Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Updated September 23, 2014
3.6

Barnes-Jewish Hospital President Richard Liekweg
Richard Liekweg

Pros
  • This is a huge company with very good benefits compared to others (in 9 reviews)

• Prestigous company as far as one of the top hospitals around, decent health benefits, tuition reimbursement ( (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work-life balance, lots of BS from HR about caring about this but not very true (in 3 reviews)

• Many lazy secretaries and patient care techs (and some nurses) (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

Former Employee - Staff Nurse
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse

I worked at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to learn and grow professionally, being a teaching facility. Enjoyed the atmosphere, managers, staff. Great place to start as a new grad, or continue as an experienced nurse.

Cons

Parking for day shift workers is far away from the facility. It was a 10 -15 min. walk from the parking lot to the floor, or a 5 min. shuttle ride to the hospital campus (provided by BJC).

I felt like compensation, bonuses, perks could have been higher.

It is very corporate, but a gritty learning experience.

Former Employee - Staff Nurse  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Staff Nurse in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

They provide for advancing yourself academically. You will learn a ton on the job. Earned time off is pretty good. Scheduling is flexible. Your job is pretty secure unless you are really incompetent.

Cons

Lots of corporate nonsense. It takes forever for any change to be implemented. Many management positions have to justify themselves by creating more work for the nurses. Many lazy secretaries and patient care techs (and some nurses). Bad attitudes abound. Promotions into management are often given to unqualified people. Compensation is low in comparison to many other cities. Annual raises do not often even match the rate of inflation.

Excellent medicine, horrible people leaders

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Having access to great physicians, health plan may not cover it. Having an academic medical campus on your resume, nursing staff are paid exceptionally well.

Cons

Poor people leaders, no accountability, disengaged VPs and directors. Human resources has zero voice at BJH, everything that happens is dictated by our directors and VPs an managers. HR take this "advice" approach, I have never worked anywhere that Hr sat in the background and didn't take control. Employees hate accountability so at every opportunity they try to file law suits and charges and waste time appealing write ups. My manager spends more time preparing to defend her position on writing an employee up than managing out floor.

Our leaders at BJH must are seriously looking at the world through blacked out glasses. So many people are unhappy, so many patients are stuck with these miserable staff and the good people just want to move on.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Finance department

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time

Pros

Variety of projects, good mix of ad hoc reports to routine reporting, learn new software, exposure to various levels of management, functions and employees, good benefits including tuition reimbursement, dynamic industry in general.

Cons

Slow to hire and fire employees leads to frustration in department, physical environment/location of department is worst on campus.

Stop hiring just because you have the budget for it, remove lazy/incompetent employees.

Stressful

I worked at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The patients are the best thing at this hospital , transport staff are excellent

Cons

Management was not always consistent in following policy, had favorites in the department . If one was not in good graces with the supervisor then you raises showed that.
    Not much room to advance.

Be consistent in following policies . Not let personal feeling get in the way of treating the employee.

Good internship experience

I worked at Barnes-Jewish Hospital as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Social workers were great in social work department on psychiatry floor. Most of the staff were very nice.

Cons

Psych residents always variable. Some were really good and nice, others weren't empathetic towards patients.

Stressed a team approach but sometimes it seemed like the psychiatrists just made the decisions and disregarding everyone else's input.

Why does the CEO get huge pay increases yet staff does not?

Current Employee - Staff Nurse  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Staff Nurse in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital part-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Co-workers make it worthwhile.

Cons

Understaffed and very little staff recognition when job is done well

Give us more than a 2% raise especially when the CEO is making MILLIONS every year

Resident/Fellow Review (Physician)

Current Employee - Physician  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Physician in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I get to work with top-tier physicians and see an excellent spectrum of patients. Ancillary staff and lab services are above average. Pay is reasonable for residents/fellows, especially because of the low cost of living in the Midwest.

Cons

The EMR is a nightmare made of 4 (5, 6?) different systems that don't communicate well (or at all) with one another. This is all in one hospital!

Dump the sunken-cost fallacy of Compass/Allscripts and homebrew Clindesk and buy into an EMR with full integration such as Epic.

Entry Level and Enjoying It

Current Employee - Employment Specialist  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Employment Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance. Incredible benefits. Helping me pay for school. Ability to transfer if desired.

Cons

None to mention at this time.

I really enjoy each of my supervisors.

Great Employer, Excellent Benefits

I have been working at Barnes-Jewish Hospital

Pros

The health insurance is great here and you get to work with some of the best doctors and nurses in the country

Cons

Very busy, fast paced environment. Work/life balance can be a challenge.

I would like to see BJC go to a pay-for performance model.

Barnes-Jewish Hospital Photos

Worked for Barnes-Jewish Hospital? Contribute to the Community!