Barling Bay Reviews

2.6
Jim Hoisington

1. Supportive Leadership and Supportive Team Environment

I have been working at Barling Bay

Pros

The company has been great to work for. I found the atmosphere very supportive and encouraging. Barling Bay has good benefits and gives employees the autonomy to get the work done and be successful on the projects they work on without micromanaging how they do it.

Cons

Government contracting is subject to the ups and downs of Government funding and can be unstable at times. Barling Bay is no different. If you cannot handle the uncertainty of year-to-year funding, this line of work may not be for you.

Provide support for your breadwinners and provide a safety-net to keep them from going to the competition. Have a clear vision for the future that we can all promote, take pride in and work towards. Provide advancement opportunities and career development and follow through. Your employees are your best assets.

Old Harbor Native Corp and Three Saints Bay Poor Leadership ruins a great company

I worked at Barling Bay full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work, great customers and mission, Barling Bay had great leadership, very smart leaders prior to 2012

Cons

Higher level Alaskan Native Corporation leadership and ethics were so poor, this poison filtered down and ruined a great place to work

I don't believe the management or ANC is capable of self-correcting, nor with the arrogance displayed, would understand they even have a problem....

poor management

I worked at Barling Bay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

COO/CEO/President turnover creates poor management

Cons

COO/CEO/President turnover creates poor management

demonstrate interest in employees.

From great to sketchy

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Barling Bay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for the former President (B Bush) was awesome! Quarterly recognition lunches, awards, bonuses, raises...should I go on? The company won many awards like Best Places to Work, Fastest Growing, awards from the government for best contractor, etc. The company flourished and grew and every employee was proud to work there. Most of the new employees were current employee referrals because people were proud to have their friends, former co-workers, etc come work for such a great company.

Cons

Once B Bush left (or was forced out by parent company) the company went downhill. The parent company (Three Saints Bay) hired someone to come in and run this company that didn't seem to have the customer service sense needed to run a government contracting business. It took a year before he realized that he needed to be out there meeting the customers - That "wasn't his thing". He was a bully at times and nice at others. You never really knew what you were going to get from day to day. The perception was that he was the Three Saints Bay "yes" man and would do whatever they wanted him to do. When he realized that Three Saints Bay was not always looking out for the best interest of Barling Bay he started to buck the system - and guess what..He is no longer there - again, forced out by Three Saints Bay. If you ask me, its Three Saints Bay that needs to be changing leadership/leadership style, not Barling Bay. The president 2012-2103 did recognize employees for good work but dropped it from quarterly to twice a year. Bonuses were up for one year but back down the next even thought everyone was told that Barling Bay was doing great financially. At this point, I would not advise anyone to go to work for Barling Bay. I see them closing the doors instead of getting back on their feet.

Hire a president that has presence and the customer service skills needed to run the business. Get Three Saints Bay to look back over the past 6 years and see when and how they were successful and take a good look at when it started going downhill. A little self awareness may be needed for this task.

6. A caring Alaska Native company

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Anchorage, AK
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Anchorage, AK

I have been working at Barling Bay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The most supportive managers I've ever had. They award good performance and back up their staff; and fight hard to keep contracts. They won't cut pay just to keep a contract. They respect their staff. Good benefits

Cons

It is contract work. So you may be settled in, loving what you do and then have to move on.

I wish I could tell them how to ensure they could keep a contract! Don't compromise your great ethics and values.

7. Solid Place to Work

I worked at Barling Bay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Senior Leadership was strong and professional while dealing with tough demands from government. CEO Dan Jenrich was held in highest regard by employees and customers. General company culture shifted in a positive direction. Great co workers who enjoyed the work environment.

Cons

Changing priorities due to tough economic environment and resource demands. Lots of changes in the entire industry.

None at this time but hang in there.

Worst place ever!! Upper management is a joke.

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Shiloh, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Shiloh, IL

I worked at Barling Bay full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The pay was fair. Although my team lead was a jerk and took credit for most of my work, my project manager was very nice.

Cons

The upper management was a joke. The work was very unstable. I hate that I wasted almost 2 years with this company. The people that are happy working there couldn't get a job anywhere else.

Stop acting like used car salesmen. Go back to school and learn something. Many of you should not be in the positions you are in.

Dont Even Want To List This Company on My Resume

Former Employee - To Many to List
    Former Employee - To Many to List

I worked at Barling Bay full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary, good way to cut teeth with back stabbing and politics first hum-drum.

Cons

Untrustworthy, lack skill-set to get job done.

Quit trying to turn-over personnel with no issues for someone who does.

Great Company in the day...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Charleston, SC

I worked at Barling Bay full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible work day, nice location and good work environment. Customers that were still with the company were very empathetic and understanding of our situation.

Cons

Upper Management is out of touch with the business model that made the company a well respected and sought after business partner.

Great at First - Turned to Awful

I worked at Barling Bay

Pros

Very good Defense and Military Customers. Allowed flexibility in work day hours - starting and ending times. Normal benefits and vacation allowances. It was an excellent company prior to the change in senior management around the Summer/Fall 2010-2011 timeframes.

Cons

Very unethical senior management, including the Washington DC based holding company-Three Saints Bay, along with Old Harbor Native Corp. top individuals.