Barling Bay

Updated Feb 26, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dan Jenrich

Barling Bay continues to create new opportunities.

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
North Charleston, SC

I have been working at Barling Bay full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBarling Bay has undergone significant changes, a number of which were part of the natural evolution of a small company that had to grow up. The overall economic environment too, has presented its own challenges. New management was brought in to shepherd Barling Bay through this process. It has not been easy, but at this point in time, the most significant pro of working at Barling Bay are my committed and loyal co-workers. We are working hard together to keep our company competitive. Senior management regulalry communicates with us on the progress of Barling Bay as we transition from a small business to one that now has to compete in the full and open environment. There are many opportunities to grow professionally and the company encourages training and offers a tuition assistance program.
New management has developed a Business Development Team that is working to expand our traditional base of business. We work together to support their efforts in pursuing new opportunities.

Barling Bay pays its employees well and offers benefits. Our workplace is flexible. Challenging times present opportunity and it is abundant at Barling Bay.

ConsNegative backlash because of management change, which was to be expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to communicate with employees on the State of the Bay. Stay the course on navigating through this challenging time.

Dont Even Want To List This Company on My Resume

To Many to List (Former Employee)

I worked at Barling Bay full-time for less than a year

ProsCompetitive salary, good way to cut teeth with back stabbing and politics first hum-drum.

ConsUntrustworthy, lack skill-set to get job done.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to turn-over personnel with no issues for someone who does.

Great at First - Turned to Awful

I worked at Barling Bay

ProsVery good Defense and Military Customers. Allowed flexibility in work day hours - starting and ending times. Normal benefits and vacation allowances. It was an excellent company prior to the change in senior management around the Summer/Fall 2010-2011 timeframes.

ConsVery unethical senior management, including the Washington DC based holding company-Three Saints Bay, along with Old Harbor Native Corp. top individuals.

Great Company in the day...

Charleston, SC

I worked at Barling Bay full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible work day, nice location and good work environment. Customers that were still with the company were very empathetic and understanding of our situation.

ConsUpper Management is out of touch with the business model that made the company a well respected and sought after business partner.

Clerk becomes President

I have been working at Barling Bay full-time

ProsThe former president was a bully and has been removed.

ConsThe interim president does not have the necessary skills to run this company. He is overwhelmed and confused.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind real Leaders or close shop

Pathetic

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Barling Bay as a contractor for more than a year

ProsWorked with some great people

Consmanagement is clueless, idealistic, oblivious to what really goes on

Advice to Senior Managementstop running the company like you just graduated from college, read a cool blog post over the weekend, or just got a certification

Excellent people make this company great.

Stig Administrative (Former Employee)
Norfolk, VA

I worked at Barling Bay as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCaring management team. Very professional.

ConsBenefits could be better. Medical choices needs improving.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep attracting caring people. Add more medical insurance choices.

What is the Problem with Barling Bay?

I have been working at Barling Bay full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, competitive salaries, used to be a fun place to work

ConsSince Bob Bush left as President, I know the company has had to restructure and seek new revenue opportunities, but the methods employed have simply destroyed what used to be a great company, one that I was proud to say I worked for. BB retained a talented pool of individuals for years, but most have left. A few of the old committed employees still remain, but the company mantra of "Do What is Right" and "Have Fun Doing It" just doesn't seem to apply anymore, given the current leadership direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back and re-evaluate the real reason WHY people left! Leadership!!!

Death Spiral

I have been working at Barling Bay

ProsThere used to be a number of very qualified individuals working feverishly to grow and improve this company; it grew quickly and attracted top talent. Management encouraged personal growth and careers were on a fast track. It was the best place to work in South Carolina and the best joined the team.

ConsThe current president has been in his position for almost two years. This, unfortunately, has been a textbook example of how personality defects can poison a company. The current president is a technopeasent and a bully. He makes up for his lack of knowledge/skill with a bombastic, threatening management style. He has recently removed all management personnel that had any capability of reversing this spiral and has established a very weak management support team. He has alienated his employees (they universally revile his Napoleonic, narcissistic, personality) and his customers (meeting with them, getting to know them is beneath him - that's a task for his minions). He is currently ridiculed and dismissed as an ineffective jerk. Personnel stay in place only because of the perceived difficulty of obtaining another position - they're in it for the money but out at the first alternative. The exit rate is increasing weekly.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't know if an insecure little man that doesn't understand his company, his job, or his customers can be successful. At this point, he is a laughingstock and is the butt of practical jokes he cannot understand, predictably reacting in inappropriate anger, striking out at everyone. This has led to siege mentality - can we outlast this leadership imposter?

Management Credibility

Charleston, SC

I worked at Barling Bay full-time for more than a year

ProsA great case study in how to detroy a company.

ConsDan Jenrich, CEO, was presented as a people person with a broad financial background who intamately understood the world of government contacting for a high end custom software design company by the Three saints Bay CEO, Jeff Babos. Jeff said that Dan had the complete and total respect of the more than 400 employees of his (Dan's) previous emloyer. The only truth in this statement was that Dan was CEO and he was presented by Jeff Babos, who hired Dan.
Over an 18 month period Mr. Jenrich has systematically destroyed a company that was twice voted the best place to work in South Carolina and in 2010 and 2011 was the third fastest and the fastest growing company, respectively. He replaced the entire management structure with friends from his previous companies who viewed the business as a "commodity" operation, run by an individual whose prior background was that of a warehouse supply executive.
It took more than 5 months before Mr. Jenrich condesended to meet with the customer who was responsible for more than 50% of his business.
More could be written, but these are the facts. You can draw your own conclusions!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere iisn't enough spce here to respond to this one!

Worked for Barling Bay? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barling Bay reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barling Bay CEO Dan Jenrich. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Barling Bay employees.