Bare Escentuals

Updated October 20, 2014
Updated October 20, 2014
2.9

Simon Cowell

Pros
  • Great Discount, bonus good (when can hit sales goals), great products and customers (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits and a great product make it a really easy company to work for (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • NO WORK LIFE BALANCE, don't expect to have any kind of life ever (in 13 reviews)

• upper management isn't very concerned with opinions or needs of employees (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

20 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great work environment

Current Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Beauty Ambassador in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is a very professional environment, and positive reinforcement is given. Most people are pleasant to work with, essentially making work life better.

Cons

The on boarding process wasn't as seamless as one would hope. This is probably because my department had their hands full at the time.

Check in with new employees to see how they are doing, and what issues/concerns they may have with their on boarding.

Running too fast......

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. The people is what really keeps the lights on in this place. There is a general sense of satisfaction in keeping customers happy with the product.

Cons

Terrible top management. No clear strategy. Only chasing after the latest and greatest idea - which usually means they are late to the table again with innovation and unique product concepts.

Simon - LEAD! Leading by committee makes the company slow and fraught with terrible communication. No one knows whos on first at this company because plans change every 5 minutes.

great place to grow

Current Employee - Area Trainer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Area Trainer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

lots of development offered at this company!

Cons

every year our job titles change, our responsibility changes, our demand for travel changes but our salaries do not

Great philosophy

Current Employee - Logtistics in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Logtistics in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible hours and a very fun place to work for

Cons

Non-competitve salaries. Their salaries are below the market ones and is hard to get promoted.

Management is lousy

Former Employee - Key Holder in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Key Holder in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some great co-workers, great clients. Excellent training. Decent gratis.

Cons

Low pay, constant changes in the schedule. Constant changes in management, usually for the worse. Relentless pressure to make sales quotas, items-per transactions quotas, average purchase quotas.

They wanted us to do high-pressure sales, which the cliental hated. The lighting was genuinely lousy so color-matching was difficult. But it was mostly the micro-managing that genuinely did not work. It focused so much on continuous pressure, that a great job became a lousy one.

If you hire competent people, and pay them a decent wage, you will not have to micromanage. It takes away the sincerity of the person trying to help your client, and the client feels it.

Very positive place to work, but it was acquired by another company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BE was a great place to work I was given many opportunities to grow and work on multiple projects in a great office environment.

Cons

Company was acquired in 2011, so it's not the same place as when I was there. Many people left including key senior management and mid-management. There was a big culture change in the process.

Great boss now, but wasn't always the case.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great discount and gratis. Really fun people to work with. Great company values, they just don't live them.

Cons

Constant chaos. I have had more bosses than I can count. Some have been good, but most were really, really, bad. The company never seems to know what their next move is and launches are not successful many time because the teams have no idea what is going on. Sr leadership does not seem to care, and people who perform poorly are often kept around because upper management likes them. Promotions also seemed to be based off of popularity and not actual skill for the job. If you are not someone who adapts to change easily, you will hate this place.

Clean house starting from the top down. Promote who is the best for the job and not who you like the most...

Nice peers, poor business leaders

I worked at Bare Escentuals full-time

Pros

Fun peers, great free product, and Leslie is inspiring (although she is pulling away from the business).

Cons

If you like to receive a bonus or job security, do NOT work here. The company leaders make poor business decisions, and HR leaders make uninformed decisions that effect employees negatively. Many of the company leaders are creative, which is great, but they do not have good business sense or know how to run a profitable company. Employees do not bonus, they are losing business, and things are going downhill. Employees are starting to leave, and others are being laid off. This could be such a great company with happy customers and great products, but without knowledgeable business leaders this company will never get there.

Send leaders to business classes or bring in leaders with good business sense. When employees are questioning decisions made by leaders, and in the end the employees are right, a change needs to be made.

Great people!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bare Escentuals as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice people to work with on a daily basis. Most are easy to talk to.

Cons

some egos need to be tamed, some team members need to be let go immediately. Way more junior people than I expected

dont be afraid to fire people who are not working out

BE offers some great opportunities across various areas but IT isn't one of them.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bare Escentuals full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule, great people on most teams and they know how to throw a party.

Cons

IT is a complete mess lacking senior management. Projects start and end seemingly at random. Even large initiatives suffer from ever changing priorities. BUT, we have a new CIO that started yesterday - perhaps there is hope.

Stop being afraid of taking responsibility for the decisions you are making. The whole company feels paralyzed by you being indecisive!

Bare Escentuals Photos