Bare Escentuals

Updated February 27, 2015
Updated February 27, 2015
3.2

Simon Cowell

Pros
  • Great Discount, bonus good (when can hit sales goals), great products and customers (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits and a great product make it a really easy company to work for (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • NO WORK LIFE BALANCE, don't expect to have any kind of life ever (in 14 reviews)

• upper management isn't very concerned with opinions or needs of employees (in 23 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome

Current Employee - Makeup Artist
    Current Employee - Makeup Artist

I have been working at Bare Escentuals

Pros

Sweet People love working here

Cons

There are no downsides except not enough hours

Best Place to start off in Cosmetics

Former Employee - Boutique Key Holder
    Former Employee - Boutique Key Holder

I worked at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere isnt as cut throat or competitive because they don't have a commission system in place. The products also are genuinely very healthy for your skin. The mission of the brand is one of the best within the cosmetics buisness. You can easily work your way up, they hire for managerial positions from within usually.

Cons

If you sell much more than your colleagues, you don't recieve any type of fo coal reward like within other companies that work off of commission sales. This can become quite frustrating and disheartening. They also give a very small raise every year but the base pay is decent especially if you don't have makeup experience going in.

Positive and empowering

Current Employee - Boutique Key Holder in Huntington, WV
    Current Employee - Boutique Key Holder in Huntington, WV

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company is absolutely amazing. I truly believe in what I sell and what I do.

Cons

No employee benefits for part-time managment

Needs a lot of growth

Current Employee - Boutique Manager
    Current Employee - Boutique Manager

I have been working at Bare Escentuals

Pros

Fun environment provides intimate interactions with clients.

Cons

Company needs to establish clear DOR's

Fun place to work

Former Intern - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Former Intern - Anonymous in New York, NY

I worked at Bare Escentuals as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Fun, decent pay, good discount, people you work with can be awesome, met a lot of long term friends

Cons

Management seriously takes advantage of their title. The district manager is never around to see if the boutique is being run ok so in house management gets away with very poor management skills. No benefits for key holders who are supposed to be management, scheduling is a joke.

Be more involved with boutiques to actually see the day to day and poorly managed boutiques. It's not all about the numbers. Move people up who have put in 5+ years instead of having outside hires, be more strict on your boutique manager because they're probably doing whatever the heck they want and that's why your turnover rate is so high.

Great leaders

I have been working at Bare Escentuals

Pros

The upper management were fantastic to work for. They showed passion for the industry and inspired others with that passion.

Cons

Sometimes business was slow. Lot's of calling on the phone to clients to make your business happen. Overtime wasn't given as an option very often. No commission.

Fun, rewarding, no regrets

Former Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Awesome gratis and discount. The management can be a bit favorite-y and strict on write ups but I view this as a positive. Fun work environment. Going to work everyday was like going to a makeover slumber party, only without the pajamas and with sales goals. If you are a personable person and enjoy making lasting relationships with clients its easy.

Cons

I didn't always get as many hours as I would've liked to. Sales goals were difficult sometimes but not unreasonable.

Great when I first started, horrible now.

Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Boutique Manager

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been with the the company for a LONG time. I mean, leslie still owned the company, we had one type of foundation and only 4 things as part of our *Rare* skincare line. The most exciting things over time have been, the competitive pay, the gratis, the discount, the benefits, and the training and education, but most importantly the feeling of being a true "girlfriend". Great product line, basically sells itself.

Cons

Everything has changed over time, as most things do, however not for the best. We do not receive as GOOD or as much gratis as we used to, the pay scale is unfair (with one person in one location making WAY more than another location within the same district for the SAME position) there is hardly ANY true management training, sales incentives and contests have gone downhill, people are put into positions because of favoritism not merrit, "coaching out" is now more prevelant than coaching up. There is absolutely no work life balance: Someone in your family died? Oh well, come to work, oh you have the flu? You'll be fine, come to the work, oh it's your wedding? No not anymore, come to work. Make sure you leave all your problems at the door though & put a smile on your pretty face!

Training. Not just product training, but REAL training, for ALL management. Make it more fun, we don't sell shoes. It's not about the girlfriend experience anymore... Let's get back to that. & more presence from upper management in boutiques. It's exciting, we look forward to it, and don't be pretentious and mean when you are finally in boutiques, we work really hard to be perfect when you are there and would appreciate some acknowledgment and words of praise.

Okay company, upper management could use some work

Former Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Kennesaw, GA
    Former Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Kennesaw, GA

I worked at Bare Escentuals part-time

Pros

The discount
    Meet a lot of people
    Good product

Cons

Can be catty and overly competitive
    Gossip
    Management out of touch with daily happenings of the store

Get in the stores and connect with your employees

company cares, management doesn't

Former Employee - Key Holder in Mohegan, CT
    Former Employee - Key Holder in Mohegan, CT

I worked at Bare Escentuals

Pros

I love the product and I loved working with the clients. The team I used to work for were motivated.

Cons

The management team at my particular location treats staff like garbage. Instead of encouragement, they belittle the staff.

Learn to appreciate the people who bend over backwards to help run your store and get the awesome numbers that you get!