Barnes Group

www.barnesgroupinc.com

Barnes Group Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Barnes Group President, CEO, and Director; Acting President, Barnes Aerospace Gregory F. Milzcik

Gregory F. Milzcik

Not the place to be if you want to make money

Sales Representative (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsHome based. Flexible hours. Good and helpful field reps.

ConsHORRIBLE commision structure. Very low salary. Unrealistic yearly budgets. Zero help from inside sales. Have Business Develepment Specialists("Hunters"), who are non-exsistent. Poor and outdated technology. Average wait to talk to a CS person is 20 to 30 minutes. These are people in your own company. Poor follow-up from Product Specialists if there is a problem in the field. Car and fuel allowance woeful. Spend an average of 150.00 per month out of pocket for fuel purchase

Advice to Senior ManagementStop short changing your sales staff. A 1 percent bonus as an incentive to make budget is laughable at best. Get with the 21st century technology wise. Increase company visability. Barnes supplies Nascar with nuts and bolts, why not use that as a selling feature?

No growth, lack of strategic direction, no communication, outdated business model

ProsGreat people
    Relaxed business hours - field reps are home-based

ConsManagers do not respect employees and manage with fear and intimidation
    Value-proposition is out-dated and does not meet current customer needs/desires
    Lots of turn-over as company chases unachievable metrics
    Poor recognition program --- favoritism is rampart
    No growth for past decade as company tries to find identity and name recognition
    Management is out of touch with day-to-day obstacles and field sales operations

Advice to Senior ManagementTons of opportunity to improve, if you would just listen to the people who drive your business day-to-day. Continued turnover will drive an increase in account losses. Customers buy from their reps, not the company and these reps need to be heard and given support versus being managed out the door. Stop losing corporate accounts, and start generating some corporate wins. The lost business cannot be made-up from field level activities alone.

Painfull at best

ProsFlexible work schedule. Able to work from home.

ConsExtremely high turnover within middle and upper managment. Technology inferstructure is outdated and SLOW! Sales reps wait on hold for up to an hour for customer service . Reduced expence/gas rembursment to flat rate that is not close to being accurate. All extra gas and expence comes out of Rep's pocket. Zero contact with your direct manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has lost touch with the sales force. Stop with the useless meetings and conference calls to pat yourselves on the back. get in the field and find out what is really going on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A lousy company

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsGreat product selection, quick efficient shipment of orders. Very good schedule at work

ConsI just can't believe what a nightmare working here was! It was awful. After sitting through the worst two weeks of training I have ever had in my life it went downhill from there. Manager was terrible, knew nothing, no experience, helpless. Refused to help me. My managers boss was incompetent. not a clue. Called corporate office one day needing help, spent 45 minutes on hold waiting to talk to a CSR. What does it tell you about a company that thinks it's good that people spend 45 minutes on hold to talk to a CSR?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on a plane, spend a week making sales calls with team. LISTEN TO WHAT SALES TEAM HAS TO SAY!!!! Take action on what you learn. Do an employee survey, MANAGE FROM THE BOTTOM UP!!!!!!!! Listen to the members of your team, they can help!

Hired, and then months later position is cut, due to a "reduction in force"

Business Development Specialist (Current Employee)

ProsRichardson Sales training was excellent. Home-office. Direct manager was supportive, as were field sales reps. Company was very big on using new technology to support role to gain new accounts. Subsidy given to get up-and-running -- you can focus on developing and learning the business without the home-finances distraction.

ConsPersonal:
    Due to IMI Market data the job was rescinded 5 months after being given the opportunity. Needless to say, I feel like I lost 1/2 of a year of my life. Two months after being hired I should have realized there was a problem when corporate took away expense and mileage reimbursement program to institute a flat reimbursement that didn't cover expenses, tolls, meals, etc.

Systemic:
    Archaic ordering system, reps are on the phone with corporate for long periods of time. Reps - and CSS' especially - with larger territories are penalized with the flat vehicle/mileage allowance, which will result directly with less sales from reps not visiting accounts as frequently, or cold-calling on new accounts.

Quota was unrealistic. The quota 5 yrs before was $60k for the 1st year - my quota was $150k for the 1st year in 2010 - what kind of inflation rate was this at? When I left there were 2 out of 87 reps at quota. WARNING: When you leave the job, you will be thinking you are lousy at sales, and it will make hiring elsewhere a harder sell - what were your numbers?!?

Advice to Senior ManagementI would have to agree that the move to a larger territory / larger opportunity focus is the right move to make with the new role of "Strategic Account Manager". Set realistic quotas. Try not to be penny-wise and pound-foolish regarding the expense reimbursement policy for the CSS'. Thank you for the training, I almost feel bad you didn't give yourself the chance to recoup your investment in me.

Very dissatisfied with promotions, commission structure and position limitations.

Regional Business Development Specialist (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsProduct depth is large and customer base potential is unlimited. History of company is long and of good reputation.

ConsManagement is inept at managing a sales driven organization. Company is very reactive instead of proactive. Constant unsettling changes.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand how a sales organization should be about the sales people and not about the management. Become ProActive!

Was offered a Crowned Prince position, but lived as a servant to the CRM and long hours doing quotes/presentation.

Business Development Specialist (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThe "Speed to Ramp" corp. training class for BDS's did reinforce some areas of difficulty a sales person has while interacting with a customer (prospect). It gave informational materials for continual review by the sales professional after the class. However, it is taught in a "perfect world" setting. The starting salary for a BDS is not bad and possibly the only reason most stay with the program after about 4 months in the field. They offer health/dental/401K w/ match as of day one. Most of the employees in the Cleveland office are very helpful and pleasant.

ConsBeing able to make your yearly sales plan with Barnes is almost unattainable. The aggressive approach is a turn off to potential prospects and hurts the sales process long term. The long hours spent on quotes and putting together final presentations takes a great deal of your personal time. Prepare to spend many hours after the business day ends doing CRM reporting and other reports. The company server is very slow which makes the process even longer. The CRM is a wonderful tool. It is a way to document your daily interactions with customers and the sales stage of each potential account. However, instead of the CRM being used as a tool it feels as if it is a weapon. After the Speed to Ramp training you will have "toll gate" reviews every 30, 60, 90 & 120 days. These toll gates are not accurate and they represent a false evaluation of the BDS and the work they have done. Most BDS's are hired a month or more before they are sent to the training in Cleveland. Instead of the toll gate reviews starting the first business day after training they are based on your date of hire. So, regardless you will always be behind. The toll gate is a one sided review of the BDS and their territory. They make notes as to your performance based on the CRM usage and the BDS has to sign the review regardless if it reflects your actual performance. This was very frustrating and in most cases leaves the BDS feeling unappreciated and under valued. I would not recommend this position to other sales professionals. Without notice or reason they reduced their sales force by 1/3 in March. After all the devotion to this position the BDS's in my region was given only a letter stating that their association with Barnes Distribution had ceased, on March xx (date of termination). To many of us this was a slap in the face after months of working so hard to promote their company and products. Shame on you Barnes, we all expected more from the new president that took over January 1, 2011.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be a saving grace to the main leadership of Barnes Group/Barnes Distribution to turn around the poor handling of the reduction in work force. These people deserve to have a written letter that states they did nothing wrong and their positions were eliminated. The verbal message to all was the same (based on my research of 10 dismissed BDS's), "Based on a company restructuring, your position as BDS has been eliminated as of today". Your corporate letter reads we were terminated and this hurts more than being let go. Shame on you if you don't rectify this poor judgement in business etiquette.

Move into the now...

ProsThe people (who are left) at the division level only

ConsSBU and Senior Level Management have forgotten about the employees being their most important assets and turned the numbers into the most important assets; as the company comes out of dealing with the recession and economic downturn, the leadership at all levels above the division have actually tightened the reign further. There is zero faith in the leaders of this organization to get it done. In fact, the game has turned to focusing on politics and throwing darts to discredit various individuals instead of supporting the folks at the lower levels who are making the product and managing those who make the product to get it out the door and to our most valued customers. Let's also not forget about the hidden agendas and the push for diversity that is so one-sided that the company is sure to be involved in a lawsuit sooner than later. No recommendation of any kind would come from the mouth of this employee to join this company, no matter what segment a person could potentially interview for; finally, as soon as a new position is found by this employee, they are out...they are just biding their time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing politics and the 150 year old mentality that you claim to be changing, engage your employees and get back in touch with them, take the blinders off, stop talking, and start getting things done - for the good of the entire 5000+ employees that you claim are your 'greatest assets.'

Stay away...this company has a lot of issues and a history of employee turnover.

Mid-Level Manager (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsYou get a paycheck every month.

ConsLeaders in organization do not believe in the employees' development or well-being. They are more concerned about their image and career.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmotional intelligence is something you have to actually believe in and care about. Just saying the words and reading about it doesn't make it real. Your employees are your assets...start treating them as they are assets rather than slaves.

It was a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome great people worked there. Good place to earn commission based income. Great products to sell. Good sales support ,some products are in demand.

Constoo many managers. Too any salespeople in small territories fighting for the same piece of the pie.

Advice to Senior Managementcut the size of managers

Worked for Barnes Group? Contribute to the Community!