Bare Escentuals

Bare Escentuals Reviews

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014

Simon Cowell

Pros
  • Great Discount, bonus good (when can hit sales goals), great products and customers (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits and a great product make it a really easy company to work for (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • NO WORK LIFE BALANCE, don't expect to have any kind of life ever (in 13 reviews)

• upper management isn't very concerned with opinions or needs of employees (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

i loved it

I worked at Bare Escentuals

Pros

discounts, leadership beauty book and fun place

Cons

always wearing black and working holidays and mall hours

keep up the good work

Really fun, innovative, and genuine company to work for

Former Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Metairie, LA
    Former Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Metairie, LA

I worked at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I worked there for about 3 years on and off( I moved away, then moved back) The pay is on the higher side starting at $11/hr. and potential to move up in the company. My manager was awesome and so were most of my co-workers. There was always really fun and exciting events, although we got really busy at those times. It is hard work, but extremely rewarding! It was a great company to work for in the time I was going to college, but I moved too far from that location, and had to quit. I would love to be with the company again at a higher position once I get my degree.

Cons

I only worked at the Bare Escentuals leased by Dillard's, so most of my complaining comes from Dillard's. Other than that, no cons really.

None. Great managers!

Loved the job hate managers

Current Employee - Key Holder in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Key Holder in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Got to hear amazing stories and met amazing people

Discounts!
    Great friends

Cons

Management
    Bad communication
    Hours
    No time off for holidays

Hire less bipolar applicants

Assistant boutique manager

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fun place to work with great products and customers. Never gets out of control busy. I was able to give my client my full attention. Great training for new products and very generous with gratis! DM is amazing!

Cons

Still a new company so no clear direction with marketing and promos. No growth opportunity in the area yet I feel like the company CAN grow. Attendance policy is ridiculously strict at times.

Check your warehouse people. Many times shipment is thrown together and damaged when we get it. Also open more stores and use more promos to drive business. This company is good but it could be GREAT!

Wealth of knowledge

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Developed many valuable leadership skills and sales techniques. Fun environment.

Cons

Disappointing pay structures, and reviews process. High turnover rate. Little movement with few boutiques.

overall great experience; expectations at the end NOT the same.

Former Employee - Key Holder in Lone Tree, CO
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Lone Tree, CO

I worked at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than an year)

Pros

"the girlfriend experience" what we were taught as a team to strive for and getting that relationship w/your clientele for them to return over and over. this was stressed when i first started 8/2010.

Cons

sales, sales, sales. they said they dont want you to be 'sally saleswoman' but when it came to goals and expectations "the girlfriend experience" was neglected to get the client to buy "one more item" it was a sad turnaround to experience.

bring back the girlfriend experience please.

Awesome job where you get to share your creativity and remain up to date in the makeup industry.

Current Employee - Boutique Assistant in Coralville, IA
    Current Employee - Boutique Assistant in Coralville, IA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work environment and people, awesome training programs

Cons

varying hours and a high turnover rate with some employee positions

So much potential!

Former Employee - Keyholder in Albuquerque, NM
    Former Employee - Keyholder in Albuquerque, NM

I worked at Bare Escentuals part-time

Pros

Pay is above average for retail. Great product! Company focus is the customer, not necessarily on sales. You get some gratis.

Cons

As a keyholder, you are told to "coach" the staff level below you as well as above you. If your upper management is not receptive, it can hurt you, so you learn to not "coach" them. And you are not given any sort of "set of tools" in order to coach the level below you, so if they do not receive it well or choose to ignore you, you just have to deal with it. You can try your upper management but they don't end up talking to your lower level staff, most likely because it is just a popularity contest at Bare Minerals. So you are stuck in the middle and are the bad guy because you are told to keep "coaching" the staff as a part of your job. Ugh.
    Also, Keyholders and BA's do as much work making sales for the company as the store managers but get pennies in a bonus compared to them.
    Weekends are ridiculous in such a small boutique. There are only 2 registers; you are also expected to talk with every customer, sit them down, write up a profile sheet for you and them, and ring them out.

Give the keyholders a way to discipline or stand their ground, so they are not walked all over by the BA's. There also seems to be no regulation on how well the upper management runs the store or their district. I think bonuses should be based on customer experience (including the employees experience) and not on sales.
    Don't be so stingy with your gratis. In order to sell the product the worker bees must use it.

Upbeat Company

Former Employee - Corporate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Corporate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The environment is fun and the people are great. It was fun to be hands on with the product. The company size is good; not too big or not too small.

Cons

The vacation scale was disappointing. There wasn't the opportunity to work from home (at least for me).

Reconsider the vacation accrual. It's hard to wait 5 years for the next level of accrual.

Working at Bare Escentuals is a fun experience.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cherry Hill, NJ

I worked at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company values are great. The office culture is playful but professional. And the team is small so everyone works closely together.

Cons

The team is small and only women so things can get a bit dramatic.

N/A