Barnes Group

Barnes Group Reviews

Updated Jan 21, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Barnes Group President, CEO, and Director; Acting President, Barnes Aerospace Gregory F. Milzcik

Gregory F. Milzcik

Barnes Distribution, best company I have ever worked for, sucks they sold to MSC

Strategic Account Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barnes Group full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Pay, work hard and it pays off. NO micromanagement , great culture. company was not set for major growth which justifys the sell off. great reputation in the industry. pays salary plus commission. best people i have ever worked with. the hr team does a great job of hiring, average employee is with company forever

ConsSOLD off to MSC, Money Money Money, this company did not have that focus until the MSC purchase. we were all about the customer.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay true to the Barnes Promise

Incredible opportunity

CSS (Current Employee)
Kalispell, MT

I have been working at Barnes Group full-time for less than a year

ProsIn the region I am in there are several talented individuals, from the reps up to the RSM. We are encouraged daily. Barnes has an extensive education and information system. They are truly concerned about their people. They want the reps to be successful, and they want us to have fun.The plan expectations can be daunting, but once you get your head around it, it's challenging and fun. I am GRATEFUL for every day I get to go to work for Barnes. This is actually the second time I have worked for Barnes. Every job has it's frustrating issues. You just have to put your head down and plow through.

ConsAntiquated wireless capabilities.( still better than doing it by hand!)

Advice to Senior ManagementDesign a new hire " things you'll need" package.

Outstanding Company- achieves excelent Results Annually.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Bristol, CT

I worked at Barnes Group

ProsAll Non-sales/non-union employees are bonus eligible, unique in industry. Very competitive benefits package. Management places significant emphasis on development programs. Opportunity to gain financial security with restricted stock and options for eligible employees.

ConsDemanding culture, very process driven.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on management development and promotions from within. Grow the company faster with acquisitions.

Great company, sweet people, nice place to pork.

I have been working at Barnes Group

ProsIt is a good place to work, all the people around very seet

Consyou will always suffer from the mangement.

Great place to work, love the people

I have been working at Barnes Group

ProsGreat corporate culture, small company feel even though it is part of Barnes Group, Inc. Many opportunites to grow career, provide training, great group of people.

ConsWish not to disclose in order to remain anonymous...

Must hold all employees accountable

Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Barnes Group full-time for more than 8 years

ProsPay, People, Customers, Lean Methodologies

ConsFinger pointing and politics play a hand in not getting things done

Advice to Senior ManagementHold all accountable for missing what ever target is missed.

Too bad they sold BDNA to MSC :(

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Barnes Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsVery employee friendly company almost to a fault. Very little if any micro-managing . Empowered all its employees to think outside the box

ConsVery liberal attendance policy handcuffed management at times. Company slow at times making decisions in all areas of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone- Senior management made some very hard well thought out decisions that were necessary during the recession. Was a good run while it lasted . Thank you

Customer service lead

ProsGood Benefits package and value

Conslimited room for advancement within

Good company to work for

Customer Sales Specialist (Current Employee)
Hattiesburg, MS

I have been working at Barnes Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFreedom to work your own schedule, decent pay, some established accounts, great benefit package, FANTASTIC upper management (Regional Vice President) that cares about employees well being.

ConsTerritories are too spread out in some states, poor website design, a lot of time spent putting up orders, the pros outweigh the cons though

Advice to Senior ManagementIt seems that management is getting younger, which in my case, is good because my new mgr (who is 29) is energized and willing to help with the hands on activities, such as taking out old bins/drawers and putting in new ones, etc.

Good Job

Customer Sales Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barnes Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSchedule Flexibility, Good Base Pay, Car/Phone Allowance, Commission, and Incentive trips and bonuses...Good sales team support

ConsToo much red tape to truly take care of customer's needs...Limited Income potential in comparison to the number of hours worked. In order to make a considerably more income you would have to work 48 hours a day (I know there is 24 hours in a day). Basically you only have so much time in a day, so many customers to see during the week/month/year that leads to commission above your base pay that is not equivalent to the hours worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe creattive and allow sales reps compare pricing to the local area and market. To be competitive you have to adjust profit margins, however there are instances where you can achieve greater profit margins if given the flexibility. It takes too much time and delay to get simple requests accomplished.

Worked for Barnes Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barnes Group reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Barnes Group CEO Gregory F. Milzcik. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by Barnes Group employees.