Barnes Aerospace

Updated September 5, 2014
Updated September 5, 2014
2.6

Roy Goldsmith

Seeing improvement but more to come

Current Employee - Jack of All Trades in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Jack of All Trades in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Barnes Aerospace full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good compensation.
    Good benefits.
    Good senior leadership staff.

Cons

Old culture requires changing.
    Work/ life balance needs establishment and honored.
    Hire talented people and the right number to complete the job.

In the past we have seen a lot of senior leadership turnover at this division. As employees we need assurance that our leadership team is dedicated to the people and making the Phoenix facility a success. With the recent additions in leadership (new Division Manager and Quality Manager) over the past few months, I am confident that we have the right leadership team in place to execute the changes that need to take place at the Phoenix facility.

1. Make decisive decisions taking into consideration the key elements of the long term business strategy.
    2. Collaborate as a team to create a new culture.
    3. Provide necessary resources whether it be equipment or people to accomplish the work.

On a personal note, we all have a stake in the game and look for the senior leadership team to lead us and get us to the next level. I would just like to thank the senior leadership staff at the Barnes Phoenix site for their unwavering effort and look forward to the changes (improvements) to come.

Former employee, experience not good.

Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - CNC Machinist in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Barnes Aerospace full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay. Lots of overtime ( if you want it). Management friendly, and appears to be fairly competent (although I wasn't there long enough to know for sure)

Cons

Tension so thick you need a chain saw to cut through it. What they consider training is an absolute JOKE. Worst of all is, in my opinion, drug abuse. Advice to employees: Wearing shaded safety glasses indoors is a red flag.

Implement random drug testing. Actual training would also be helpful.

no direction

Former Employee - CAD Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - CAD Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Barnes Aerospace as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

good shop environment, great product potential

Cons

poor leadership, no direction for success

I interned at Barnes Aerospace in Lansing, MI

I worked at Barnes Aerospace

Pros

-Worked around class schedule
    -Employees were friendly
    -Good pay

Cons

-Tasks are repetitive and can be uninteresting

A lot of work to do.

Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Engineering Co-Op in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Barnes Aerospace as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

As an intern, I was a part of a lot of projects and was actually doing meaningful work. Flexible on hours, especially during the school year. Barnes has a lot of things they need to work on to meet our customers needs, but this is what allows the interns to have meaningful work.

Cons

There is a constant turnover in management which is part of the reason why the division is doing poorly and has a lot to improve on. Interns do a lot of document control, which isn't the most exciting work.

When employees have ideas to help out the shop, implement them! There are a lot of great ideas going around, but they never move forward. And don't leave! The shop needs stability and a manager who is willing to take on a shop needing improvement.

Stable company to work for, but very limited opportunity for growth.

Current Employee - Operator in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Operator in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Barnes Aerospace full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Stable, decent pay, lots of overtime (if you want it), great people to work with.

Cons

Low room for growth, arrogant management, slow to improve processes and equipment.

Stop demanding more, more, more without providing the resources to do more. End the "white-collar" vs "blue-collar" division by stating it out loud.

Barnes Aero Review

Current Employee - Purchasing Intern in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Purchasing Intern in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Barnes Aerospace as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Flexible on hours, decent pay

Cons

Very boring and repetitive work

Great work experience for a intern

Current Employee - Engineering Inter in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Engineering Inter in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Barnes Aerospace as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great people and laid back atmosphere

Cons

Facility needs updating. Some of the systems are outdated and inefficient.

Very educational, management understands what needs to happen

Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Ogden, UT
    Former Employee - Accounting Intern in Ogden, UT

I worked at Barnes Aerospace as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great management team, friendly work environment, your concerns are heard, flexible work schedule, willing to work with school schedules

Cons

A lot of time and personnel constraints, end of month close can be very hard, communication from corporate levels can be garbled

Keep on asking all levels for Lean suggestions

Don't count on them being around.

I worked at Barnes Aerospace full-time

Pros

Great group of people to work with. Operational and lower level senior managers are wonderful, the culture is great, everyone is committed on improving the company. They have a solid core service, talented staff from machinists to managers.

Cons

Schizophrenic senior managers with low attention spans at the top level from corporate and Barnes Group. There seems to be periodic civil wars between them and there is a battle to get on the life boats. Their subordinates and the company suffer as they will layoff and re-organize staff to obviously undermine other managers who must be a rival. This coupled with their obsession with share price has resulted in an unpredictable work place that will move forward then back with no warning and destroy all momentum. The company is stuck in the 1980's as no new ideas are ever allowed to be implemented fully.

Like a lightning bolt, these senior staff from corporate with no care or understanding will come in and announce staff changes, re-organizations, and layoffs without any knowledge of what is actually going on if sales are behind even for one quarter. They have no idea why sales will be down as they will not allow for coordination between departments and sites to be fully implemented nor will they invest to increase product offerings organically to attract and retain customers. Layoffs are not a last move but a first one as they seem afraid to invest for the long term to cure the problems of inefficiency, increasingly poor quality, no manufacturing flexibility, and a stagnant service offering of limited capabilities.

The company is not making solid investments for the future. Dies and tooling are worn, equipment is old, machinists although experienced are old and are not being replaced, facilities operate independent of one another with zero coordination. There are no moves to increase business organically rather they will announce layoffs, fail to replace those lost through retirement, sell off business units, and with the cash reserves just buy a business of which they have no knowledge. Great for their bonuses and the share price, bad for the core company.

Either sell the company to someone who will grow it organically or re-invest in it. Its bleeding internally and you just announce press releases saying how wonderful you are. You have done a great job keeping it together with tape and paint but eventually the rust will show and it will be too late to even sell. Dies and equipment can't be used in perpetuity without maintenance and updates, neither can people. Eventually you will be tagged as a place to not leave a job for as you are so quick to layoff or isolate talented managers and when you lose major customers to poor quality it will cost too much to upgrade all of your tooling. Just listen to your people, let them implement their ideas, and quit worrying about the share price or just sell it! Make up your mind!