family unit. clients are typically excited about the products and appreciative of services.

Cons

not enough hours. hire from outside the company instead of hiring within for available advancement positions. upper management isn't very concerned with opinions or needs of employees. makeup services are free, so sometimes customers take advantage of our time without any intention of making a purchase.

Boutique Manager

Former Employee - Boutique Manager

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Product!!! Discount was awesome and store associates are amazing! Great place to build up your cosmetic experience. Great place to work as long as you are NOT in management!!

Cons

Company cant seem to make up their mind. Ever since Leslie left, it has lost the "Girlfriend experience" . Seems like they are all about the big sell now and no longer have a personal approach to building the business.

Stop giving unrealistic goals to management and stop changing "The Vision" every other month! Hire and retain supportive members of management that allow open lines of communication and support associate honesty, instead of catty-double talking, two-faced managers/district managers that will lie and throw you under a bus in order to get what they want!

Fun, But Challenging

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers are the BEST reason to work here. There are often contests, store events, and gratis products. People watching in the mall on your breaks. Loved making customers feel special! Get to try all the new products. Values continued training and education.

Cons

Meeting goals could be challenging. Working holidays is awful. Parking in the ramp is HORRIBLE during holidays (especially Christmas season), weekends, and anytime school is out. Many customers come in without any intent to buy just to get a "make-over." Had to wear shirts that could be inappropriate...such as "Have you felt Matte lately?" when the matte foundation came out. Luckily I wasn't married at the time, because my husband would definitely want to know what that is supposed to mean! Other marketing was sexual in nature too. Not what I expect from a company that promotes women otherwise.

Great company to work for. Amazing innovatative products.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bare Escentuals

Pros

They value their employees and listen to your feedback.

Cons

It is a company of constant change and you need to be extremely flexible.

Assistant Boutique Manager

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in West Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in West Des Moines, IA

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is very client focused and looking to sell products based on the person's needs, not the store volume needs.

Cons

The company is still new and still learning how to grow into the multi-billion company they could be. The pay, communication, and management tools/support are still lacking in consistency making training, coaching, and tracking success/opportunity difficult and time consuming.

Find consistency in product/training materials. Ensure communication is sent and received by the specific employees targeted. (one email for everyone but the store manager to share can breakdown functions if emails aren't received by all targeted employees). Begin to enable stores to have an allowance they may use to promote and market the products comfortably, additionally the store can obtain needed emergency office supplies or supplies not on the normal order list.

Running too fast......

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. The people is what really keeps the lights on in this place. There is a general sense of satisfaction in keeping customers happy with the product.

Cons

Terrible top management. No clear strategy. Only chasing after the latest and greatest idea - which usually means they are late to the table again with innovation and unique product concepts.

Simon - LEAD! Leading by committee makes the company slow and fraught with terrible communication. No one knows whos on first at this company because plans change every 5 minutes.

Boutique Manager

Former Employee - Boutique Manager

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Company has great values and really focuses on the customer experience.Company really understands training and holds training seminars all the time.

Cons

No room for advancement unless you know the right people, it isn't based on performance or experience.

Upper management get to know your entire team.

Great people to work with. Very inviting company.

Current Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and easy company to work for. They send you to seasonal training seminars twice every year. Every employee receives gratis when new products are put out.

Cons

Minimum-wage pay compared to many other cosmetic companies, not worth all the hard work you put in. Unrealistic goals for the store.

I would suggest better pay for the amount of work the employees have to do for the company.

Former Employee - Assistant Botique Manager in Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Botique Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the "girlfriend" atmosphere. Some of my closest friends are women I met while working there. The product is truly amazing. I would not purchase any other product. The company itself is amazing and they offer great training, incentives, perks and so on.

Cons

Working in a company where the majority of employees leaves for some cattiness, as well as that high school atmosphere where everything is a popularity contest. In my personal boutique it was difficult trying to balance out my store manager who was selfish and self serving. She took advantage of the lower employees and forced them to work holidays while she took off, and would not allow them the time they requested off. As the assistant manager she had not allowed me to grow in my management position. Also the new district manager did not like me or the fact that I was friends with all of my employees so she managed to get me to leave. My poor experience is central to only one store. The company itself is great and if I could I would go back in a heartbeat.

Always be fair.
    Don't take advantage of your employees.
    Always lead by example.
    Delegate managerial tasks to others rather than keeping it for yourself to do. Your management team needs to be able to grow as well.

They care about their people and their customers!

Current Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Employee development, competitive pay (corporate/field level), ongoing training

Cons

Given a lot of responsibility and tasks, very cheap when it comes to budgets and payroll

Bare Escentuals Photos