Barnes-Jewish Hospital Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Barnes-Jewish Hospital President Robert Cannon
Robert Cannon

Pros
  • This is a huge company with very good benefits compared to others (in 9 reviews)

• Prestigous company as far as one of the top hospitals around, decent health benefits, tuition reimbursement ( (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge (in 3 reviews)

• Patient care techs are lazy, poor team work (in 3 reviews)

1. Great Atmosphere!

Former Employee - Patient Care Tech in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Patient Care Tech in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Barnes-Jewish Hospital (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Management! My supervisor was outstanding. She was very helpful and hands on. They also had a great schedule setup... Work three days then off for four. Great pay!

Cons

Training was terrible. If you are not a natural you will struggle. Nurses are sometimes very swamped, they have to do almost everything.

Advice to Management

Please choose someone that is more experienced for training. Longer training would also be more helpful in order for people to be trained properly.

2. Good Learning, Poor Salary, Little Movement

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Alton, IL
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Alton, IL

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital (More than 3 years)

Pros

Tuition Reimbursement is a plus

Cons

Low paying salary little to no advancement

3. Staff RN (83ICU)

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

My unit is an amazing place to work. We have wonderful team work and we are constantly encouraged to participate in unit practice committee's to improve what we are doing. It can be a no blame environment. The management team is great on 83ICU. Lots of overtime, you could work as much as you want, anywhere you want. Today you feel like you want to pick up a shift in Neuro? No problem. How about CT ICU next week too?

Cons

Low pay! Nepotistic seniority practices (sometimes it's unit based seniority, sometimes it's hospital based seniority) Day/Night Rotate with no set schedule. You could work one day, then a night shift, then a day shift or vice versa within a four day span.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately low pay is a Barnes wide issue but you have problems with recruitment because the nurses are paid much lower here than most places in St. Louis. And Day/Night Rotate is ridiculous!!! Make people work straight days or straight nights. Flip-floping in the middle of the week is hard on your body and makes it difficult to have a good schedule for your families. Also, be more transparent, some decisions are very based on who your friends are, or who your parents are in the system.

Nurse Review

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Started at BJH about one year ago. Since that time I have noticed many positive aspects about working for Barnes: the educational advancement, great flexibility in schedules/switches, and the reputation. Many times, patients already have an image of Barnes being the "best" so they feel comfort in being there which, in turn, helps with their overall health. Although Barnes is "huge", many employees will walk by and greet you with a "hello" and a "smile". I have heard many people say Barnes is its own "Metropolis". Although this may be true, each time I go to work feels like home. I really cannot see myself ever working anywhere else.

Cons

There is a lot of micromanagement, lazy employees, low pay, low staffing...etc. There is a lack of teamwork throughout the hospital, which is very upsetting because if everyone worked together, we would all get out on time. The cafeteria food is absolutely disgusting! Every time I smell it, I want to vomit. I have to make sure to pack my lunch because I know nothing is ever going to taste good. The parking is great for the night shift, but is horrible for day shift. Imagine having to work at 7:00 am, wanting to get to work early to research patients and having to park far away and try to jump on a bus in time. I feel bad for day shift nurses! Also, almost every floor in the hospital is HOT! I go to work sweating like a pig before I even start my shift. The temp should decrease a lot especially due to the risk of bacteria the hospital can acquire. Lastly, and most importantly, if you want the BEST nurses and some have higher degrees than others, pay them for it. Make it known that if you go to school and take the extra time to earn a higher degree, that you will be rewarded for it. Stop being so cheap! If you transfer from one position to another, don't expect to get a raise. It seems Barnes is doing you a favor by placing you in a new environment, so they won't pay you to work with higher acuities.

Advice to Management

Stop the micromanaging! If employees do not get a lunch and clock out "no lunch" stop emailing us right away to find out why. If we all had a busy night, that is why. I understand how we all need to be accountable for taking a 30-minute, uninterrupted lunch, but that doesn't always happen because we are SHORT STAFFED! Bring more people on board and be faster about it! Also, there are some lead charge nurses who are verbally abusive. Get rid of these nurses. Stop trying to make them "better" and send them to classes. If someone treats their own nurses like this, imagine the kind of care they are giving patients. Also, Barnes has too great of a status to deal with leadership that bullies nurses. In fact, there should not be room for it at all. If 20 people are all complaining about the same nurse, they need to be let go. Nurses are too busy and have too much on their plates to have to deal with the stress and anxiety that comes from micromanagers who are not truly leaders and do not understand what it takes to be a good leader.

6. Medical assistant

Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Chesterfield, MO
    Former Employee - Certified Medical Assistant in Chesterfield, MO

I worked at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, security, doctors and coworkers were very equal and had great working relationship, technology up to date, very good team environment

Cons

Missing my kids as babies, getting attached to patients, trying to explain immunization a to crying children and new parents

Advice to Management

They did a great job as a team. I really have no advice. I had to leave due to my new baby having respiratory problems.

7. EVS Supervisor

Former Employee - Environmental Services Supervisor in Kirkwood, MO
    Former Employee - Environmental Services Supervisor in Kirkwood, MO

I worked at Barnes-Jewish Hospital (More than a year)

Pros

Met lots of people daily, enjoyed surroundings and pace of work.

Cons

Felt left out of loop and unattached to department operations. Felt forces to accept new position at busier facility.

Advice to Management

Involve Supervisors more in decision making process.

8. Overworked and Underpaid

Current Employee - Staff Nurse
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks good on your resume and it's good experience.

Cons

Staffing numbers are a problem. To make a decent salary you have to pick up extra shifts and work overtime, otherwise you will end up making less than $40,000/year.

9. RN

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Pros

Great supervisors and team effort

Cons

Benefits decreasing and CEO does not work with employees

Advice to Management

Remember your employees are people

10. Staff Nurse

Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good staff to work with. Good sense of team on the floor among most of the nursing/PCT personnel.

Cons

Consistent short-staffing with high acuity assignments. Day shift/Night shift politics.

Advice to Management

Get good staff and enough of them. You lose people when under-staffing becomes a longer term problem, causing a downward cycle.

11. Overnight Work

Former Employee - Overnight Housekeeping in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Overnight Housekeeping in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work was consistent and varies throughout night

Cons

Having time to take care of calls and still get your general work done when there is not that many people at work.

RSS Feed </> Embed