Barnes Group

Barnes Group Reviews

Updated January 9, 2015
Updated January 9, 2015
3.2

Barnes Group President, CEO, and Director; Acting President, Barnes Aerospace Gregory F. Milzcik
Gregory F. Milzcik

Pros
  • Great Benefits and pension plans (in 3 reviews)

• Company uses to its advantage self motivated sales people by offering commission dollars and freedom of work schedule (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • There is a lot of turnover, some because of changes instituted by upper management (in 5 reviews)

• Too any salespeople in small territories fighting for the same piece of the pie (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Must hold all employees accountable

Former Employee - Management
    Former Employee - Management

I worked at Barnes Group full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay, People, Customers, Lean Methodologies

Cons

Finger pointing and politics play a hand in not getting things done

Hold all accountable for missing what ever target is missed.

It was a good place to work

I worked at Barnes Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some great people worked there. Good place to earn commission based income. Great products to sell. Good sales support ,some products are in demand.

Cons

too many managers. Too any salespeople in small territories fighting for the same piece of the pie.

cut the size of managers

Customer service lead

I have been working at Barnes Group

Pros

Good Benefits package and value

Cons

limited room for advancement within

Good Job

Current Employee - Customer Sales Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Sales Specialist

I have been working at Barnes Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Schedule Flexibility, Good Base Pay, Car/Phone Allowance, Commission, and Incentive trips and bonuses...Good sales team support

Cons

Too much red tape to truly take care of customer's needs...Limited Income potential in comparison to the number of hours worked. In order to make a considerably more income you would have to work 48 hours a day (I know there is 24 hours in a day). Basically you only have so much time in a day, so many customers to see during the week/month/year that leads to commission above your base pay that is not equivalent to the hours worked.

Be creattive and allow sales reps compare pricing to the local area and market. To be competitive you have to adjust profit margins, however there are instances where you can achieve greater profit margins if given the flexibility. It takes too much time and delay to get simple requests accomplished.

No growth, lack of strategic direction, no communication, outdated business model

I have been working at Barnes Group full-time

Pros

Great people
    Relaxed business hours - field reps are home-based

Cons

Managers do not respect employees and manage with fear and intimidation
    Value-proposition is out-dated and does not meet current customer needs/desires
    Lots of turn-over as company chases unachievable metrics
    Poor recognition program --- favoritism is rampart
    No growth for past decade as company tries to find identity and name recognition
    Management is out of touch with day-to-day obstacles and field sales operations

Tons of opportunity to improve, if you would just listen to the people who drive your business day-to-day. Continued turnover will drive an increase in account losses. Customers buy from their reps, not the company and these reps need to be heard and given support versus being managed out the door. Stop losing corporate accounts, and start generating some corporate wins. The lost business cannot be made-up from field level activities alone.

Not a bad experience but not a great one either.

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Barnes Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent learning opportunities, provided unlimited resources for learning. Excellent training in person and online.

Cons

Immediate supervisor were not trained on fasteners.When doing a sales call they knew nothing about the product a HUGE HINDERANCE. Compensation plan was much lower than presented during interview process.

Better product for frontline managers and realistic quotas for the salesforce.

Ok. Treated respectfully and good comp. so much opportunity.

I have been working at Barnes Group

Pros

Good job managing the financials,Small company atmosphere. Flexibility. Generally respectful. They r trying.

Cons

Communication top down needs to be enhanced.

Promote based on skills, capabilities and accomplishment at management levels ... Please stop churning the old blood who have been around forever, have their favorites, and only know what they know based on years at Barnes. It's a big world out there with so many top notch execs out there who will come in and make the tough decisions and move Barnes through the step changes they need to make to be truly great!

Many changes over a short amount of time. Company rewards managers with bad behavior.

I have been working at Barnes Group

Pros

Location, access to leadership. fun activities.

Cons

Employees are not always treated with respect by managers.
    Managers get away with bad behavior and are rewarded.
    Managers not held to the same standard as employees.

get rid of the bad apples.

OK I guess

Former Employee - Customer Sales Specialist
    Former Employee - Customer Sales Specialist

I worked at Barnes Group

Pros

Felixble Schedule, seeing clients and helping them out, lots of autonomy if you are hitting your goals, industrial dress code. I actually liked the job and was successful at it.

Cons

Constant Price increases, commission rates based on jacking prices up on the customers, pay is pretty bad, management is the worst of any company I've ever worked for, trying to fit all customers into "VMI" even though alot of companies do not want this (lose alot of sales b/c of this), bad reputation in the market b/c of shady reps

Hire some managers with experience. Fastenal has crazy turnover so I'm sure you could find some there. Promoting from with in would help too. Also to Senior Management, get off your computers/conference calls and get in the field. Don't just come see us when we have "big meetings", but ride with us on a regular day. Had 2 of these with my manager in 2 years with the company. 1/2 the time I couldn't get anyone on the phone. One last thing is if you're promoting "sales growth" you need to let out to pasture these old man reps. These guys have been doing this for 20-30-40 years, you actually think they're going to make a cold call or drum up new business?

Good company that gives you tools to do your job well

I worked at Barnes Group

Pros

Corporate support
    Abundant up to date sales materials
    Excellent communication technologies and systems
    Excellent paid training at HQ
    Great benefits

Cons

Some regional, BDS's and market managers play favorites and will stab you in the back while smiling in our face.

Stop letting Business Development Specialist control who gets what account.
    Work with the sales guys instead talking behind their backs like you're still in eighth grade.