Bare Escentuals

Updated September 29, 2014
Updated September 29, 2014
2.9

Simon Cowell

Pros
  • Great Discount, bonus good (when can hit sales goals), great products and customers (in 20 reviews)

• Gratis, Healthy Makeup for your skin, Great products-it sells itself (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • NO WORK LIFE BALANCE, don't expect to have any kind of life ever (in 13 reviews)

• There was a lot of drama in my store and upper management did nothing but fuel it (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun, But Challenging

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor  in  Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Co-workers are the BEST reason to work here. There are often contests, store events, and gratis products. People watching in the mall on your breaks. Loved making customers feel special! Get to try all the new products. Values continued training and education.

Cons

Meeting goals could be challenging. Working holidays is awful. Parking in the ramp is HORRIBLE during holidays (especially Christmas season), weekends, and anytime school is out. Many customers come in without any intent to buy just to get a "make-over." Had to wear shirts that could be inappropriate...such as "Have you felt Matte lately?" when the matte foundation came out. Luckily I wasn't married at the time, because my husband would definitely want to know what that is supposed to mean! Other marketing was sexual in nature too. Not what I expect from a company that promotes women otherwise.

Boutique Manager

Former Employee - Boutique Manager
    Former Employee - Boutique Manager

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Company has great values and really focuses on the customer experience.Company really understands training and holds training seminars all the time.

Cons

No room for advancement unless you know the right people, it isn't based on performance or experience.

Upper management get to know your entire team.

Great people to work with. Very inviting company.

Current Employee - Beauty Ambassador  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits and easy company to work for. They send you to seasonal training seminars twice every year. Every employee receives gratis when new products are put out.

Cons

Minimum-wage pay compared to many other cosmetic companies, not worth all the hard work you put in. Unrealistic goals for the store.

I would suggest better pay for the amount of work the employees have to do for the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bare Escentuals

Former Employee - Assistant Botique Manager  in  Lancaster, PA
    Former Employee - Assistant Botique Manager in Lancaster, PA

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I loved the "girlfriend" atmosphere. Some of my closest friends are women I met while working there. The product is truly amazing. I would not purchase any other product. The company itself is amazing and they offer great training, incentives, perks and so on.

Cons

Working in a company where the majority of employees leaves for some cattiness, as well as that high school atmosphere where everything is a popularity contest. In my personal boutique it was difficult trying to balance out my store manager who was selfish and self serving. She took advantage of the lower employees and forced them to work holidays while she took off, and would not allow them the time they requested off. As the assistant manager she had not allowed me to grow in my management position. Also the new district manager did not like me or the fact that I was friends with all of my employees so she managed to get me to leave. My poor experience is central to only one store. The company itself is great and if I could I would go back in a heartbeat.

Always be fair.
    Don't take advantage of your employees.
    Always lead by example.
    Delegate managerial tasks to others rather than keeping it for yourself to do. Your management team needs to be able to grow as well.

They care about their people and their customers!

Current Employee - Account Executive  in  Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Employee development, competitive pay (corporate/field level), ongoing training

Cons

Given a lot of responsibility and tasks, very cheap when it comes to budgets and payroll

bareMinerals is a wonderful place to work!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Bare Escentuals

Pros

Amazing staff that inspires me everyday to be the best leader I can be. Incredible products. Great health benefits. Our clients are wonderful and so loyal. There is so much growth within our company for those that inspire to learn and be developed. Upper management is extremely supportive. The company has changed so much in the last 3 years that I have worked for bareMinerals and truthfully it continues to get better and better.

Cons

There are no con's. :) Our jobs are fun and we work very hard. It's great. We get to motivate and inspire our staff and clients on a daily basis. It's amazing.

Keep up the good work.

Bad Management

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time for more than a year

Pros

They have some good products such as original primer that i still use it though i left the company

Cons

Senior management are incompetent; they got rid of a lot of good performers. Job promotion is based on who can kiss up and kick down. They are not experienced and don't know what they are doing. Employee's turnover is huge. The company has lost a lot of money and market share. They have been in decline.

The parent company Shiseido should clean house. Replace the senior management with experienced and quality people.

It was a great time to learn retail managment

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time for more than a year

Pros

Fun work envoirnment, good fellow employees.

Cons

Working with customers in and out all day long.

learned a lot, but hard to advance within

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time for more than a year

Pros

fun company culture, good makeup discount

Cons

To many meetings so it's hard to get work done, high employee turnover in home offices, micromanaged from the top, hard to get new ideas passed, lots of internal politics around promotions and advancing, departments tend to work in silos and have trouble communicating internally.

Empower your teams vs. telling them how to run their business/dept.

It was Nice

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Friendly people
    Nice customers
    Easy product to sell

Cons

Sales goals expectations are un realistic in the economy. Sorry, but people don't want to pay 15 dollars for a lipstick. Also, upper management aka. DMs and RMs have too much emphasis on client books. There was a lot of trouble for everyone in my store to get someone to answer the phone never the less actually get them to come in after what feels like a soliciting phone call.

Bare Escentuals Photos

Worked for Bare Escentuals? Contribute to the Community!