Barnes Group

Barnes Group Reviews

Updated Jan 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Barnes Group President, CEO, and Director; Acting President, Barnes Aerospace Gregory F. Milzcik

Gregory F. Milzcik

Great company, sweet people, nice place to pork.

I have been working at Barnes Group

ProsIt is a good place to work, all the people around very seet

Consyou will always suffer from the mangement.

Great place to work, love the people

I have been working at Barnes Group

ProsGreat corporate culture, small company feel even though it is part of Barnes Group, Inc. Many opportunites to grow career, provide training, great group of people.

ConsWish not to disclose in order to remain anonymous...

Tight corporate structure which is hard to negotiate

Inventory Control (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barnes Group full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat benefits at all levels.

ConsVery little empowerment to those in the lower ranks.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Barnes Distribution, best company I have ever worked for, sucks they sold to MSC

Strategic Account Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barnes Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Pay, work hard and it pays off. NO micromanagement , great culture. company was not set for major growth which justifys the sell off. great reputation in the industry. pays salary plus commission. best people i have ever worked with. the hr team does a great job of hiring, average employee is with company forever

ConsSOLD off to MSC, Money Money Money, this company did not have that focus until the MSC purchase. we were all about the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the Barnes Promise

Not The Best Place to Work

Benefits Specialist (Former Employee)
Bristol, CT

I worked at Barnes Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe benefits and pay are good. As long as you're not in a management or leadership role the work/life balance is good.

ConsSenior leadership are arrogant, ultra-conservative and very stuffy. They set high goals but don't take the time to implement them properly.

Too bad they sold BDNA to MSC :(

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Barnes Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery employee friendly company almost to a fault. Very little if any micro-managing . Empowered all its employees to think outside the box

ConsVery liberal attendance policy handcuffed management at times. Company slow at times making decisions in all areas of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone- Senior management made some very hard well thought out decisions that were necessary during the recession. Was a good run while it lasted . Thank you

Sales

Sales (Former Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I worked at Barnes Group full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people were farily friendly across the board. The interview process was very nice and fairly quick without much delay. The product line was ok, however, when you needed something outside the catalog there were many delays and phone calls.

ConsWhen the new President was hired (the axe man) he had no emotional ties and didn't really care about the people. I would question his true character, however, his motives were clear...$$. Reduce salaries and try to convince everyone in the organization that the new pay structure would allow you to make more money!! Unfortunately, middle management had to deliver the news and even they didn't believe it (that was my opinion). Leadership was therefore very questionable and certainly they convinced the "share holders" this was the way to go. All promotions were shut down. Not sure how the organization is structured today.

Advice to Senior ManagementLead with character. Understand that flexibility is key in the field and provide middle management with the ability to make decisions if it makes sense. Soften your hard lines to gray. Understand that retention of your client base is of extreme importance and it takes more time then you allow to obtain new clients. It's a difficult economy and perhaps top leadership needs to have their salaries reduced. Treat your employees like they really matter and retention won't be a problem. Pay them well, real talent is hard to find even in this economy! Good luck.

CSS

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Champaign, IL

I have been working at Barnes Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsNot a hard job, make you own schedule

ConsWhat ever you sell its never enough. Budgets are almost unatanable.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to more of the employees and make budgets an incentive to make more money and keep employees.

Good company to work for

Customer Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at Barnes Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFreedom to work your own schedule, decent pay, some established accounts, great benefit package, FANTASTIC upper management (Regional Vice President) that cares about employees well being.

ConsTerritories are too spread out in some states, poor website design, a lot of time spent putting up orders, the pros outweigh the cons though

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems that management is getting younger, which in my case, is good because my new mgr (who is 29) is energized and willing to help with the hands on activities, such as taking out old bins/drawers and putting in new ones, etc.

Hang on to your seat.. its going to be bumpy

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
Cleveland, OH

I worked at Barnes Group as a contractor for less than a year

ProsOpportunity for change, finally getting on board with current technology, open forums to voice your own opinion (at your risk though). Decent hours

ConsTunnel vision managers, bipolar managers, still have lots of legacy technology, favoritism, sometimes no chance to earn bonus. Employee awards seem to be given out arbitrarily.

Worked for Barnes Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes Group CEO Gregory F. Milzcik. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Barnes Group employees.