Barnes Group

www.barnesgroupinc.com
Profile Unclaimed

I have made a good living over the years.

Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Barnes Group

Pros

Company uses to its advantage self motivated sales people by offering commission dollars and freedom of work schedule.

Cons

commission rate (compared to the price level structure) has been raided by senior mgt

Review commission rates and purge sales force of people who are not suited for this job. Stop milking commissions from the 5 decimal place pricing structure. Stop copy catting the Fastenal way of treating employees.

Outstanding Company- achieves excelent Results Annually.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bristol, CT

I worked at Barnes Group

Pros

All Non-sales/non-union employees are bonus eligible, unique in industry. Very competitive benefits package. Management places significant emphasis on development programs. Opportunity to gain financial security with restricted stock and options for eligible employees.

Cons

Demanding culture, very process driven.

Stay focused on management development and promotions from within. Grow the company faster with acquisitions.

It is a job!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bronx, NY

I have been working at Barnes Group

Pros

Salary, Benefits, work at home

Cons

Management, no communication between management and employees

Leave us alone out in the field

A lousy company

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Denver, CO

I worked at Barnes Group

Pros

Great product selection, quick efficient shipment of orders. Very good schedule at work

Cons

I just can't believe what a nightmare working here was! It was awful. After sitting through the worst two weeks of training I have ever had in my life it went downhill from there. Manager was terrible, knew nothing, no experience, helpless. Refused to help me. My managers boss was incompetent. not a clue. Called corporate office one day needing help, spent 45 minutes on hold waiting to talk to a CSR. What does it tell you about a company that thinks it's good that people spend 45 minutes on hold to talk to a CSR?

Get on a plane, spend a week making sales calls with team. LISTEN TO WHAT SALES TEAM HAS TO SAY!!!! Take action on what you learn. Do an employee survey, MANAGE FROM THE BOTTOM UP!!!!!!!! Listen to the members of your team, they can help!

Was offered a Crowned Prince position, but lived as a servant to the CRM and long hours doing quotes/presentation.

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Barnes Group

Pros

The "Speed to Ramp" corp. training class for BDS's did reinforce some areas of difficulty a sales person has while interacting with a customer (prospect). It gave informational materials for continual review by the sales professional after the class. However, it is taught in a "perfect world" setting. The starting salary for a BDS is not bad and possibly the only reason most stay with the program after about 4 months in the field. They offer health/dental/401K w/ match as of day one. Most of the employees in the Cleveland office are very helpful and pleasant.

Cons

Being able to make your yearly sales plan with Barnes is almost unattainable. The aggressive approach is a turn off to potential prospects and hurts the sales process long term. The long hours spent on quotes and putting together final presentations takes a great deal of your personal time. Prepare to spend many hours after the business day ends doing CRM reporting and other reports. The company server is very slow which makes the process even longer. The CRM is a wonderful tool. It is a way to document your daily interactions with customers and the sales stage of each potential account. However, instead of the CRM being used as a tool it feels as if it is a weapon. After the Speed to Ramp training you will have "toll gate" reviews every 30, 60, 90 & 120 days. These toll gates are not accurate and they represent a false evaluation of the BDS and the work they have done. Most BDS's are hired a month or more before they are sent to the training in Cleveland. Instead of the toll gate reviews starting the first business day after training they are based on your date of hire. So, regardless you will always be behind. The toll gate is a one sided review of the BDS and their territory. They make notes as to your performance based on the CRM usage and the BDS has to sign the review regardless if it reflects your actual performance. This was very frustrating and in most cases leaves the BDS feeling unappreciated and under valued. I would not recommend this position to other sales professionals. Without notice or reason they reduced their sales force by 1/3 in March. After all the devotion to this position the BDS's in my region was given only a letter stating that their association with Barnes Distribution had ceased, on March xx (date of termination). To many of us this was a slap in the face after months of working so hard to promote their company and products. Shame on you Barnes, we all expected more from the new president that took over January 1, 2011.

It would be a saving grace to the main leadership of Barnes Group/Barnes Distribution to turn around the poor handling of the reduction in work force. These people deserve to have a written letter that states they did nothing wrong and their positions were eliminated. The verbal message to all was the same (based on my research of 10 dismissed BDS's), "Based on a company restructuring, your position as BDS has been eliminated as of today". Your corporate letter reads we were terminated and this hurts more than being let go. Shame on you if you don't rectify this poor judgement in business etiquette.

Very dissatisfied with promotions, commission structure and position limitations.

Current Employee - Regional Business Development Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Regional Business Development Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Barnes Group

Pros

Product depth is large and customer base potential is unlimited. History of company is long and of good reputation.

Cons

Management is inept at managing a sales driven organization. Company is very reactive instead of proactive. Constant unsettling changes.

Understand how a sales organization should be about the sales people and not about the management. Become ProActive!

Perpetual Change

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at Barnes Group

Pros

Finally a growing company again
    Deep pocket diversified economic stability
    Continuous improvement philosophy
    Aggressive compensation
    Accelerated training programs
    Guided by highly ethical moral compass

Cons

The perpetual change here can be a downer. Innovators are not given the appropriate platform to contribute. Too much outsourcing and external consulting has left the true subject-matter experts to feel a bit slighted by the 3rd party and their own company.

I would like to see mid-level manager held accountable for poor performance. Bigger investments need made in the human infrastructure of the organization in addition to systems and off-the shelf solutions.

Stay away...this company has a lot of issues and a history of employee turnover.

Former Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Barnes Group

Pros

You get a paycheck every month.

Cons

Leaders in organization do not believe in the employees' development or well-being. They are more concerned about their image and career.

Emotional intelligence is something you have to actually believe in and care about. Just saying the words and reading about it doesn't make it real. Your employees are your assets...start treating them as they are assets rather than slaves.

Barnes, it's o.k.

Former Employee - Recruiter in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Cleveland, OH

I worked at Barnes Group

Pros

Great location, good people. Lean initiatives have been hard for many to adapt to, but short term discomfort will lead to long term good. Company is small enought that people know each other on a personal level and can work well together. There is good communication between teams and departments in HQ.

Cons

Tough economy measns more work for everyone, burn out is high. The upper management spends to much time in meetings, and not enough time offering visible inspiring leadership. It always amazed me that people that should be there to suppport their teams, would spend entire weeks never being available.

Stop meeting and start doing. There is not enough leadership by example.

Don't trust Greg.

Current Employee - Manager in Bristol, CT
    Current Employee - Manager in Bristol, CT

I have been working at Barnes Group

Pros

Good bonuses and flexible work times, summer hours are great. The food used to be good, but they got rid of that benefit. The parking lot is small so even if it raining, you don't get too wet.

Cons

The CEO has an agenda and no people skills. Most of the senior management hate each other and go to great pains to stick it to one of their peers subordinates. The office environment is pins and needles all the time. Greg likes to walk around and think all the time, but people view it as his inability to connect with anyone as his greatess problem.

Watch your back because Greg is not trustworthy. He is smart, but the best leaders need more than horsepower to be successful.